Coffee: McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Starbucks...or? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coffee: McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Starbucks...or?

As the guy who used to deliver coffee beans to Tim Horton's supplier 25 years ago (Mother Parkers), I like to pretend I know something after talking to the "roast technicians". All the beans (Arabian or Columbian) produce a similar flavor. The difference is in how long you roast the bean. 20 years ago Tim Hortons used a medium roast. Now they roast their beans longer to get more flavor from them and use less beans per cup. This results in a bitter flavor. Starbucks pulls the same scam, resulting in them being called "Charbucks". I used to love the old milder roast Tim Hortons coffee. McDonalds was using a mild roast last time I went there, tastes much better.

The old Tim's before they were bought by Burger King, was a fantastic place. A great cup of coffee for a low price and fresh-baked doughnuts every morning. Anyone remember those huge apple fritters? I make my own coffee now and keep it in a thermos. I always buy a medium or mild roast and use 18% table cream. If I buy out, I buy from Timothy's in the shopping centre, or Second Cup, who will let you choose what roast you want.

As the guy who used to deliver coffee beans to Tim Horton's supplier 25 years ago (Mother Parkers), I like to pretend I know something after talking to the "roast technicians". All the beans (Arabian or Columbian) produce a similar flavor. The difference is in how long you roast the bean. 20 years ago Tim Hortons used a medium roast. Now they roast their beans longer to get more flavor from them and use less beans per cup. This results in a bitter flavor. Starbucks pulls the same scam, resulting in them being called "Charbucks". I used to love the old milder roast Tim Hortons coffee. McDonalds was using a mild roast last time I went there, tastes much better.

The old Tim's before they were bought by Burger King, was a fantastic place. A great cup of coffee for a low price and fresh-baked doughnuts every morning. Anyone remember those huge apple fritters? I make my own coffee now and keep it in a thermos. I always buy a medium or mild roast and use 18% table cream. If I buy out, I buy from Timothy's in the shopping centre, or Second Cup, who will let you choose what roast you want.
Not at all surprised that th used to use mother parker's. I used to work at a greasy spoon that served Maxwell house. They trialed mother parkers and the owner said he made more in a day with MP than he did in a week with MH, but it was universally despised and he went back to MH.

1581814337619.jpeg
This weekends taste.

Black, no sugar. Anything more is uncivilized.

+1 Find a roast that you like and enjoy the unadulterated flavor. If ordering from a coffee truck, double double.

Jacobs made at home is my go-to, About $5.00 a month opens my eyes in the AM.

Not at all surprised that th used to use mother parker's. I used to work at a greasy spoon that served Maxwell house. They trialed mother parkers and the owner said he made more in a day with MP than he did in a week with MH, but it was universally despised and he went back to MH.

Pretty sure Mother Parkers "builds to spec", whatever beans or roasting method their end customer wants as long as the order is big enough.

Tries the Ole Smoke today, it was good, but didn't have the artisan qualities I was expecting. I'm not a coffee connoisseur, for me coffee is either thumbs up or thumbs down -- this was thumbs up. Morning was done with fine grind in a drip Cuisinart, afternoon taste done in a french press with medium grind. The afternoon cup definitely had a richer aroma, but a bit less of the bitterness I enjoy in coffee.

Tomorrow I'dd try the Reserve.

I stopped having Tim's as it would make me bloated. There was a Country Style around the corner to the office which was better. Was taking it one Milk one sugar.

Someone introduced me to a coffee press at which point I became a coffee snob. Black, no other way to fully enjoy the coffee. Not even sugar.

Social Coffee on West Beaver Creek, good peo

Years ago I worked on East Beaver Creek and would walk over to purchase from Social. The best bean I ever bought from then was from a micro batch they picked up. When I opened the bag the beans smelt like s***. But the coffee was awesome! Love thier new store.

I work from home a lot now and really enjoy the Breville espresso machine my wife got me this past Christmas. However it seems she uses it a lot more then I. Making cappuccinos, some macha drink amongst others. I've also made a latte here and there. However I do have an espresso shot before hitting the gym.

I avoid SB wherever I can. Opting for local coffee shops instead. Easier to find downtown then in Markham or Richmond Hill at which point if I'm meeting someone will most likely be at a SB. I do have to admit I like the look of the new stores.

Most times when I travel I try to bring back a bag of locally grown or roasted coffee. Always nice to try a new bean.

Tried the SB Reserve Hawaiian coffee this morning. It's quite strong, the aroma from a drip coffee maker filled the house -- very nice waking up to that. The coffee tasted a bit nutty and was quite oily. Nice bitterness -- this one is two thumbs up for me. Going to try the french press tomorrow to see if it gets better,.

Tim's is tasteless, battery acid tastes better.

McD's they used to be good, but something happened.

Anybody with any coffee snobbery whatsoever knows that Starbuck's is simply the best when it comes to mass chain coffee..
Who tf knows what battery acid tastes like??

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

So tempted to buy a French press and brew in the room myself.

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread but the Aeropress is a brilliant single-serve solution, perfect for work:

5046862-NOC02-ALT-ACTION.jpg

Coffee straight up with a cognac chaser please :coffee:
make it with well water
... not a Toronto well.

On the Rideau Canal there are the Upper and Lower Brewer locks. One has bilge water on tap the other the best water I've ever tasted. I can't remember which is which.

One has bilge water on tap the other the best water I've ever tasted. I can't remember which is which.

Honey, try this and tell me what you think.

First time in my life I poured out a TH coffee....brown water is what they gave me this morning. Disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom