Deciding to come back after a long hiatus. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deciding to come back after a long hiatus.

In May 2019 I came back after 30 years, bought a 2005 yzf600r for less than $3000 and got insurance for $730. Put 20k on the bike and rode today as a matter of fact ! Wish I had done it sooner.

Only you can decide if you want to ride the roads. I agree that the number of idiots out there has increased noticeably, but I treat all cagers as if they are trying to kill me. I refuse to give up something I enjoy so much because of poor drivers, I'll manage the risk.

In May 2019 I came back after 30 years, bought a 2005 yzf600r for less than $3000 and got insurance for $730. Put 20k on the bike and rode today as a matter of fact ! Wish I had done it sooner.

Only you can decide if you want to ride the roads. I agree that the number of idiots out there has increased noticeably, but I treat all cagers as if they are trying to kill me. I refuse to give up something I enjoy so much because of poor drivers, I'll manage the risk.

I used to ride like that too very vigilant and what not.... but I think we face a whole. we world of stupid drivers.

Took an 8 year break in the mid 2000s to get married and start a family, always owned 750s and 1000s sport bikes .While I was on that break I did some dirbiking in between and absolutely loved it but got boring going alone. Decided to ride street again in 2014,did the cruiser thing but it wasn't for me and bought a brand new FZ09, what a hoot but couldn't get over the looks and sold it. Last season I bought a low mileage, super mint CB919(sat in warehouse for 7 years), best bike I've ever owned, wish I would have bought one long time ago! Love the retro looks with a touch of modern tech and it can get up and go when needed.These days I don't commute with my bike, don't ride at night and avoid highways, to much to loose at this point in life, strictly leisure and on backroads only.

Last edited:
Took an 8 year break in the mid 2000s to get married and start a family, always owned 750s and 1000s sport bikes .While I was on that break I did some dirbiking in between and absolutely loved it but got boring going alone. Decided to ride street again in 2014,did the cruiser thing but it wasn't for me and bought a brand new FZ09, what a hoot but couldn't get over the looks and sold it. Last season I bought a low mileage, super mint CB919(sat in warehouse for 7 years), best bike I've ever owned, wish I would have bought one long time ago! Love the retro looks with a touch of modern tech and it can get up and go when needed.These days I don't commute with my bike, don't ride at night and avoid highways, to much to loose at this point in life, strictly leisure and on backroads only.

you know that's also a good idea for me. Just buy something a little smaller and just put around back roads and keep it local. I used to go Cross country back In the day now I'm just gonna keep it small cc and strictly leisure.

I had my eye on some smaller displacement nakeds

You should get sorted on insurance ranges too.There are some amazing deals out there and will be more coming but ask your agent if the layoff is affecting your rates.

FZ6 is lots of fun and cheap on insurance.

$_59.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: J_F
You should get sorted on insurance ranges too.There are some amazing deals out there and will be more coming but ask your agent if the layoff is affecting your rates.

FZ6 is lots of fun and cheap on insurance.

$_59.JPG

[/URL]

I had my eye on either the Kawasaki Z400 or maybe even ktm 390 duke good enough to zip around town without being too much for what I'm actually going to do with it. i feel anywhere between 300 -500 cc is all in gonna need and be very happy with it

Of you are considering getting into dirt, buy a small displacement dual sport.
Tw200
Dr200
Wr250r
Crf250L
Kx250
Drz400
Xt250

All of these are street legal, low maintenance, nearly indestructible, and cheap on insurance.

Ride it for a year, trail and street, then re-assess your needs.

Even nice to keep around as a second bike.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I have never thought of riding as dangerous.
It's only as dangerous as you allow it to be.
If you are 100% aware 100% of the time, you should be fine.
Put a pair of earbuds in and start listening to music and start riding like a skid, you're in danger.

