Deciding to come back after a long hiatus. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deciding to come back after a long hiatus.

rinomato1

Hello Everyone,

It's good to be back on the forum it's been way too long. I'd like to preface this blurb; after many years of riding, then marriage parenthood and kids + lifed curveballs I'm deciding to get back on 2 wheels again.

So just a little background I started riding motorcycles back in 2005 at the age of 18 years old. Got my M1 at 19, M2 shortly thereafter then full M. Started with a Harley Sportster 883, several years went by sold it. bought a tuner car.... sold that and bought a Harley Softail deluxe, sold that, bought a Ducati 749, sold that bought a KTM990ADV, sold that and bought another Hog and then back in late 2014 my then fiance now wife told me it was time to sell the bikes becasue we needed money for our destination wedding. I thought my life was over lol...winter of 2014 I Sold my motorcycle I'll never forget that day, trailer pulled up guy comes out cash In hand and bye bye twos. fast forward 2015 and we are married, we find out we are also expecting a baby girl... fast forward 2016 our daughter is born. 2016 we also buy our house. Fast forward to 2017 and we are pregnant again....2018 our son is born. he is now 1 year old.

Now as all this is going on it's been a solid 5 years I haven't been on any sort of motorcycle and I am beginning to miss it. I try to convince my wife but she wont let me, not because money is the problem but because she is worried sick she fears the worst. But I try telling her that I have loads of experience riding etc... finally she says fine, if it means that much to you. so now, I'm starting to think that maybe she might be right. I mean it's not the same as 5+ years ago. you hear something always happening in the news of another motorcycle accident, or worse. But, I try to think on the positive side of things.

anyways it's been a while for me on twos and on thisb forum and I'm starting to go look at bikes, but I havent been in the loop for a while. I dont know if I wanna go back to a huge twin, something more sensible , certainly something more naked bike middle weight with not a whole hell of alot of power.
I wouldn't mind a cruiser either. I'm open to any suggestions from anybody for someone who is returning back to motorcycling.

PS. for those who have ridden up until now with no breaks, is it really much more dangerous now more than ever?

Thanks so much friends

More dangerous now. Drivers keep getting worse. Distracted driving is exponentially worse now than five years ago.

Can track or offroad satisfy your itch? Much less likely to die doing either of those activities (but probably a higher likelihood of injury per km ridden)

More dangerous now. Drivers keep getting worse. Distracted driving is exponentially worse now than five years ago.

Can track or offroad satisfy your itch? Much less likely to die doing either of those activities (but probably a higher likelihood of injury per km ridden)

No doubts there lol. I mean I'd be open to Dirt biking/quadding ... I used to dirt bike on my grandfather's farm out in Brant county.... but I mean I've never done any trail riding in assuming it's a totally different animal than riding on the road. I wonder what's Involved to get into it. I'm assuming gear and a bike or is there a bit more?

welcome back to riding

you mention kids, this is a valid concern
I rode from age 16 to 22
then took 15 years off when kids came along

life insurance can mitigate the financial concern
but $$ don't make up for an absent Dad

you are going to get biased answers at a bike forum
but I figure you probably knew that
pay attention to your wife

and like anything in life
make a decision on risk vs. reward
only you can know the value of the variables in that equation

welcome back to riding

you mention kids, this is a valid concern
I rode from age 16 to 22
then took 15 years off when kids came along

life insurance can mitigate the financial concern
but $$ don't make up for an absent Dad

you are going to get biased answers at a bike forum
but I figure you probably knew that
pay attention to your wife

and like anything in life
make a decision on risk vs. reward
only you can know the value of the variables in that equation

very wise. I appreciate all of your advice. Deep down I know my wife is right. 100% I'm thinking of maybe just getting me a dirt bike or a quad and just ripping it off road. no cars, no distracted drivers. I mean it has its risks but if I hit the ground at least its dirt

Welcome back!!

Your situation is very close to mine, except for a few things:
-I was about 21 when I started riding
-I have been away from it for a longer period. approx 12 years without riding anything since stopping.
-coming off of a sport bike (R6)
-my 2 kids are older than yours, 9 and 6 (My 6 year old son is already hooked onto motorcycles)
-my wife is still not 100% on board with me riding again. (she likes bikes and doesn't mind me owning one, but just not riding it, pretty much a dust collector in the garage)

I decided over the Thanksgiving weekend that I want to get back onto it.

