Coffee: McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Starbucks...or? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coffee: McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Starbucks...or?

Given there are about 25 manufactures of decent machines , I appreciate your zeel to create your own, but I think you could get there for less effort.
The guys at Idrinkcoffee often have open box and demo sales and bulk buy discounts. Worth a look and yiou can get every size from smaller than a Keurig to "holy crap" it a monument machines
I want performance better than a big one in a space more like a Silvia. Sadly, as quality and price grows, so does counter space (and often height) required. Much of that additional space is air and is being used to make it look more impressive.

Given there are about 25 manufactures of decent machines , I appreciate your zeel to create your own, but I think you could get there for less effort.
The guys at Idrinkcoffee often have open box and demo sales and bulk buy discounts. Worth a look and yiou can get every size from smaller than a Keurig to "holy crap" it a monument machines

Had my Gaggia repaired there. Interesting place. and definitely huge selection on display. Worth a visit again.

I don't drink coffee and barely read any of this thread, but by the thread title alone I see PP is intentionally disturbing the peace and by the length of the thread I can see he succeeded.

Never mind coffee though - I think RBI is squeezing the TH franchise so hard that the food went from bad to nigh inedible. I truly think that just as TH displaced Coffee Time & Country Style, the time is ripe for another franchise to assume dominance since they have such a low bar to clear.

I actually like donuts. I miss being able to easily acquire ones that tasted like they were made in the last few days, instead of being delivered from a museum

I love my Tim’s when back home but at work we have some horrid swill. I bring my own instant as I don’t have a grinder. So tempted to buy a French press and brew in the room myself.
Currently in Cuba and this resort doesn’t sell any beans. Hopefully airport will have some before we leave.

I dont think PP was being disruptive, its been a friendly discourse on a subject most are mildly passionate about. And its February.

The donut issue at TH, they had a baker in every location, a Union baker I believe. The donuts now are made in a central bakery (maidenstone I thnk) and come to the store as a semi ready product. Donuts - a baker + a lack of expesive equipment = bag of money for the francise. They have proven many times over its all about the bottom line. (as capitalism is) .

I truly think that just as TH displaced Coffee Time & Country Style, the time is ripe for another franchise to assume dominance since they have such a low bar to clear.

Country Style. That brings back memories, stopping there on Sunday mornings on the way to the golf club with the old boy. Bunn machines. It was good coffee.

I love my Tim’s when back home but at work we have some horrid swill. I bring my own instant as I don’t have a grinder. So tempted to buy a French press and brew in the room myself.
Currently in Cuba and this resort doesn’t sell any beans. Hopefully airport will have some before we leave.

You need mountains and altitude for arabica beans to grow. Not sure if Cuba has the right conditions. Robusta beans grow lower down but are the poor cousin to arabica.

they grow both species beans in Cuba
though production/export was decimated by the embargo

this stuff from the DR is pretty good

lZA8O9n.jpg

and back to Scotch
Cuba is the only place where I've seen Scotch from Spain
it is not good

Last edited:
Cuban coffee is quite nice , it’s actually pretty expensive and not that easy to find in Canada. (Expensive for a Cuban product) , although the Cuban rums are not the cheapest . Unless your in Cuba where the “cola” part is twice as expensive as the rum part. Like buying Coke in the US. Virgin Islands , just drink more rum , it’s half the price of coke.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

they grow both species beans in Cuba
though production/export was decimated by the embargo

this stuff from the DR is pretty good

lZA8O9n.jpg

and back to Scotch
Cuba is the only place where I've seen Scotch from Spain
it is not good
Not looking for scotch down here....although I’ve got 2 nice bottles of rum...and looking for some more at the airport if I can find them.

the store ran out of Santero....but it tasted great when I tried it. Really hoping it’s at the airport.

I actually like donuts. I miss being able to easily acquire ones that tasted like they were made in the last few days, instead of being delivered from a museum

Try Coffee Time. Our local one still bakes all their donuts in house and they're excellent. In the last year or so I've actually noticed a huge uptick in the number of people in our local Coffee Time, the place is always busy and packed full on weekend mornings etc - I think a lot of people are indeed getting sick and tired of the garbage coming out of Hortons and are doing what I did - speaking with their wallets.

I dont think PP was being disruptive, its been a friendly discourse on a subject most are mildly passionate about. And its February.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it was humour without the required emoji.

Country Style. That brings back memories, stopping there on Sunday mornings on the way to the golf club with the old boy. Bunn machines. It was good coffee.

They still exist. Far and few between, but when I see one and need a coffee, I go to it.

Cuban coffee is quite nice , it’s actually pretty expensive and not that easy to find in Canada. (Expensive for a Cuban product) , although the Cuban rums are not the cheapest . Unless your in Cuba where the “cola” part is twice as expensive as the rum part. Like buying Coke in the US. Virgin Islands , just drink more rum , it’s half the price of coke.

My siter and BIL just got back from Cuba. Every time they go I get them to bring back some genuine (not the Peurto Rico version) Havana Club. I'm a big rum guy and it is hands down the BEST rum I've ever had. They just brought me back my latest stash tonight and it included a bottle of the 7 year old vintage. I actually moved my $100 bottle of Hendricks Gin over in the liquor cabinet for it to take it's place. ;)

I'm a huge rum guy (sailor), at any time there will be 12-20 varieties here. Havana club is great for the money. I was just treated to a 35yr old out of barbados , its too nice to mix with anything . So it should be around awile LOL. There may be as many rums produced as there are scotch whiskys , but without all the pretense.
I'd like to try a Spanish Scotch, just to say i did.

we are in the process of moving so the nice Gaggia machine is packed and the kuereg is making coffee. Its a sad time here for the next two weeks

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Ummmm Rummmm. I sped a fair amount of time swashbuckling, once the old girl leaves the hard, filling the rum compartment costs about the same as filling the fuel tanks. My faves are Plantation XO, followed by the cheap stuff Eldorado 12 & Angostura1919.

My son just dropped off a bag of smoke roasted coffee beans. It's from an artisan roaster in Grand Prairie AB called Ole Smokes Coffee, I don't know if this is a gimmick or an artisan coffee -- will review in the AM.

Last edited:
I'm a huge rum guy (sailor), at any time there will be 12-20 varieties here. Havana club is great for the money. I was just treated to a 35yr old out of barbados , its too nice to mix with anything . So it should be around awile LOL. There may be as many rums produced as there are scotch whiskys , but without all the pretense.
I'd like to try a Spanish Scotch, just to say i did.

we are in the process of moving so the nice Gaggia machine is packed and the kuereg is making coffee. Its a sad time here for the next two weeks
When our last house was for sale, the coffee makers got banished (the house was small, they wanted it to appear as big as possible). Machines got packed in august, it was on the market until late november so we didnt bother unpacking them until january at the new house. Boo real estate stupidity.

I love how this thread jumps from one stimulant to another:ROFLMAO:

We're really just addicted zombies arent we?

I love how this thread jumps from one stimulant to another:ROFLMAO:

We're really just addicted zombies arent we?

I was just laughing about how a thread like this not only does that, but reaches 8 pages of replies inside a week.

You know it's winter on a motorcycling forum, when... ?

I was just laughing about how a thread like this not only does that, but reaches 8 pages of replies inside a week.

I'm shocked the 2020 oil thread didn't turn into the usual oil thread bar brawl.

blob

Back
Top Bottom