Cross country trip with covid? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cross country trip with covid?

Blaze to Cranbrook then up to Radium Hot springs for a couple nights and exploring Banff / Canmore
Then up to Jasper with a night in Valemount
Thinking maybe Sicmouse because I like the name for a couple nights.
Then down to Abbotsford for one night...I want to do 99 so I'll get up early and blaze through Vancouver and make my way up 99 starting at West Vancouver and up to Lillooet / Cache Creek area.
Either 100 Mile House or Merritt after that or both lol
A definite MUST is lunch at Gasthaus on the Lake in Peachland...The schnitzel looks amazing
About 10 to 12 days exploring then start making the long journey home.
I leave on the 6th but really don't have to be back till around the 28th

You never know...I just might throw in an Iron Butt for sh!tz and giggles :)
Sounds like a great trip. Safe travels and maybe I’ll see you on the road on your way home!
If you have any time to spare, between Thunder Bay and Kenora are the 622, the 502 and the 71 - all of which I will be checking out from some stuff I read over on Advrider.

If anyone here heading out west has the time to ride over to Bella Coola - the road getting there looks pretty sweet.
As long as it's not raining.

Highway-20-on-The-Hill.jpg

If anyone here heading out west has the time to ride over to Bella Coola - the road getting there looks pretty sweet.
As long as it's not raining.

Highway-20-on-The-Hill.jpg
Yep, looks good Shane, but I thought you don't care for gravel?

Yep, looks good Shane, but I thought you don't care for gravel?
Well I'm not a very good gravel rider to start with and I just got tired of picking up my bike. That's the only reason I moved to 100% street tires instead of 80/20 tires.
But if a road leads along something amazing like this, I would do it slowly. I think this is a 20km or so stretch of gravel, so it's really not much.
I think if I had a spare set of rims with knobbies like the TKC 80's on the one set, then I would ride more gravel roads.

Well I'm not a very good gravel rider to start with and I just got tired of picking up my bike. That's the only reason I moved to 100% street tires instead of 80/20 tires.
But if a road leads along something amazing like this, I would do it slowly. I think this is a 20km or so stretch of gravel, so it's really not much.
I think if I had a spare set of rims with knobbies like the TKC 80's on the one set, then I would ride more gravel roads.

I'm not a gravel expert either and go slow, sometimes being wet makes it easier (as longs as its not muddy), since the stones dig in and there's no loosey goosey feeling. Going down even just 5psi makes a world of difference for traction and comfort. Road looks awesome and hoping for good weather and time to do it, not sure when your leaving, I'm planning to head out on the 15th, hopefully be in BC by 20th, maybe we'll cross paths.

Only concern I have with such roads is the cliff edge and oncoming traffic, target fix on a tree or big trucks taking up the road, and picking up the bike half way down a mountain side edge is, to my knowledge, difficult.

On a road like that, uphill traffic has right of way. In other countries it's often right of weight.
Thanks for the reminder about the tire pressure - I need to check and make sure my portable pump works!
I'm leaving on August 22nd and coming home on September 20th. I hope to be sleeping near Prince George, BC on the 26th night and stay in BC for 14 days.

I'm not a gravel expert either and go slow, sometimes being wet makes it easier (as longs as its not muddy), since the stones dig in and there's no loosey goosey feeling. Going down even just 5psi makes a world of difference for traction and comfort. Road looks awesome and hoping for good weather and time to do it, not sure when your leaving, I'm planning to head out on the 15th, hopefully be in BC by 20th, maybe we'll cross paths.

Only concern I have with such roads is the cliff edge and oncoming traffic, target fix on a tree or big trucks taking up the road, and picking up the bike half way down a mountain side edge is, to my knowledge, difficult.

Dropped my bike on a gravel trail today. Was approaching an old rutted bridge on the trail with reasonable wash outs in front of it and couldn’t quite decide how to tackle it...so my bike thought I needed more time and dumped me in some bushes to let me ponder. Glad I had hard bags on...zero damage to anything except my pride...bags acted like crash bungs. My rear tire is squared off and there's odd wear on the front so I’m going to blame this on my tires rather than my very obvious lack of skill off-road.

I love riding on trails and asphalt. I’m looking for the magic ”do it all” tire which is very elusive.

Dropped my bike on a gravel trail today. Was approaching an old rutted bridge on the trail with reasonable wash outs in front of it and couldn’t quite decide how to tackle it...so my bike thought I needed more time and dumped me in some bushes to let me ponder. Glad I had hard bags on...zero damage to anything except my pride...bags acted like crash bungs. My rear tire is squared off and there's odd wear on the front so I’m going to blame this on my tires rather than my very obvious lack of skill off-road.

I love riding on trails and asphalt. I’m looking for the magic ”do it all” tire which is very elusive.