I looked for something that was used and inexpensive to buy and to insure. I eventually want to get into a proper touring but I know at this point in my life I cant do that.
I settled on the first bike I went to see. A sport touring, (Yamaha FZ6) and it was a bonus that the previous owner had it converted to a naked bike.
I got it for a good deal and from what I have read about it, it is a great bike to ride.
I figured that even if I get out on a ride a handful of times at the very least, I will be fine with that as it won't brake the bank at this point but I will still get back into what I enjoy.
I also accept the fact if it doesn't work out for what ever reason (family etc) I will park it for now and revisit at another time.

Since I joined this site back in the last few months there has been a few good threads about what kind of bikes to get back onto. (pretty much for guys in our similar situation. )
Have a read through them, it will give you a good idea of what you could be looking at.
Here is one:

Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again

Similar one but not as good.
Looking for advice...

The import thing is that you get back on two wheels as that is what we all love to do. (if we are able to do based on a number of factors).

Regardless of what you get, I'm sure it will just feel great to get back on two wheels.

Welcome back!!

Your situation is very close to mine, except for a few things:
-I was about 21 when I started riding
-I have been away from it for a longer period. approx 12 years without riding anything since stopping.
-coming off of a sport bike (R6)
-my 2 kids are older than yours, 9 and 6 (My 6 year old son is already hooked onto motorcycles)
-my wife is still not 100% on board with me riding again. (she likes bikes and doesn't mind me owning one, but just not riding it, pretty much a dust collector in the garage)

I decided over the Thanksgiving weekend that I want to get back onto it.

I looked for something that was used and inexpensive to buy and to insure. I eventually want to get into a proper touring but I know at this point in my life I cant do that.
I settled on the first bike I went to see. A sport touring, (Yamaha FZ6) and it was a bonus that the previous owner had it converted to a naked bike.
I got it for a good deal and from what I have read about it, it is a great bike to ride.
I figured that even if I get out on a ride a handful of times at the very least, I will be fine with that as it won't brake the bank at this point but I will still get back into what I enjoy.
I also accept the fact if it doesn't work out for what ever reason (family etc) I will park it for now and revisit at another time.

Since I joined this site back in the last few months there has been a few good threads about what kind of bikes to get back onto. (pretty much for guys in our similar situation. )
Have a read through them, it will give you a good idea of what you could be looking at.
Here is one:

Looking at bikes, getting back into riding again

Similar one but not as good.
Looking for advice...

The import thing is that you get back on two wheels as that is what we all love to do. (if we are able to do based on a number of factors).

Regardless of what you get, I'm sure it will just feel great to get back on two wheels.

my wife is just more or less resigned because at least once a week I get all nostalgic and say I miss my bike. She looks at me with a blank stare and then she just says "do whatever you want, its your life, but think of the kids" so there's some guilt I do have. I dunno if I'm being selfish for missing my bikes or because I actually want one again. BUT I'm not opposed to different methods of motorcycle riding. I wouldn't mind off road Riding.

My wife has been saying that for the past 10 years.
Especially when I brought up the subject during get together with friends, once specifically that also rides.
She always said "go ahead, I am not stopping you from getting a bike, if you want one get one"
The tune changed a little bit when I was serious about it and when I actually bought it.
I did speak with her that I am serious about it and want to go ahead with it. It's not like I just showed up at the door with it.

I don't think having a guilt about it is right. Nor can they (wives or others) make us feel guilty about it.

I have always been of the opinion that loving the sport/lifestyle is something that no other person can understand if they don't ride themselves.
I also said that they day I fell in love with bikes and especially the day I decided to buy my first bike is the day that I accepted the fact that for the rest of my life (or time owning a bike), every time I get on that thing may just be the last time I do get on it.

Some may say that is selfish. But there are many other risks in our everyday lives that may produce the same or similar result. (a tragic event).

We cannot control the way other people (other cars or bikes) handle themselves on the road but we are 100% in control of the way we "behave" on the road.
As long as we know that, and are smart about it than we are that much ahead.

I was young and my first bike was a super sport. (R6).
As some would say and (I would agree) that is crazy and irresponsible. I loved the look of it. (today that is not so important, hence why I settles for a less attractive FZ6)
But I realized within a very short time of owning it that the bike is very powerful and I have no choice but to be smart about the way I ride it.

