Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Is that step 1 and step 2 is to grease the axle sticks?

Apple products require fully synthetic axle stick grease.

That must have been what I was doing wrong, trying to use the cheap dino stuff.

Painting... I f'ing hate painting, reminding myself. Painting a closet is as much work as a room. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to tackle the plumbing....

Going outside for some sun and fresh air away from fumes...

I finished up last week painting this whole house , inside closets, 4 bathrooms, 16ft ceiling in the living room,10ft everywhere else. Many many 4L pails. I also hate painting, but i had a qoute of 12k to paint this house. $800 in materials and its done. I hate painting, but I really love that 11 grand leftover.

@Mimicopolak , I'd do a deck from the corner of the house over to the furnace vent. I'd probably leave a small step outside the door so snow buildup doesnt plug the door. And add a few inches/feet to whatever you draw first so its not cramped, too small a deck will suck.
Only other thing is it doesnt have to be 2ft increaments, if its 9ft8in to the right size do that, throwing away a few feet of framing is nothing compared to looking at a ****** design execution.

@sburns, I bought this little gizmo that looks like a spider on a 16" hex shank that goes in a cordless drill for $9.99 from Homodepot. my paint is always mixed well now, even after it sits for a few days, 3 mins of mixing and its good to go.

Painting... I f'ing hate painting, reminding myself. Painting a closet is as much work as a room. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to tackle the plumbing....

Going outside for some sun and fresh air away from fumes...
Not a fan of painting either.
I prefer to watch it dry

@sburns, I bought this little gizmo that looks like a spider on a 16" hex shank that goes in a cordless drill for $9.99 from Homodepot. my paint is always mixed well now, even after it sits for a few days, 3 mins of mixing and its good to go.
Ohhh interesting, link, photo, something?

And BTW agreed, painting quotes are insane...the money you have saved is almost new bike money. (y)

Ohhh interesting, link, photo, something?

And BTW agreed, painting quotes are insane...the money you have saved is almost new bike money. (y)
Tell me about it. I went to university for engineering....my buddy went to start a painting business....

I think he makes 4-5x what I do lol

You work for someone... he works for himself... that's why he makes more money.
That may he part of it but definitely not the whole picture. It's easy to make a decent living engineering, it is very hard to make tons of money unless you are in software or your primary job is not engineering ( eg management, sales,
etc). Many expenses associated with running an engineering company dont scale well with size (software, insurance, licensing, equipment, etc) so small companies grant flexibility but not necessarily more money.

You work for someone... he works for himself... that's why he makes more money.
Oh I know. If I could figure out how to transfer my skills to my own gig I’d be all over it in a heartbeat.

Oh I know. If I could figure out how to transfer my skills to my own gig I’d be all over it in a heartbeat.

Step 1. Watch Dexter
Step 2. Acquire new skills
Step 3. Start business based on new skills that requires you to go to different places
Step 4. Live out your own new life based on the TV show Dexter

@LiNK666 Honestly I'd like to turn my experience into a consulting gig on the side. Just not sure how to make that jump. I feel I've got the experience, but might need some more exposure to different aspects of the business.

I needed to size a beam when I remodeled the cottage. My thoughts were 12"x16"x 40ft Douglas fir, should hold up anything.
Ask engineer buddy #1, I model heat treating ovens, yoiu want a different engineer
buddy#2, I design injection molded plastic for the car industry (dont make it from glass reinforced nylon!) , ok thanks
buddy#3 , machinery for pharma? thats what i do
not a buddy, but a structural engineer gal (retired Prof ) , I'm getting somewhere , I got structural!! nope she does concrete calculation. Want a concrete beam? sorry.

guy at the building office in Sequin township?? just use a 12x12 Doug fir beam, 12x16 is stupid, I'll stamp that.

How many different damn engineers are there ??

most engineers unless self employed end up being dept, or general managers
they tend to be intelligent, disciplined, straight arrows good at handling information
highly prized to throw the keys to them and let them run your business
in their quest to never fvck anything up they can be frustrating to deal with

a couple of little jobs I'd like to get at today but need some fixins, no bueno
forgot that due to the son of a fairy tale sky-god being stuck on some lumber 2,000 yrs ago
Canada is not open for any kind of business most of the weekend, Covid notwithstanding

I finished up last week painting this whole house , inside closets, 4 bathrooms, 16ft ceiling in the living room,10ft everywhere else. Many many 4L pails. I also hate painting, but i had a qoute of 12k to paint this house. $800 in materials and its done. I hate painting, but I really love that 11 grand leftover.

@Mimicopolak , I'd do a deck from the corner of the house over to the furnace vent. I'd probably leave a small step outside the door so snow buildup doesnt plug the door. And add a few inches/feet to whatever you draw first so its not cramped, too small a deck will suck.
Only other thing is it doesnt have to be 2ft increaments, if its 9ft8in to the right size do that, throwing away a few feet of framing is nothing compared to looking at a ****** design execution.

A friend's neighbour had a modest sized house built but was yet to be painted interior and was getting prices of about $16,000. I thought hmm a new bike but then I thought, prime, two coats, cutting in, trim two coats, multiple colours and all the closets. I hate acrylic trim paint. Give me oil. I passed on the opportunity as I don't like painting and I'm not that good at it.

I would do it to save the money on my own house but not to make it and be taxed. A hundred dollar bill that stays in your pocket is yours to keep. Making a hundred dollars nets you on average $70.

Good advice on making things the size you need not the size that minimizes scrap. Minimizing scrap can save a few dollars today but the ugly is forever.

The shop foreman I worked under wasn't very popular. One day he decided to use one of the propeller on a stick paint mixers putting it in a drill press. When he plunged the spinning prop into the gallon of paint he realized the press was running to fast. If he let go of the handle to shut off the motor the prop would come up and spray him with paint. If he let go of the paint can it would go flying. We all sprung into action and went for coffees.

A friend's neighbour had a modest sized house built but was yet to be painted interior and was getting prices of about $16,000. I thought hmm a new bike but then I thought, prime, two coats, cutting in, trim two coats, multiple colours and all the closets. I hate acrylic trim paint. Give me oil. I passed on the opportunity as I don't like painting and I'm not that good at it.

I would do it to save the money on my own house but not to make it and be taxed. A hundred dollar bill that stays in your pocket is yours to keep. Making a hundred dollars nets you on average $70.

Good advice on making things the size you need not the size that minimizes scrap. Minimizing scrap can save a few dollars today but the ugly is forever.
What painter does it on the books?

@LiNK666 Honestly I'd like to turn my experience into a consulting gig on the side. Just not sure how to make that jump. I feel I've got the experience, but might need some more exposure to different aspects of the business.

That's what I did three years ago. Here is a tip: you'll never be ready and always need to learn something new before you can jump. Just jump in.

I've thought about painting our future build myself to save money but Ugly is Forever so I'll just paint the garage interior myself.
Meeting at our lot tomorrow to design the clearing/etc.
Kitchen design and appliance pricing emails all went out on the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom