Cross country trip with covid? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cross country trip with covid?

I'm about to hit the road again. It's only 22 now but 30+ afternoon. I should've left earlier but sleep. Feeling much better. Going to hit Banff, which is only 30 at highest with showers. May be first time showers are very welcomed while riding. Already got 1L of water in me, but not sure how I feel about riding without jacket. Going to Gatorade/water it every gas station stop.
Probably not going to hit actual west coast tonight but somewhere in BC.

Soak your riding shirt and put it on wet and open the jacket vents. Will keep you going for a couple hours....repeat.

Soak your riding shirt and put it on wet and open the jacket vents. Will keep you going for a couple hours....repeat.

rode from Kapuskasing down to Sudbury a few days ago
nasty heat
went through half a dozen rain shower spots
soaked and then dry in a half hour
perfect riding day

this afternoon's loop, not a big ride by any means

gonna try to slow down and smell the roses
got home from a 6,000 km run and realized I saw nothing
but the road, gas stations and motel rooms
took one picture up in Moonbeam
maybe I shoulda kept the cruiser

BREL6cJ.png

I think I'm battling with the full faced helmet. Right now riding is like being in the Caribbeans speed boat with cool wind rushing in. Except helmet. Touring windshield would really help with keeping visor open.

'Should cool down plenty as you get to the higher altitudes...

You can dehydrate on a bike even when it is cool. Left Rouyn-Noranda on a long loop down the northern TC to Ottawa ....it was chilly 9C when I left and only got to mid teens ...bright sun and very dry air and I had very little to drink - by the time I turned the corner to get to Ottawa I was in trouble and really did not know what was wrong

#1 reason I have a cup holder on every bike I own - there's always a cup of some sort of liquid there, filled at every gas stop.

Tried my touring set up today for the east coast. Scott jacket was okay even tho a humid 27 tho happy to lose it at the Forks. Got a little wet which was fine -sunny up here now.

Mid 20s at Quebec Airport forecast the next two weeks - even out to Gaspe - maybe 1 rain day each week which is tolerable - better that than the damn heat.

If I time it correctly I can stay in the same weather system going east.

The only wrinkle is that tropical storm off Florida as it is supposed to track up the coast. Not up for tropical rainfalls.

Now if I could hook up with that west wind from HWY 6 home today on the Qew I'd make Gaspe in two fill ups. That was a sweet tailwind. (y)

I had a crazy Saturday. Stopped by Calgary to get can of chain lube. 1 hour later noticed back tire is done, changed it at another shop but it set me back 3-4 hours.
Getting back on road and riding to Banff was fine, 3 showers and dry outs. Then came the downpour, close by lightning, winds, wanted to get out of there badly. First town in BC changed out of wet clothes. Spent next few hours blow drying phone which i use as maps/booking device. It's old phone and waterproof cases like i had are nowhere around anymore. No big deal, hitting the road to kamloops. By time i get there it's after midnight, my phone is done... And so are all the motel/hotel rooms. None available. Ok so I decide to take the safe 1/5 highway and keep going to next town. Safe so there are gas stations. Nothing next town over either. And after that the elevation of the mountains was too freezing 2 -3 am. Pulled over in rest area where other cars/rvs were sleeping the evening away. Napped 1 hour at the table and was making friends with a crow in the morning. They even had big truck vendor showed up in morning selling coffee and breakfast at that rest stop.
Back on road 9am. Spend next day finally reaching Squamish, and chilling with my brother and sleeping. There's a bike meet up spot at Starbucks in Squamish.
Now on BC ferry to ride to Tofino with the bike and back.

I'm only regretting taking highway 1/5 through Vancouver. 99/97 is better. I have a potential route back with 99/97/6/8/23 as was suggested by resident bikers.

The chain lube was a second can when I would run out.
The tire was a bit hopeful in how long it would last.
If you have any suggestions on best roads you have ridden out there and places to stay, please share.
Good to hear you are safe and having an adventure!

Today did 4 on the island to Tofino. Not bad, more wavy and only sharp turns 60-40km away from Tofino. The whole road is about 200km from Nanaimo. But lots of cars, especially ones who think they can go fast in straight line. Also its $45 each way by ferry, which is sort of expensive to just ride a road.

2 more sleeps and I'm outa here.
I get the 1pm ferry on Thursday.
Weather looks great for my 4 big travel days.
Had to update license - CAA - Travel insurance = Health card
Tomorrow I'll photocopy everthing and maybe make reservations for Thursday night in SSM and Friday night in Dryden

Enjoy, nice stretch coming up for sure. Won't be sad to see a few days without this humidity that's been over us for over a month now.

2 more sleeps and I'm outa here.
I get the 1pm ferry on Thursday.
Had to update license - CAA - Travel insurance = Health card
Tomorrow I'll photocopy everthing and maybe make reservations for Thursday night in SSM and Friday night in Dryden
What's your overall plan Kiley?
Are you heading all the way out to the coast or exploring up to a point before that?

What's your overall plan Kiley?
Are you heading all the way out to the coast or exploring up to a point before that?
Blaze to Cranbrook then up to Radium Hot springs for a couple nights and exploring Banff / Canmore
Then up to Jasper with a night in Valemount
Thinking maybe Sicmouse because I like the name for a couple nights.
Then down to Abbotsford for one night...I want to do 99 so I'll get up early and blaze through Vancouver and make my way up 99 starting at West Vancouver and up to Lillooet / Cache Creek area.
Either 100 Mile House or Merritt after that or both lol
A definite MUST is lunch at Gasthaus on the Lake in Peachland...The schnitzel looks amazing
About 10 to 12 days exploring then start making the long journey home.
I leave on the 6th but really don't have to be back till around the 28th

You never know...I just might throw in an Iron Butt for sh!tz and giggles :)

Come back the Northern TC out of Hinton ...bit slower than the southern route but more interesting.

make my way up 99 starting at West Vancouver and up to Lillooet / Cache Creek area.
Best road evah.

10-12 days you have enough time to do Nanaimo/Tofino ...but do it on a weekday.

Back
Top Bottom