I never rode the bike to its full potential and never did anything stupid or reckless with it. I rode it to MY full potential and that was good enough for me.
It made my happy owning it for what it was and I was happy with the way I used it.

The dirt bike is a also a good idea.
I just feel that it would actually take up more of my time away from the family than a street bike. (finding the proper place to ride it in the dirt/trail, trailing it there, having the proper trailer/vehicle setup etc etc).
As with a street bike, you can get out for as little as 1/2 hour or a full day.

I have yet to ride the bike since I purchased it as it was the end of the season and I was recovering from an injury.
As you are not 100% sure, for me the next season will be the deciding season if it's something I really missed and want to do for the long run or if the family/work life allows for it.
I am hopeful that its something I can continue doing for the long run and eventually with my kids (probably my son only as my daughter is not really into it).
And the fact that I already re-invested some money into new gear etc.

Keep in mind that insurance will treat you as a new rider again. That may affect the street bikes that you want to buy as bigger bikes will have crazy premiums.

Keep in mind that insurance will treat you as a new rider again. That may affect the street bikes that you want to buy as bigger bikes will have crazy premiums.

This Is true. However I did speak with one broker in Oakville (can’t remember the name right now) who said that it was matter as much as long as I have had previous insurance in the past. Even after a more than 10 year absence.

Dirt bike (y) is way safer,
not nearly as many cars to run you over.

... is also something you can share with your kids, they are far from old enough to ride street with you and wouldn't enjoy riding pillion anyway.

Dirt bike (y) is way safer,
not nearly as many cars to run you over.

... is also something you can share with your kids, they are far from old enough to ride street with you and wouldn't enjoy riding pillion anyway.

I'm leaning more towards that route.

I have alot of anxiety towards the whole dirt bike thing not because of fear or whatever bit because there is so much involved into getting started with dirt biking I wouldn't even know where to begin.

to state the obvious I would need a bike/ trailer and gear

I'm not sure if I require any insurance to ride said machine on any trails?

then I would need to find a place to ride it
and then last but not least I need to find someone to come riding with me (my kids are way too small yet to start riding)

yeah, theres alot involved i wouldn't know where to get started. I want to so badly but it's so overwhelming. but any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated to get started in the realm of off roading.

Boots are your most expensive off road gear, everything else is cheap enough to be christmas and birthday gifts for the old man ;)

and then last but not least I need to find someone to come riding with me...
Ya I can relate to that part, you are welcome to come ride with me, that's the best I can do for you.

.... kids seem to ride Oset at 4 or 5 years old no problem.

I'm leaning more towards that route.

I have alot of anxiety towards the whole dirt bike thing not because of fear or whatever bit because there is so much involved into getting started with dirt biking I wouldn't even know where to begin.

to state the obvious I would need a bike/ trailer and gear

I'm not sure if I require any insurance to ride said machine on any trails?

then I would need to find a place to ride it
and then last but not least I need to find someone to come riding with me (my kids are way too small yet to start riding)

yeah, theres alot involved i wouldn't know where to get started. I want to so badly but it's so overwhelming. but any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated to get started in the realm of off roading.
Before jumping in with both feet, try a few days at trail tours. They supply the gear, bikes and instruction. That way you get to try a few different bikes to see what you like before you shell out a decent amount of money. You may find even find that a few days a year flogging other peoples gear is enough for you right now.

Boots are your most expensive off road gear, everything else is cheap enough to be christmas and birthday gifts for the old man ;)

Ya I can relate to that part, you are welcome to come ride with me, that's the best I can do for you.

.... kids seem to ride Oset at 4 or 5 years old no problem.

hey maybe I'll take you up on that offer ??

Before jumping in with both feet, try a few days at trail tours. They supply the gear, bikes and instruction. That way you get to try a few different bikes to see what you like before you shell out a decent amount of money. You may find even find that a few days a year flogging other peoples gear is enough for you right now.

maybe I should give that some thought too. instead of going out there and buying a whole bunch of stuff this might be a little easier and cheaper lol

hey maybe I'll take you up on that offer ??
Is a little icy here today, you might want to wait for a little warmer weather,
spring is highly recommended just before the black flies come out.

Is a little icy here today, you might want to wait for a little warmer weather,
spring is highly recommended just before the black flies come out.
for sure I'm down. show me the ways brother.... let me know what gear I need or if is should start looking for a bike. ... leep me posted

Back
Top Bottom