Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 456 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

My life is too short to put laminate in any room ever again. I’ll walk on plywood first . They have sold about a billion sq ft in Canada and sent about half that to recyclers in the last decade. .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

My life is too short to put laminate in any room ever again. I’ll walk on plywood first . They have sold about a billion sq ft in Canada and sent about half that to recyclers in the last decade. .

I put down 200sq in a basement playroom in 2004, got it from IKEA. It took 20 years of hard play from 3 kids and was like new when I replaced it a month ago with lux vinyl.

I put down 500sq in a rental place 2 years ago, and it’s showing its age. Different quality as it started raising at the seams.

Nice thing is it’s cheap, easy in and easy out. I’d never put it in my personal residence.

We have 3500 sq of it ugly and cheap will do hardwood when we renovate. Unfortunately that 300 to 400g I am not ready to spend

Sent from the future

Don’t give my wife ideas…the counter needs to be raised 1” because the soap box won’t open on the new washer…

🤦🏻‍♂️
It might not be too hard if the counter and cabinet are screwed in and not nailed/glued/concreted in... Remove them from the wall, raise the cabinet (from the bottom) and counter (maybe even leave them attached together). Trim out the bottom of cabinet (kick, gable end, etc) were the gap is now showing.

It might not be too hard if the counter and cabinet are screwed in and not nailed/glued/concreted in... Remove them from the wall, raise the cabinet (from the bottom) and counter (maybe even leave them attached together). Trim out the bottom of cabinet (kick, gable end, etc) were the gap is now showing.
I don't think it's too difficult. I'm just going away on vacation soon, and don't feel like starting the project now.

Maybe when I come back I'll get to it, but will need to raise it just to make it easier.

Will also call my cousin to see if they have some off cuts of granite that we can install as that's his job, and I know I have a decent sized slab at the cottage laying and wasting away.

SPC is interesting stuff , what is the price point per sq ft?
Costco has Mono Serra on sale @ $34.99 a box, 19.7 SF. Regular $49.99. I would need just over a box.

I threw the idea out for feedback on concept. The available colours at Costco wouldn't work so a bit more shopping is needed.

I would really like ceramic / porcelain but that means tear out and rebuilding the floor. Once I do that it sets a higher standard for the rest of the room.

I don't know what's harder, doing the work or explaining the job to my wife.

My buddy (who was single at the time) built his house on a budget and simply painted the plywood battle ship grey.

Costco has Mono Serra on sale @ $34.99 a box, 19.7 SF. Regular $49.99. I would need just over a box.

I threw the idea out for feedback on concept. The available colours at Costco wouldn't work so a bit more shopping is needed.

I would really like ceramic / porcelain but that means tear out and rebuilding the floor. Once I do that it sets a higher standard for the rest of the room.

I don't know what's harder, doing the work or explaining the job to my wife.
Do you know what is between the 1X6 subfloor and the 1/4 plywood? Also, is the plywood glued down or just nailed? Between layers, will you hit asbestos tiles and/or asbestos mastic (did they slap the plywood on top to not deal with this--aka in situ), not the end of the world but a consideration. Depending on what surprise may be between the layers and if the plywood is nailed not not glued down you could potentially pull up the 1/4", replace with say 1/2" (glue and screw) and then use a decoupling membrane between that and the tile. Leave the 1X6 in place. Demo may be easy...

The only downside IMO is the floor will be a bit higher than outside the room. Of course the cost difference for actual tile vs vinyl.

Last edited:
Do you know what is between the 1X6 subfloor and the 1/4 plywood? Also, is the plywood glued down or just nailed? Between layers, will you hit asbestos tiles and/or asbestos mastic (did they slap the plywood on top to not deal with this--aka in situ), not the end of the world but a consideration. Depending on what surprise may be between the layers and if the plywood is nailed not not glued down you could potentially pull up the 1/4", replace with say 1/2" (glue and screw) and then use a decoupling membrane between that and the tile. Leave the 1X6 in place. Demo may be easy...

The only downside IMO is the floor will be a bit higher than outside the room. Of course the cost difference for actual tile vs vinyl.
I saw the joists naked from underneath during an earlier Reno. Underlay is just ring nailed, sheet flooring circa 1985.

If a tooth fairy offered me an all expense paid any Reno I wanted, I would strip the floor back to bare joists. Then attach 2X2 stringers to them 3/4” down. 3/4” plywood would fill the gaps level to the tops of the joists. On top of that would go 1/2” plywood, heating cables and tile. It would be level with the hall floor. Not happening soon.

If I did a Taj Mahal on the floor I’d have to do it to the tub and everything else in the room.

I’ve seen it and the contrast looks silly

Question about basement flooring.
We are not doing a heated floor, but have a Delta FL dimpled membrane and then the plywood sub floor on top.

We are thinking about going with a luxury vinyl plank (LVP) throughout the basement and was debating on carrying this into the bathroom instead of tiling it.

I'd prefer engineered hardwood throughout the basement (that's what we have upstairs and I love it), but wasn't sure about moisture damage if there was ever a leak anywhere in the basement, let alone in the bathroom or the laundry room.

I like the engineered hardwood because it feels so much more solid and in my limited expereince, the vinyl still feels kinda like laminate to a certain extent. However I've read that newer LVP's have amazing wear resistance and you can't tell much difference between the VP and engineered hardwood. We have an LVP in our rental condo which is perfect for a rental unit, but not sure how I'm going to feel about it in my own basement - I can't recall how good it is on the quality spectrum.

Any experienced opinions on LVP vs engineered hardwood for a basement?

Thanks!

Last edited:
We are not doing a heated floor, but have a Delta FL dimpled membrane and then the plywood sub floor on top.

We are thinking about going with a luxury vinyl plank (LVP) throughout the basement and was debating on carrying this into the bathroom instead of tiling it.

I'd prefer engineered hardwood throughout the basement (that's what we have upstairs and I love it), but wasn't sure about moisture damage if there was ever a leak anywhere in the basement, let alone in the bathroom or the laundry room.

I like the engineered hardwood because it feels so much more solid and in my limited expereince, the vinyl still feels kinda like laminate to a certain extent. However I've read that newer LVP's have amazing wear resistance and you can't tell much difference between the VP and engineered hardwood. We have an LVP in our rental condo which is perfect for a rental unit, but not sure how I'm going to feel about it in my own basement - I can't recall how good it is on the quality spectrum.

Thanks!
Our basement has engineered hardwood, and I love it. Yes it will damage with water and start soaking it up (we had the leak a year ago).

But overall very happy with it and would do it the same way again if I had the chance again.

Thanks!
I wouldn't be too concerned with hardwood over dimple. Any small leaks or wall leaks can make it to the drain. If you are worried about laundry, flood tray under the leak prone things with a drain and alarm should limit the extent of disaster.

Thanks!
We in the midst of redoing our floors now. The basement has carpet in the home theatre room and bedroom. LVP everywhere else.

My wife did a near perfect match of the LVP to the engineered wood upstairs.

We chose LVP so we could carry it through wife’s craft room, laundry, and a couple of bathrooms.

Upside is its durable, can be mopped, and won’t get damaged by leaks or condensation off toilets. Downside is it’s cold underfoot.

I’m great at spending other folks money , there are about a half dozen levels of quality in LVP . If spills and moisture was a concern I’d do LVP , but the best I could justify . Same with engineered floor , there are better than others . I would not be too worried about using it if dimple was down first . And it does feel warm

Back
Top Bottom