I had my eye on either the Kawasaki Z400 or maybe even ktm 390 duke good enough to zip around town without being too much for what I'm actually going to do with it. i feel anywhere between 300 -500 cc is all in gonna need and be very happy with it

In that range you also have the CB500 ( 477 cc ) series ( I ride the CB500x ) and they are light and agile and around town but quite capable of going xcountry as I did this year with mine. Low insurance, crazy good mpg 60+ real and long range too. 2016 and up best but all solid if not thrllling machines. Ergos are good ...was doing 8-900 k km a day coming from out west and I'm 72
Quite a few around and easy resale.

took me back to the simplicity and reliability of my 305 Superhawk too many decades ago. :)

I have never thought of riding as dangerous.
It's only as dangerous as you allow it to be.
If you are 100% aware 100% of the time, you should be fine.
Put a pair of earbuds in and start listening to music and start riding like a skid, you're in danger.
I was always a safe rider.... I always feared and respected the machines power. I'm afraid of other morons in cars who are too busy texting

In that range you also have the CB500 ( 477 cc ) series ( I ride the CB500x ) and they are light and agile and around town but quite capable of going xcountry as I did this year with mine. Low insurance, crazy good mpg 60+ real and long range too. 2016 and up best but all solid if not thrllling machines. Ergos are good ...was doing 8-900 k km a day coming from out west and I'm 72
Quite a few around and easy resale.
[/URL]

took me back to the simplicity and reliability of my 305 Superhawk too many decades ago. :)
lovely machine the cb500x

I took a 20 year break for a number of reasons, primarily finances and kids. I purchased a year old ST1100 in 2003 and had the dealer deliver it so my first ride in 20 years would not be on the QEW and the 403...... Don't get to ride as often as I like but after 17 years and almost 125,000 km later I've no regrets.

Take a refresher course and take it easy for the first couple of months. Over the years I've had a couple of close calls with inattentive drivers and, IMHO, minimise the time you spend riding in the GTA in general and on the GTA area highways in particular to the extent you are able to. I do 90%+ of my riding in the Kawarthas area or in the US.

I took a 20 year break. Family and other obligations. I understand the itch, but you're not going to be able to take chances like a young man in this day and age. Quiet country rides to clear your mind are nice, but heavier city traffic and well travelled roads are tricky with these texting idiots. I commute to Mississauga and they just drift over the line while looking at the phone, then change lanes with no indicator. Then there's the nasty-ass paisanos in BMWs and pickup trucks who rip into your space missing you by inches. I agree with the off-road thing. You have more control of your destiny off-road. Then in 5-6 yrs you can get your kids into it for a family thing.

I took a 20 year break for a number of reasons, primarily finances and kids. I purchased a year old ST1100 in 2003 and had the dealer deliver it so my first ride in 20 years would not be on the QEW and the 403...... Don't get to ride as often as I like but after 17 years and almost 125,000 km later I've no regrets.

Thats a hell of a break. To go from 1982 bike tech to an '03 st1100... huge tech leap.

Modern bikes arent that different than 20 years ago; with the major differences being - rider modes, fly by wire, traction control, and abs. Suspension tech, and tire tech has come far, but not the leap we got in the early 80's.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Take a refresher course and take it easy for the first couple of months. Over the years I've had a couple of close calls with inattentive drivers and, IMHO, minimise the time you spend riding in the GTA in general and on the GTA area highways in particular to the extent you are able to. I do 90%+ of my riding in the Kawarthas area or in the US.

absolutely going to do a refresher course no question. I used to do alot of riding to the US and found the people to be better drivers than us Canadians and here is why imho; enforcement of the laws! every few miles theres a state trooper or two looking vigilantly at speeding, erratic behaviour etc.... the 401 and most 400 series highways are a free for all to be and do stupid things. I used to wonder how I survived all these years riding on any 400 series highways unscathed.

I took a 20 year break. Family and other obligations. I understand the itch, but you're not going to be able to take chances like a young man in this day and age. Quiet country rides to clear your mind are nice, but heavier city traffic and well travelled roads are tricky with these texting idiots. I commute to Mississauga and they just drift over the line while looking at the phone, then change lanes with no indicator. Then there's the nasty-ass paisanos in BMWs and pickup trucks who rip into your space missing you by inches. I agree with the off-road thing. You have more control of your destiny off-road. Then in 5-6 yrs you can get your kids into it for a family thing.
I agree with you there... I dont care if i ride a vespa down the street for a carton of milk. in happy to just be on two wheels. and yes its way safer outside of the city 100%

Back
Top Bottom