Canada post rant | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada post rant

I should make up one of those stickers an put it in my slot at the community mail box. I wonder if it would work?

On a positive note, the 'No Junk Mail' sign does seem to work. Before I put that up her mailbox would be overflowing with crap when I went by every week. It dropped down to virtually nothing. I put one on my mailbox a month later and noticed the same result.
Yes we do take note of this (or should), you could also verbally tell the letter carrier, but then you run the risk of anyone covering their route not knowing about it.

I should make up one of those stickers an put it in my slot at the community mail box. I wonder if it would work?
yes it should work just fine. stick it to the bottom on the inside, close to the front (where we access the panel to put your mail in).

works like that for condos which are considered 'CMBs'

yes it should work just fine. stick it to the bottom on the inside, close to the front (where we access the panel to put your mail in).

works like that for condos which are considered 'CMBs'

I will try either with a label maker or one of the envelope address labels.

I go to the mail box everyday and we don't always get mail. If I don't have any important mail and just Re/Max flyers I just leave them in there for another day. I'll take them home to recycle next time with the important mail.
But than again, if I at least got flyers, I know the Mail carrier came by that day.

I go to the mail box everyday and we don't always get mail. If I don't have any important mail and just Re/Max flyers I just leave them in there for another day. I'll take them home to recycle next time with the important mail.
But than again, if I at least got flyers, I know the Mail carrier came by that day.
The only 'junk mail' we're obligated to deliver is community newspaper or anything from the government.

I check every few weeks unless I know something important is coming. I would be entirely ok with weekly mail delivery. Daily may matter for businesses but imo is wasteful for residential.

I check every few weeks unless I know something important is coming. I would be entirely ok with weekly mail delivery. Daily may matter for businesses but imo is wasteful for residential.
Even if they did it every other day. Mon, Wed, Friday. Maybe another area would be only Tuesday and Thursday.

I'm sure they could save thousand's if not millions of dollars annually.
But the unions would probably spend just as much fighting it.

For the record. I have nothing against union workers.

I check my mail every 15 minutes, even when I do not expect anything. I think it’s some kind of obsession.

So I need my mail at least twice a day. And sometimes I get it twice a day - expedited parcels usually delivered separately from a regular mail.

I check my mail every 15 minutes, even when I do not expect anything. I think it’s some kind of obsession.

So I need my mail at least twice a day. And sometimes I get it twice a day - expedited parcels usually delivered separately from a regular mail.
I check most days, but then I usually just leave it in the mailbox and open it later or weeks later... meh it's mostly bills I don't want to look at.

On a positive note, the 'No Junk Mail' sign does seem to work. Before I put that up her mailbox would be overflowing with crap when I went by every week. It dropped down to virtually nothing. I put one on my mailbox a month later and noticed the same result.
I tried taping a note to the inside of my box, some delivery guys don't take personal requests.

Now I slide all of my junk mail into the 'Outgoing Mail' slot in my supermailbox.

I tried taping a note to the inside of my box, some delivery guys don't take personal requests.

Now I slide all of my junk mail into the 'Outgoing Mail' slot in my supermailbox.
They should certainly be honoring your decision. I'm fairly certain you can call in/email/request on the canada post website to opt out it as well.

Doesn't have to be a sonnet, simply 'no flyers/junk mail please' should be sufficient.

If you feel like twisting the knife you could complain that you've been receiving this after requesting not to, you're going to get a few people in 'trouble' here. As supervisors should be doing site visits..so depending on what kind of mailbox we're talking about..they could be negligent as well.

They should certainly be honoring your decision. I'm fairly certain you can call in/email/request on the canada post website to opt out it as well.

Doesn't have to be a sonnet, simply 'no flyers/junk mail please' should be sufficient.

If you feel like twisting the knife you could complain that you've been receiving this after requesting not to, you're going to get a few people in 'trouble' here. As supervisors should be doing site visits..so depending on what kind of mailbox we're talking about..they could be negligent as well.
I had a commercial account with Canada post for years, we shipped 50+ parcels a day. All my daily pickup/delivery drivers were awesome and with the exception of a few services, they were cheaper than Fedex or UPS, gentler on packages (fewer claims) and reliable enough.

I doubt drivers get into much trouble over complaints. The biggest complaint I had were with delivery drivers, particularly rural routes. My goods were often 20-30KG going to residential addresses, we caught drivers writing door tags instead of attempting deliveries. When they do this, they save time and heavy lifting by unloading parcels at the local PO for customer pickup - my customers would go bonkers when this happened. When you called in a complaint, nothing would happened. Send them a Facebook ready video -- they were all over it.

I had a commercial account with Canada post for years, we shipped 50+ parcels a day. All my daily pickup/delivery drivers were awesome and with the exception of a few services, they were cheaper than Fedex or UPS, gentler on packages (fewer claims) and reliable enough.

I doubt drivers get into much trouble over complaints. The biggest complaint I had were with delivery drivers, particularly rural routes. My goods were often 20-30KG going to residential addresses, we caught drivers writing door tags instead of attempting deliveries. When they do this, they save time and heavy lifting by unloading parcels at the local PO for customer pickup - my customers would go bonkers when this happened. When you called in a complaint, nothing would happened. Send them a Facebook ready video -- they were all over it.
That is unfortunately a fairly common occurrence and I agree, you'll likely not see much fallout from that. many drivers don't even likely have to spend time going to the RPO, they just return them to the depot and it gets sent out by another guy.

'junk mail' is treated as a completely different animal at CP and gets ALOT of attention. i won't spill trade secrets but let's just say when i'm asked if 'everything was delivered' on my route they aren't asking about your letter from grandma or your new teacup from amazon.

Last edited:
That is unfortunately a fairly common occurrence and I agree, you'll likely not see much fallout from that. many drivers don't even likely have to spend time going to the RPO, they just return them to the depot and it gets sent out by another guy.

'junk mail' is treated as a completely different animal at CP and gets ALOT of attention. i won't spill trade secrets but let's just say when i'm asked if 'everything was delivered' on my route they aren't asking about your letter from grandma or your new teacup from amazon.
That's an easy one... as a past junk mailer, it's pretty easy to tell when an area is missed - a well designed campaign draws a predictable response, client analytics draws a clear map. If I had customers in a mailing area, I'd offer them something to let me know when the piece dropped. There be squirmin at CPC when a sales rep requests a client credit for missed drops.

That's an easy one... as a past junk mailer, it's pretty easy to tell when an area is missed - a well designed campaign draws a predictable response, client analytics draws a clear map. If I had customers in a mailing area, I'd offer them something to let me know when the piece dropped. There be squirmin at CPC when a sales rep requests a client credit for missed drops.
yes, they already have 'mystery shoppers' setup.

by 'they' i mean canada post, not the client.

So clever. Not. Don't be that guy, man. Sheesh!

If you don't wish to receive, have your box clearly labelled as such. In the meantime, put it in your blue box.

Canada Post is only interested in admail and parcels. And that includes the tea cup from Amazon. Anything else is merely incidental.

If you don't wish to receive, have your box clearly labelled as such. In the meantime, put it in your blue box.

Canada Post is only interested in admail and parcels. And that includes the tea cup from Amazon. Anything else is merely incidental.
I have a note taped into the roof of my box - you have to push it away to get my mail into the box.

I only use the return to sender if the mailmanisses my note.

It's better in there than all over my lawn! Our 'superbox' is located on my side yard and I'm the guy that has to go around and pick up all that crap that no one seems to want. I may need to put one of my blue boxes next to the superbox and hope my neighbours put their unwanted junk mail into it, rather than throwing on the ground.

I still can't figure out why they chose this location for the superbox. There is no sidewalk and no parking allowed on this side of the street. In addition, they had to construct a small retaining wall into the sloped yard and a drop curb to allow people to access the mail box from the road. By comparison the other side of the road has sidewalk access, a level boulevard and parking allowed. Both sides of the road offer a residential flankage, so difference there. I think the homeowners on the other corner must have had more influence than our previous owners and they won the battle.

Back
Top Bottom