Cross country trip with covid? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cross country trip with covid?

Should people be traveling across the country during a pandemic?

Especially, if as the title suggests they're a carrier of the virus?

Probably not. We are having this discussion now as my wife and I are going stir crazy. What’s the responsible thing to do vs the thing that might keep our sanity.

But I'm gonna do the 113/167 to saguenay so definitely let me know what those highways are like

Make sure you pick up the road in Parc Mauricie ...it is terrific and bit hard to find coming from the west.

Baggsy ....we cannot shut the entire economy down for fear of the virus .....take your precautions travelling or don't travel....trying to make it a moral negative to travel just because you take that decision is counter productive.
Let people make their own decisions.
There is no "should".

Should people be traveling across the country during a pandemic?

Especially, if as the title suggests they're a carrier of the virus?

The way i see it, anytime stepping outside the house is a risk.
If I didn't go on vacation, I could've stayed in TO, gone more grocery shopping, supply shopping, beaches/parks etc and would've came into contact with a lot of people staying local.
Riding a bike solo for 10 hours a day doesn't put me into closer proximity next to other people.
Most attractions/events/ indoor public spaces are closed anyways. Does it make a difference if I wear a mask and food shop here or in Alberta? I'm not packing a van of friends and hitting the beach.
Having said that, i fully believe it can happen anywhere, anytime outside of house.
If someone is or close to immune compromised individual, they should probably stick to more online grocery deliveries and such.
I also work retail so it's great being categorized with health workers risk wise. /joke.

Edit; also not sure if you’re implying for people to travel while they are sick. Title meant during Covid era in Canada.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it. But there is a moral component to it, and it needs to be thought through.
It gets interesting if there's some who are outraged about people ignoring covid protocols, but then ride all over ignoring covid protocols.
You're supposed to stay at home as much as you can, but you get to decide the amount required. It's your mental health.

I think you're right in a sense that's an interesting discussion we can have here.
But like I said, I don't think there's anything morally wrong with a solo motorcycle trips. You're not creating more exposure than by living your daily life, unless you work from home and never leave the house. It's not a privilege that I had. I did not get any bad looks in any province, most folks just classify us as bikers in their eyes, and we're dealing with covid similarly, in every province and business, as a country by now.
Didn't our prime minister's family (or was it Doug's) break physical distancing rules back in covid's height?
I'm not outraged by people breaking rules. The rules moved us to stage 4 by now, which allows small gatherings. In my view covid would never disappear unless the whole world stopped and isolated for 2-3 weeks, but we know that will never happen. So we can only try to manage it.

Just to add, yes travel in general can be a very social activity for majority of people.
But there's some of us who are lone wolves (i hope more than me at least) bikers that it's more of a bike hobby so it's not same as going to Cancun with your family. If that makes any sense.
So for most folks traveling may mean encouraging less than physical distancing, which is not what this post was originally about.

mixed messaging

we're in phase 3 with most things open
yet supposed to stay home
who is gonna go to the restaurants?

we can distance and use masks in another province
as effectively as our own neighborhood

mixed messaging

we're in phase 3 with most things open
yet supposed to stay home
who is gonna go to the restaurants?

we can distance and use masks in another province
as effectively as our own neighborhood

Oops i should change my post to stage 3.
Agreed. They actually moved faster in stages in western Canada and are way more relaxed about it. I went by don't drop distance standards and wear mask indoors.

I was going to ride out to Prince Rupert and then 1400km over to Bella Coola. On a whim I checked out the ferry and as luck would have it, there is a ferry running between Prince Rupert going to Bella Coola on the day I arrive there. It's the inside passage ferry and takes 24 hours. No cabins left so looks like I'm sleeping on the ground in my sleeping bag, but it takes the same amount of time and money as riding all the way around. Maybe it will look something like this:

Inside_Passage_1.jpg-1-_8CE00520-A3E3-42F6-8E8C9ACE11452DA0_2df1b635-3d04-4bda-84108de277a06092.jpg

yeah we did that and it the same route the cruise boats take so some scenery ...you can sleep on the seats nicely. Was a nice break to take.
There is really good road in the area of the port ....if you look on Best Roads BC it's on there.Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at Aug, 18    2020    7.02.26 PM.jpg
awfully close to Hyder and that wonderful road from Mezadin Junction.

If the weather is correct you will want to do the 20 km gravel to the glacier. Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at Aug, 18    2020    7.07.44 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Turns out lodgings in Bella Coola are not accepting out of province visitors at this time and it's expected to remain this way for the rest of the year. Since the ferry gets there at 11pm, this is a no go for me.

However a day trip from Williams Lake up to the checkpoint at Bella Coola is a 900km return journey, which will be awesome in itself.
1597865087296.png

There are two choices. Stay at home as much as possible and eliminate any chance of becoming asymptomatic, spreading the virus and potentially infecting lots of people.
Or just say **** it.
Personal choice. Be intelligent, or be a selfish snowflake.

Turns out lodgings in Bella Coola are not accepting out of province visitors at this time and it's expected to remain this way for the rest of the year. Since the ferry gets there at 11pm, this is a no go for me.

did you try airbnb?
also booking.com showing some

snowflake ??? .....how about letting people make up their own minds and you stick to your knitting at home. ffs enough already. Shanes a responsible adult.
Just my opinion.Wasn't referring to Shane.And not that it's any of your business (it isn't) i haven't been doing any knitting,but i am spending a lot of time in the kitchen baking since i stopped riding a while back.

I got another 4 day weekend coming up later this month, any ideas where to go? Already went to thunder bay last month. I was thinking something like home -> timmins -> saguenay -> home. Anyone got any other ideas? Anyone been on quebec highways 113 and 167?

completed the 167/113 today
traveling west from Saguenay after going east along the north shore

167 is in really good shape but not a very interesting/fun road
pavement is okay as far as Quebec goes, and vegetation is cut pretty far back
so visibility is good...it's not at all twisty, but some stretches where you can burn the carbon out
do watch your gas levels

113 is more interesting but some stretches of pretty bad pavement
not long stretches, but very inconsistent...a few km of crap, a few of okay, a few of new
would call it 6/10 for Quebec...in Ontario it's a solid 2
and again, be careful with gas, see a station...fill up, even if it's only $10 worth

the people have been very good so far, 6 days into the trip
exact same covid procedures as Ontario

a few snaps with comments from this rip

lunch in Shawinigan a few days ago..
no one went for special #6
kyBO0Oa.jpg

the obligatory ferry ride - we always try to get one included
across Riviere Saguenay
80ghByC.jpg

parking lot beers in Rouyn-Noranda after a long and wet day
eyAywQ4.jpg

not a bad trip so far
but I am missing the option of going south

just an update on my trip, so far, today was going well, great weather here in Winnipeg, started taking side roads cause the hwy got boring and heat was high, and was okay bombing it to Regina at night.

That didn’t happen, out of no where thunderstorms hit (no weather app showed rains, or radar). I waited it out at a gas station, then hot the road at night, huge wind gusts and lightning all around, almost got blown into 2 trucks. I pulled over at the nearest house (praries have no shelters for Kms) as it got getting very dangerous. Locals told me of sudden tornados, trees and branches all around me blowing around. Long story, person at home didn’t answer out of fear, They called a friend to see me, it’s about 10pm at the time, windy, thunder, lightning alll around, really nice guy comes, gives me a space in a shed, parked the bike, then invites me over for coffee. We chat, then his father in law comes, and basically kicked me out lol

so 11pm hit the road to the nearest town, got a room at the comfort inn, too late and risky to head to Regina at 11pm in this weather

Back
Top Bottom