Hope your okay! Glad the bike is fine as well :)

I've dropped my bike twice in the last month or so off-road, and just low-sided it on Friday going to work on a very basic left hand turn, so understand that feeling well lol.

As for tires, the perfect tire does now exist, thanks to Dunlop. just the revzilla link for reviews, I've had them on for a few weeks, over 4000kms, they act like street tires, and then 50/50 tires off-road, get over 10k+ average kms, and work well in the wet, Dunlop took 4 years developing them and cut the status quo of what a touring/ADV tire should look like

Hope your okay! Glad the bike is fine as well :)

I've dropped my bike twice in the last month or so off-road, and just low-sided it on Friday going to work on a very basic left hand turn, so understand that feeling well lol.

As for tires, the perfect tire does now exist, thanks to Dunlop. just the revzilla link for reviews, I've had them on for a few weeks, over 4000kms, they act like street tires, and then 50/50 tires off-road, get over 10k+ average kms, and work well in the wet, Dunlop took 4 years developing them and cut the status quo of what a touring/ADV tire should look like

I‘ll read up on those....are they for heavy ADV bikes? Stiff tirewall?

I‘ll read up on those....are they for heavy ADV bikes? Stiff tirewall?

They were tested on Honda CB500Xs, V-Stroms, and BMW GS1200's... Dunlop has 2 different tread patterns, the big heavy toureres have a different tread pattern, lighter narrow ones have one to suite. People are using them on everything from CRF250s to KTM 1290s

It is a stiff tirewall, I could sit on the rear tire sans air and it doesn't even budge. Not sure what bike you have, though i have a set of Pirelli Scorpion STRs you can have for free if you want, they are decent gravel tires too, just air down a bit. I just switche due to the long trip and an ADV camp we had

They were tested on Honda CB500Xs, V-Stroms, and BMW GS1200's... Dunlop has 2 different tread patterns, the big heavy toureres have a different tread pattern, lighter narrow ones have one to suite. People are using them on everything from CRF250s to KTM 1290s

It is a stiff tirewall, I could sit on the rear tire sans air and it doesn't even budge. Not sure what bike you have, though i have a set of Pirelli Scorpion STRs you can have for free if you want, they are decent gravel tires too, just air down a bit. I just switche due to the long trip and an ADV camp we had

KTM 1290 Super Adventure T and I never take my side bags off....and I’m not bulemic so it’s hauling some weight. Those Dunlop’s certainly look interesting. Always a compromise between needing knobbies for some things off-road and knobbies being crappy on road.

KTM 1290 Super Adventure T and I never take my side bags off....and I’m not bulemic so it’s hauling some weight. Those Dunlop’s certainly look interesting. Always a compromise between needing knobbies for some things off-road and knobbies being crappy on road.

They can def haul the weight, I'm going to see how they hold up mileage wise, will report back, though so far I've been very impressed with them, they feel like the Michelin Pilot 3s I had on the road, then off-road, they just hook up and tractor along. I had a rider on a 1090, and another on a 1290 try the T7 when we went up north and they were blown away, not sure if that's by the anemic bike or tires though :LOL:

I think thats the 1090/1290R, i can never tell between the 2, awesome bike!

whats that bike weigh, JC?
600 + lbs?
any trouble picking it up?

I'm concerned about dumping my Capo in the bush alone
it would really be a struggle to get upright

Probably about that, it was 2/3 full of fuel on a big tank too. Amazingly I picked it up fine as it was leaning on a bit of a berm but not before I’d forgotten about my throttle hand and dug a lovely rut under the rear tire. I have to say I wasn’t looking forward to getting it back up but there was probably a bit of adrenaline that helped. I was worried too...I’d been on the trail for a bit and hadn’t seen a single person in either direction and there’s no cell signal where I was.

Reactions: J_F
whats that bike weigh, JC?
600 + lbs?
any trouble picking it up?

I'm concerned about dumping my Capo in the bush alone
it would really be a struggle to get upright
It's not that bad. Just keep it out of the snow. &%&*%*&%*& sucks in the snow. Then you try to pick it up and the bastard thing continually slides away from you until you get the wheels up against something. &%&*%&%^ does that ever suck.

Reactions: J_F
They can def haul the weight, I'm going to see how they hold up mileage wise, will report back, though so far I've been very impressed with them, they feel like the Michelin Pilot 3s I had on the road, then off-road, they just hook up and tractor along. I had a rider on a 1090, and another on a 1290 try the T7 when we went up north and they were blown away, not sure if that's by the anemic bike or tires though :LOL:

I think thats the 1090/1290R, i can never tell between the 2, awesome bike!

I think I’ll check the prices out on these then! Do these tires represent the best new tires in this category then? I’ve not caught up on what’s new....my tires before this were ContI Trail attacks which were also shite and were replaced under warranty with the Michelins (which I had no say about).

Edit: out of stock! Wahhhhhhhhh!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom