Coffee: McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Starbucks...or? | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coffee: McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Starbucks...or?

Do they still change out pots after 20 mins? Fresh Tims is only tolerable because of the 18% cream they use. Stale Tims is vile.

(If you drink your Tims black, I have no words.)
Let's just say the cream would make me feel very ill....milk only. But I need to find a new supplier. This was just disgusting.

Last edited:
So a question for you the Baristas.

How do you store your coffee?
Either roasted beans or ground up.

I have heard that one of the best ways, especially when ground up is in a jar and in the freezer?

Is this just an Old wives' tale or a proper way of storing it?

So a question for you the Baristas.

How do you store your coffee?
Either roasted beans or ground up.

I have heard that one of the best ways, especially when ground up is in a jar and in the freezer?

Is this just an Old wives' tale or a proper way of storing it?
In and out of the freezer is the worst. In the past, when I had pre-ground beans (mainly at the office), I would keep a weeks worth in a sealed opaque container and the rest in the freezer. You don't want the frozen coffee to warm up and refreeze as it will get damp and gross.

Most people that know about coffee say don't freeze it, but they also say grind it seconds before you brew it. Sometimes that isn't practical.

Currently I keep beans in their bags in a cupboard. I try and buy good beans a week at a time but that doesn't always work. I normally have a 5 lb bag of starbucks french roast (blech) in the cupboard for my wife. At home everything gets ground just before it is used.

I think the important points are keep it away from light, temperature swings, lots of air flow, etc. For most store-bought beans, it has been so long since they were roasted, whether they are in the bag with a purge port or in a sealed container probably doesn't matter at all.

The fancy bags that most coffee beans come in is designed for a reason. Use the one way valve to squeeze all the air out of the bag and the beans will keep for a lot longer as you go though them. We used to freeze the beans but go through them so fast there’s no point.

Agree.
Keep in original packaging. I don't usually put in freezer. Go through the bag fast enough. Also the in and out will form condensation on the beans.

Don’t freeze it, the freezing changes the oils in the beans and changes flavours. I keep roasted beans in a sealed Tupperware tub once I’ve opened the original package.
I’ll use ground when I can’t grind it fresh, but I’ll only buy a bag or grind enough to get me through not being able to grind beans.
I’m not dragging beans camping or traveling, I’m too lazy.
The Tim’s crowd often don’t like the coffee they like the cream, that 18% shot of fat, they are addicted to the fat. And sugar , double double your ass to the fat farm.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

First time in my life I poured out a TH coffee....brown water is what they gave me this morning. Disgusting.

Happened to me some time ago at the 401W service plaza in Newtonville. I was desperate for a coffee so I grabbed a dark roast at the Tims there. And I have to be desperate to even consider a Tims coffee, much less buy one.

Got back out to my truck, back on the highway, and took a sip.

I **** you not it tasted like something they'd spilled on the counter, soaked up with a dishrag, and then squeezed out back into the carafe. Literally undrinkable. I poured it out on the ground when I got back to my work.

How in gods name can a process that involves "pour pre-measured bag of grinds into machine, press button, wait, serve" generate such a poor result is beyond my understanding. The thing is...occasionally, you get a palatable (using the term loosely) cup at some locations, but it's the inconsistency that baffles me. It's a idiot proof process, it seems - how can one carafe be almost tolerable, and the next taste like something that was squeegeed up off the floor at a cattle barn?

I’m not dragging beans camping or traveling, I’m too lazy.
I often travel with an aeropress and hario mini-mill. If I am going for a while and space isn't an issue, I bring a cordless drill to spin the hario. On a canoe trip, none of the above. If I don't need it to keep me alive, I'm not carrying it.

We are on a cruise ship right now, Carnival Pride. We've sailed with a few different cruise lines and the coffee is all over the map. Royal Caribbean seems to be the most Tim Hortons-esque with meh coffee that varies all over the ship. Again, they can't seem to make a consistent cup. Not surprising, they seem to have no problem making a decent cup at the (*cough*, upcharge) Starbucks onboard, however..

Carnival on the other hand uses an entirely automated machine everywhere on their ship. They dump grinds into the hopper on top (and they actually seem to use a pretty good grind, whatever it is) and the machine completely and totally automates the rest. And I must say, the coffee is actually pretty damned good.

We bring our own coffee gear onboard when we sail RCI. On Carnival, nope....pretty happy with what we get.

Been coffee free for 3 weeks, have to say it's nice not having to scrape and scrounge for a mediocre cup of joe.

C7B39E29-B9E9-4F6E-8550-18453245FFBA.jpeg
My fix machine for then next week aboard the ship.

So Tiny Tim's has refactored their loyalty program... at first glance, it seems like the yield ends up being the same if you buy hot brown and redeem the points for more hot brown. However it seems like it's designed to obfuscate something and I haven't imbibed enough hot brown this week to figure out what it is. Any economic analysts here on the case?

So Tiny Tim's has refactored their loyalty program... at first glance, it seems like the yield ends up being the same if you buy hot brown and redeem the points for more hot brown. However it seems like it's designed to obfuscate something and I haven't imbibed enough hot brown this week to figure out what it is. Any economic analysts here on the case?
Program seems useless. If I understand correctly, each purchase over 0.49 is worth a point. Doesnt matter whether you spend 0.50 or $50.00 in the visit. They are trying to incentivise multiple visits to get traffic up in stores.

Program seems useless. If I understand correctly, each purchase over 0.49 is worth a point. Doesnt matter whether you spend 0.50 or $50.00 in the visit. They are trying to incentivise multiple visits to get traffic up in stores.

That's basically how it worked before though, isn't it? You go there and buy one coffee or ten and you get +1 tracked purchase on the old system. Reach 7 and you earn one free coffee. For one person frequently buying coffee for themselves, it was alright. Not great for whoever's doing the jobsite coffee run.

for people that just cannot let go

wtf is the "purest roast you have ever had"? Everybody just heats beans, how can you be more pure than that? Failure from the start. They did manages to find $3,000 worth of stupid people on Indiegogo though.

@GreyGhost there’s never a shortage of stupid people around willing to part with their money.
if only I could find the perfect scheme....I mean project....I’d be doing the same thing as these coffee guys.

I assume no copyright infringements with HBO over the use of Heisenber and logo similar to Breaking Bad with the chem symbol...

Do they still change out pots after 20 mins? Fresh Tims is only tolerable because of the 18% cream they use. Stale Tims is vile.

(If you drink your Tims black, I have no words.)
For about 10 years.
Black Tim's coffee.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

For about 10 years.
Black Tim's coffee.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
After I called out the location on social media, they called me with apologies, offers of a refund, gift card, and assured me they are re-training their staff not to use old coffee.

Back
Top Bottom