Deciding to come back after a long hiatus. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deciding to come back after a long hiatus.

I have never thought of riding as dangerous.
It's only as dangerous as you allow it to be.
If you are 100% aware 100% of the time, you should be fine.
Put a pair of earbuds in and start listening to music and start riding like a skid, you're in danger.

I never understood riding with ear plugs or ear buds with music

I feel like I need to be aware 100% and need to see and HEAR everything that is going on on the road.

I feel like I need to be aware 100% and need to see and HEAR everything that is going on on the road.
I'm not keen on music, but ear plugs are a must. Have you tried them?

Have you tried them?

I have not. When I rode 12 year ago I do not remember the noise bothering me too much.

I think it just became "white noise"

Maybe that will change this time around. But at the same time I am not a big fan of noise canceling earphones.
I just feel too "locked in". (Sorry can't describe the feeling any better right now)

Thats a hell of a break. To go from 1982 bike tech to an '03 st1100... huge tech leap

Well, yes and no. The 2002 ST1100 I purchased was designed in the late 80's and the 1100 was available pretty much unchanged from 1990 to 2002.

The bike I came from was a 1977 Yamaha XS750 purchased new in 1978 with a Vetter fairing, mag wheels, triple discs and shaft drive, fairly advanced for the time, and I thought it was a killer touring bike until I rode the ST1100 for a few weeks.......... and came to understand the ST was in a totally different class.

Of you are considering getting into dirt, buy a small displacement dual sport.
Tw200
Dr200
Wr250r
Crf250L
Kx250
Drz400
Xt250

All of these are street legal, low maintenance, nearly indestructible, and cheap on insurance.

Ride it for a year, trail and street, then re-assess your needs.

Even nice to keep around as a second bike.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I like the idea of a small cc enduro bike too.

my favorite is the drz400sm

I have not. When I rode 12 year ago I do not remember the noise bothering me too much.

I think it just became "white noise"

Maybe that will change this time around. But at the same time I am not a big fan of noise canceling earphones.
I just feel too "locked in". (Sorry can't describe the feeling any better right now)

I, too, felt disconnected at first. Tried them for a week, still not convinced, then went out and mistakenly forgot them. Less than two kilometers into the ride, I couldn't take it. Went back home for the ear plugs, haven't ridden without them since. That was nine years ago.

You can skip them for city commuting perhaps, but if you ride the highways, don't leave home without 'em.

You can skip them for city commuting perhaps, but if you ride the highways, don't leave home without 'em.

Do you use one for the disposable ones or custom molded ones?

I'll give it a try.

I have a couple packs left over in my pocket from the MX show at the Bike show this weekend. (cheap disposable ones)

Do you use one for the disposable ones or custom molded ones?

I'll give it a try.

I have a couple packs left over in my pocket from the MX show at the Bike show this weekend. (cheap disposable ones)
I've never tried the custom molded ones. Maybe they're worthwhile? I don't know. Some have reported a loss of effectiveness over time.

I'm perfectly happy with disposable foamies. Always have numerous pairs stashed in various jacket pockets, tank bag, etc. Sometimes I give 'em out to non-believers.

You may have to try various brands until you find something comfortable. Once you do, buy a box of 100 pairs. You'll save some cash and have a supply which will last several years.

Can't imagine riding without ear plugs you can hear your surroundings so much better and aren't damaging your hearing every ride. There is no helmet made that is quiet enough not cause hearing damage at hwy speed. For me ear plugs are a must.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Early on, I never rode with earplugs. Now, don't do without even for a short run. Hearing loss is cumulative and can't be reversed. I use the better(higher Db) foam ones as much as possible.

In my job, I spend a lot of time in front of groups presenting and fielding questions. A couple of years back I started getting a bit of tinnitus and had difficulty hearing questions from the crowd. I often ride 500-1000KM on weekends, I noticed it was worse after those rides -- really bad early in the week, gradually improving after a few days. I had my hearing checked and the doc told me I should use ear plugs on long rides. No permanent hearing loss but he said that would be inevitable if I didn't start caring for my ears soon.

Now I ride with plugs whenever I'm going for more than an hour. They work -- I no longer have 'deaf Mondays'.

Remember 45 years ago when they made full coverage helmets that were louder inside then outside :LOL:

Very interesting.
I will for sure give this a try

Tried it decades ago...on long empty stretched of the prairies. Have only earplugs in since.

Almost always have music going in the car though.

I Dunno about listening to music while riding.. i always wanna hear what's going on around me just in case.

Your ears shut down without earplugs....ever walked out of a concert and sounds are muffled?
Nothing wrong with music but I find Audio books the best for distance.

You can hear what is going on with earphones as as attentuation is -22 to -26 dB ..which at highway speeds can be a bit noisy for music or audio.
Foam plugs take it down to -33 dB attentuation which might be too quiet for some but it sure is nice and makes for a relaxed ride.. Again that is attentuated....like moving further away from a sound. Human hearing is weird....you can hear faint sounds when the ears are not overloaded as happens when you are exposed to loud noise that is constant and riding at highway speeds is noisy and will damage your hearing. ( hence Mike's comment about Mondays _

I use Pioneer Rayz which are noise cancelling so spoken word is clear at speed tho attentuatlon is marginal. They do not do well in the rain but really enhance the spoken word.

The other set are Shure SE215 which I think Shane uses as well. They are durable and with the correct tips have superb sound and attentuation. Downside is they will be tight on a full face....I use a convertible helmet.
All the parts are replaceable on them...cables, etc.

Never ending chase to get it correct but Howard Leigh foam plugs are cheap in bulk and REALLLLY work.

I know that, after a long ride without earplugs, I'm exhausted. Not as much with earplugs. It makes for a more peaceful ride and I can still hear everything I need to hear.

Back
Top Bottom