Deciding to come back after a long hiatus. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deciding to come back after a long hiatus.

riding @ 100 kmh can produce wind noise in excess of 100 decibles
in a work place setting this sound pressure would mandate hearing protection

I started wearing plugs around 10 years ago - to protect what I have left
have tried the noise cancelling ear buds with music - didn't work
still need the volume extremely loud to hear it - which defeats the purpose

best solution I've found so far is the Domio unit
around town the music in the helmet sounds good - doesn't need to be loud
and you still can hear ambient noise

on the HWY you need the plugs - they sell a set that works with the audio unit
dulls the wind roar nicely and you can hear most of the music without blasting it

riding @ 100 kmh can produce wind noise in excess of 100 decibels ...
It could, but it sure don't seem that loud inside my helmet, I would need to see that real live measured to believe it.
A chain saw is ~109 and its no chainsaw noise going on inside my helmet at 100kph, thats for sure, 230kph maybe gets a bit intense.

A chain saw is ~109

You realize that dB is not linear...109 dB is not 9% louder than 100 dB

The unit of measurement used to gauge the power and intensity of a sound is the decibel (expressed as dB). Basically, the louder something is, the higher its decibel level. To complicate things a bit, the decibel scale is logarithmic. To put it simply, this means that an increase of 10 decibels means the sound is ten times louder. So a noise measurement of 80 dB is ten times louder than a sound measured at 70 dB!

We have measured noise levels at the ears of police motorcyclists in a wind tunnel and on the road, with several different helmets and motorcycles. Noise levels in the wind tunnel were similar to those on the road.

Graph - noise levels aginst speed

The graph shows some examples of noise levels measured under motorcycle helmets during our tests on the roads. Although both BMW motorcycles were ridden by the same person wearing the same helmet, the noise levels differed. The BMW 1100LT has a windscreen which can be raised and lowered, and the noise levels varied with the height of the windscreen. The Kawasaki was ridden by a different person with a different helmet.

Motorcycle and rider in the wind tunnel at University of Southampton

another article

66-90 dB, Moderate. Many of your favorite handheld gadgets, from electric beard trimmers to blenders, fall in the 70 to 90 range. This is also the level that many electric lawnmowers (including the EGO POWER+ Mower) fall in, making them much quieter than many other outdoor tools.

91-100 dB, Very Loud. This is about the level where you’ll want to put in some earplugs. Cars with no muffler and gas-powered lawnmowers sit comfortably in the 90 to 100 decibel range. Anything at this level might get you a noise complaint from your neighbors.

101-125 dB Extremely Loud. 110 decibels and over is the level at which other sounds can’t really be heard. Aircraft takeoff, trains, and very loud concerts would fall into the 110+ decibel level.

knocking down these numbers by -26 to -33 keeps it from damaging your hearing. Once you ride with silence you don't have any desire to go back.
Even in an Aircraft wearing earplugs makes a flight far less tiring.

Listener fatigue - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Listener_fatigue

1. Listener fatigue is a phenomenon that occurs after prolonged exposure to an auditory stimulus. Symptoms include tiredness, discomfort, pain, and loss of sensitivity. .... When combining exercise with exposure to loud noises, humans have been observed to experience a long temporary threshold shift as well.

you arrive far better rested and remain far more alert when riding.

I'm around the OP's age and have four children. My wife is very understanding when it comes to me riding motorcycles because I've shown her that its just a hobby and family comes first. During the years between my second and fourth child, I found myself making excuses not to ride. The typical reasons like no time, spending time away from family, bad drivers cropped up on the regular. It was only after I sold my motorcycle and went a full year without one that I had time to reflect on the real reasons responsible for my lack of saddle time. My greatest fault was that I expected to be able to ride like I used to and not being able to do that weighed on me and made me feel guilty and frustrated. Instead of long trips I had to accept the reality that I could only ride an hour or two at a time, mostly in the mornings or at night once the kids were in bed. The bike I had no longer fit my riding habits so I ended up buying one that did. I also bought gear that fit my new riding lifestyle which made it much more enjoyable. The shift in perspective will help you make sense of everything.

To reiterate, show your wife that family comes first by adapting your riding habits around your family life, not the other way around. Show her that you're responsible and take the necessary precautions buy purchasing good gear and riding only when it makes sense to.

Hello Everyone,

It's good to be back on the forum it's been way too long. I'd like to preface this blurb; after many years of riding, then marriage parenthood and kids + lifed curveballs I'm deciding to get back on 2 wheels again.

So just a little background I started riding motorcycles back in 2005 at the age of 18 years old. Got my M1 at 19, M2 shortly thereafter then full M. Started with a Harley Sportster 883, several years went by sold it. bought a tuner car.... sold that and bought a Harley Softail deluxe, sold that, bought a Ducati 749, sold that bought a KTM990ADV, sold that and bought another Hog and then back in late 2014 my then fiance now wife told me it was time to sell the bikes becasue we needed money for our destination wedding. I thought my life was over lol...winter of 2014 I Sold my motorcycle I'll never forget that day, trailer pulled up guy comes out cash In hand and bye bye twos. fast forward 2015 and we are married, we find out we are also expecting a baby girl... fast forward 2016 our daughter is born. 2016 we also buy our house. Fast forward to 2017 and we are pregnant again....2018 our son is born. he is now 1 year old.

Now as all this is going on it's been a solid 5 years I haven't been on any sort of motorcycle and I am beginning to miss it. I try to convince my wife but she wont let me, not because money is the problem but because she is worried sick she fears the worst. But I try telling her that I have loads of experience riding etc... finally she says fine, if it means that much to you. so now, I'm starting to think that maybe she might be right. I mean it's not the same as 5+ years ago. you hear something always happening in the news of another motorcycle accident, or worse. But, I try to think on the positive side of things.

anyways it's been a while for me on twos and on thisb forum and I'm starting to go look at bikes, but I havent been in the loop for a while. I dont know if I wanna go back to a huge twin, something more sensible , certainly something more naked bike middle weight with not a whole hell of alot of power.
I wouldn't mind a cruiser either. I'm open to any suggestions from anybody for someone who is returning back to motorcycling.

PS. for those who have ridden up until now with no breaks, is it really much more dangerous now more than ever?

Thanks so much friends

So - it's 8 months into 2020 ... we had covid.... what did you end up doing - just curious

Are you riding now - hope all is well !

OP.

Relationships are built on trust and also mutual understanding of what makes that union strong. What the individual needs are.

I’ve ridden since I was a kid but, I’ve had my hiatus from time to time. Each one had their reasons. But, my wife knows me. Knows what makes me tick. And knows I won’t put my kids at risk and as long as I feel comfortable taking that risk, she pushes aside her concerns and puts a little faith in me.

Bikes and a young family can coexist. I encourage it.

There are a few other members that involve their kids and they enjoy it.

Get back on the saddle. Find the roads less travelled and stops that recharge the batteries.

I’ve been off two wheels for a couple of years and just returned. There is just something to it I NEED. I ride bikes, I have hobbies and toys but, motorcycling is something closer to my core.

So, do it. With your wife’s blessing. And she should understand. You know the risks, you won’t put yourself, your kids or herself in any danger. And you’ll take precautions.

Nothing is guaranteed. But, live your best life.

2ce63f683265b8a06306ac65c4a101cb.jpg

6a3ea5eec66a188461471988fb2ebd17.jpg

37c1c41aa8ea8a06118eefdcbd1f24b3.jpg

7a61e4ee024ff579822c1ec1604aa944.jpg

749ded521468b858108bfee3a15f11c0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
95ef02814d351683319b8849d06a26d3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom