Coffee: McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Starbucks...or? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coffee: McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Starbucks...or?

After I called out the location on social media, they called me with apologies, offers of a refund, gift card, and assured me they are re-training their staff not to use old coffee.

That was the politically correct thing for them to do.
The need a paper trail of them “doing something about it”

The cost of the offered gift cards is peanuts to them.

We know that they will probably just send a memo to the store as their retraining method.

In reality; nothing will really be done about it that would address the issue and prevent it from happening again.

Another TH #%#%#show. They updated their app and in the process zeroed out the money ~20,000 people had in their accounts. Then when people called to complain, they face somewhere between incompetence and out right stonewalling and contempt. Their eventual response tells you everything you need to know about TH moving forward. "We moved the balance across from one database to the other. The money was never gone. It was always there. It was still sitting in the old database,". What? You stole probably close to $400,000 for months and then tell people, dont worry, it was just stored in a place you could not possibly access? Sadly, it's time for TH to wrap up its death spiral.

After reading this forum I decided to lower my expectations on chain store coffee, I deleted taste from the criteria.

I like my own coffee, when I get up in the morning I grind and brew a pot of good quality beans - after 10 years I'm dialed in nicely and love my own coffee work. I drink one at the breakfast table, another on my way to work. If I need one more, it's going to be store bought. The store bought stuff now meets my lower expectations - hot and caffeinated -- and I don't mind spending a dollar or two for their version of coffee!

can't beat the Zavida 2lb bags of organic beans from Costco right now. Really nice roast and taste. In a few days I’ll be in Costa Rica again and I found a producer about 15mins from where I’m staying. That is $9 US a lb though so not cheap unless they do volume discounts.

can't beat the Zavida 2lb bags of organic beans from Costco right now. Really nice roast and taste. In a few days I’ll be in Costa Rica again and I found a producer about 15mins from where I’m staying. That is $9 US a lb though so not cheap unless they do volume discounts.

For us Tassimo type people, how many cups does a pound make? (Lets assume I am using a B&D drip machine and make a 4 cup pot once a day)

For us Tassimo type people, how many cups does a pound make? (Lets assume I am using a B&D drip machine and make a 4 cup pot once a day)
Real 4 cups or the 4 cup mark on the pot? Drip machines need about 2/3 of a pot or more to do a good job. Technically you should dose by weight, but most people use volume. SCAA guidelines call for ~1 rounded tablespoon of ground coffee per cup (coffee maker sized cup). So for 8 cups on the drip machine (~4 north american size mugs), I use 8 rounded tablespoons. My in-laws and parents use 4 rounded tablespoons for the same amount of water. The compromise that we end up with is I make 12 cups my way, pour two mugs for my wife and I and add boiling water to refill carafe. That dilutes it for my in-laws.

I know you didn't ask me
but I brew about that volume everyday
a pound would last around 2 weeks
and I like it on the strong side

I think a tablespoon sized scoop of ground makes a single espresso and I usually have a double and add hot water for a strong americano. Not sure how many beans that is to make that as my machine has an integrated grinder. The bag of beans from Costco is on sale right now for $10. That’s unbeatable value for actually really good coffee.

Real 4 cups or the 4 cup mark on the pot? Drip machines need about 2/3 of a pot or more to do a good job. Technically you should dose by weight, but most people use volume. SCAA guidelines call for ~1 rounded tablespoon of ground coffee per cup (coffee maker sized cup). So for 8 cups on the drip machine (~4 north american size mugs), I use 8 rounded tablespoons. My in-laws and parents use 4 rounded tablespoons for the same amount of water. The compromise that we end up with is I make 12 cups my way, pour two mugs for my wife and I and add boiling water to refill carafe. That dilutes it for my in-laws.

The four cup mark on the pot. I am the only one drinking coffee and I only have one Thermos mug a day so the four cup mark fills my mug at home and a top up when I leave for work. Obviously I am a coffee sipper as that mug will last me from 4:30am until 10am (and yes, it is still hot, the best thermos coffee mugs I have every owned). When I dont have the Tassimo I use two heaping tablespoons of Maxwell House dark roast for the 4 cup mark, once or twice a week. I am asking as I dont know if it is worth it to buy 'good' coffee for that little a week. I drink it for the taste, not the caffeine.

The four cup mark on the pot. I am the only one drinking coffee and I only have one Thermos mug a day so the four cup mark fills my mug at home and a top up when I leave for work. Obviously I am a coffee sipper as that mug will last me from 4:30am until 10am (and yes, it is still hot, the best thermos coffee mugs I have every owned). When I dont have the Tassimo I use two heaping tablespoons of Maxwell House dark roast for the 4 cup mark, once or twice a week. I am asking as I dont know if it is worth it to buy 'good' coffee for that little a week. I drink it for the taste, not the caffeine.
To look at it the other way. Would you notice a difference between good beans and maxwell house? Hell yeah.

Would you like the good beans better? Maybe, maybe not. You are used to MH, you may not appreciate a different flavour profile.

Would the beans get stale? Yes, but by the end of the bag, they will still be fresher than the MH ever was.

A&W coffee is free. I cup per day for the next 30 days if ordered through their app.

Who cares? Hey! It’s free and apparently it’s new so who knows?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A&W coffee is free. I cup per day for the next 30 days if ordered through their app.

Who cares? Hey! It’s free and apparently it’s new so who knows?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure hope they changed it, and their machines. Last two times I had one there it was warm at best and weak as ****

Assuming it works, smoking deal for those wanting an espresso machine/grinder

thats a good deal, if it wasn't in Springwater Ontario.

Starbucks has closed the location inside Oakville Hospital, they cite health and safety , but without any visitors allowed in revenue was in thye crapper.

The only coffee now is the Tim's , which is open and seems to be doing fine. Twice now a "mystery benefactor" has done a 24hrs of free coffee for hospital staff and picked up the tab.

Going forward F you Starbucks, you corporate cowards

Who tf knows what battery acid tastes like??

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Stumbled across this post and it resonated with one of my peeves, people in the coffee business that don't know how a drip coffee maker works. I've had this happen at the defunct Country Style, MacD's and even one manufacturer hasn't a clue.

When you make drip coffee the final product is the average strength of the brew as a given quantity of water goes through the related quantity of grounds.

Every once in a while someone wants to get me my coffee faster so they bypass the procedure and stick my cup under the drip as soon as it starts to flow. I get battery acid and everyone else gets dishwater.

My home machine is a two mug Cuisinart and it was fitted with a valve that allows you to do exactly the same thing. I removed it as it was an insult.

Stumbled across this post and it resonated with one of my peeves, people in the coffee business that don't know how a drip coffee maker works. I've had this happen at the defunct Country Style, MacD's and even one manufacturer hasn't a clue.

When you make drip coffee the final product is the average strength of the brew as a given quantity of water goes through the related quantity of grounds.

Every once in a while someone wants to get me my coffee faster so they bypass the procedure and stick my cup under the drip as soon as it starts to flow. I get battery acid and everyone else gets dishwater.

My home machine is a two mug Cuisinart and it was fitted with a valve that allows you to do exactly the same thing. I removed it as it was an insult.
I use that in my favor. The in laws like brown and water. If I am making coffee, I will steal an early cup and we are all happy. If my wife also wants coffee, I make the batch proper strength, pour out two mugs and then top off the pot with hot water for the in-laws. Drip americano ftw.

anyone know why the coffee at Tim Horton's so inconsistent in taste. From flat to burnt to good!

Back
Top Bottom