Cross country trip with covid? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cross country trip with covid?

I think I’ll check the prices out on these then! Do these tires represent the best new tires in this category then? I’ve not caught up on what’s new....my tires before this were ContI Trail attacks which were also shite and were replaced under warranty with the Michelins (which I had no say about).

Edit: out of stock! Wahhhhhhhhh!

I would say the MotoZ Tractonator tires are as good, and maybe the Mitas ones, however for 50/50 with as much versatility and mileage, I think the Dunlop's are trailing the category, hence why they are even hard to find, everyone's trying to get a set. I got them of Pete's, maybe he has your sizes

These get rave reviews as-well, probably what I'll try next

Hey, I can do that, too!

View attachment 44434

Nice to see someone actually ride that Guzzi in its habitat, such a beautiful bike!

I would say the MotoZ Tractonator tires are as good, and maybe the Mitas ones, however for 50/50 with as much versatility and mileage, I think the Dunlop's are trailing the category, hence why they are even hard to find, everyone's trying to get a set. I got them of Pete's, maybe he has your sizes

These get rave reviews as-well, probably what I'll try next

Nice to see someone actually ride that Guzzi in its habitat, such a beautiful bike!

I did a lot of reading last night...those tractionators have hard rubber I believe which isn’t as much fun in the rain. Everyone seems to love the Dunlops and the only negative is wet deep stuff and rear pick up. Pete’s has an email for stock which means they are on order I think, Fortnine is out of stock.

I did a lot of reading last night...those tractionators have hard rubber I believe which isn’t as much fun in the rain. Everyone seems to love the Dunlops and the only negative is wet deep stuff and rear pick up. Pete’s has an email for stock which means they are on order I think, Fortnine is out of stock.

Ah, good to know! Yeh, I can say in wet deep mud they are meh, the side lugs do dig and get you out of a sticky situation though, however like any of these ADV 50/50 tires and big bikes, deep mud on any tire other than something like a D909 is a moot, TKC80s wear out too quick to be worth it imo, by the time you slab it back and forth the lugs are worn down making it less effective anyway. Chances are i'll just throw another set of DTMs on if they get in stock anywhere by then

If anyone takes a big adv bike into deep mud, they deserve what happens. That is probably the worst place for them and tires cant work miracles.

No, you're wrong. All the manufacturers show pics of them crossing mountains, swamps and deserts.
I am not Szoke/Macaskill with enough skill and/or takes to intentionally ride through a swamp. Big adv bikes do a great impression of a rock sinking to the bottom followed by an impression of a cow being stuck in the mud.

I got to say this Manitoba covid thing puts a damper if you're not an early morning person.
I'm coming back and can only reach eastern border of Saskatchewan today, about 800km, otherwise have to do 1490km day and worried about gas stations open late in those areas. (Also timezones change) Would have to secretly 'rest' in a cold highway resting area overnight.

It's ok, nobody needs to be awake Monday morning at work. And I'll get to miss the 400 back to TO rush ?

Also feeling beat up a bit from last night ride, and it's only 12 degrees here now.

I got to say this Manitoba covid thing puts a damper if you're not an early morning person.
I'm coming back and can only reach eastern border of Saskatchewan today, about 800km, otherwise have to do 1490km day and worried about gas stations open late in those areas. (Also timezones change) Would have to secretly 'rest' in a cold highway resting area overnight.

It's ok, nobody needs to be awake Monday morning at work. And I'll get to miss the 400 back to TO rush ?
Ride safe nyx. Dont push too hard. Missing a day of work is better than waking up in a ditch.

Reactions: nyx
While waiting at Starbucks; favourite roads in BC were obviously 99 and 6 between the ferry (23) and Vernon. I tried the 8 as per suggestion and it was ok but wouldn't do a special trip for it again.
Was taking 3/95 back yesterday to Alberta.
Avoid taking 1 to Vancouver, just boring.

Most motels are cheap, weekends may need a pre reservation/plan, with exception of BC where it's about double priced.
Stayed at Coast hotel last night (little chain here) and saw in FB this morning there was some $20 gas promo voucher plus 10% (?) Off which I didn't see pre booking.

My brother added a usb port to the bike in BC which has been huge help in long rides and keeping up with maps/phone life.

Last edited:
If anyone takes a big adv bike into deep mud, they deserve what happens. That is probably the worst place for them and tires cant work miracles.

to be fair.....it seems recently that when I pick a line through what I believe is a puddle....the actual situation would be better represented by a hippo suddenly poking its head up and bellowing “dickhead” at me.

If anyone here heading out west has the time to ride over to Bella Coola - the road getting there looks pretty sweet.
As long as it's not raining.

Highway-20-on-The-Hill.jpg

check out how nice it looks in the winter

I got another 4 day weekend coming up later this month, any ideas where to go? Already went to thunder bay last month. I was thinking something like home -> timmins -> saguenay -> home. Anyone got any other ideas? Anyone been on quebec highways 113 and 167?

I got another 4 day weekend coming up later this month, any ideas where to go? Already went to thunder bay last month. I was thinking something like home -> timmins -> saguenay -> home. Anyone got any other ideas? Anyone been on quebec highways 113 and 167?

been a few years but I recall some pretty rough pavement
would be surprised if it were any better now

have you tried QC HWY101?
rather than all the way up to Timmins - which is kind of boring
get up to North Bay then take 63 NE to Temiscaming
101 is a really nice ride up to Rouyn-Noranda

will be doing this route beginning Saturday which includes 113/167
will update the thread after

Yeah I have been on quebec hwy 101 a bunch of times, I'll probably try to incorporate it on my first day up to timmins. Or maybe I'll stay in kirkland lake instead of timmins, I'll see. But I'm gonna do the 113/167 to saguenay so definitely let me know what those highways are like. Looks like there's a small town every once in a while so gas shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom