Canada post rant | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada post rant

Out of curiosity
The carriers that use their own vehicles. Are the reimbursed by the km or some other method? i.e. gas card, part of their pay etc..

Out curiosity
The carriers that use their own vehicles. Are the reimbursed by the km or some other method? i.e. gas card, part of their pay etc..
as i recall they do get mileage compensation, but F that. Unless i bought a dodgy Caravan or something you won't see me doing this, even then...upkeep vs compensation...doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

as i recall they do get mileage compensation, but F that. Unless i bought a dodgy Caravan or something you won't see me doing this, even then...upkeep vs compensation...doesn't sound like a good deal to me.
Seeing what many rural carriers drive, depreciation ended long ago. If they comp you at max rate allowable without being considered income (plausible as it's govt) and you drive something cheap, you can make quite a bit tax free. It could actually be a good use case for a crap Leaf with a battery pack that is no good for anyone else and therefore headed for scrap. Mail delivery is almost perfect use case for an EV. Obviously paying 50K plus would wreck the economics but if you can find one cheap enough and have somewhere to park/charge it when you aren't working, you could make a killing.

Seeing what many rural carriers drive, depreciation ended long ago. If they comp you at max rate allowable without being considered income (plausible as it's govt) and you drive something cheap, you can make quite a bit tax free. It could actually be a good use case for a crap Leaf with a battery pack that is no good for anyone else and therefore headed for scrap. Mail delivery is almost perfect use case for an EV. Obviously paying 50K plus would wreck the economics but if you can find one cheap enough and have somewhere to park/charge it when you aren't working, you could make a killing.
sure, I would agree somewhere, someone is making 'it work'. Not worth the headache for me, I'd rather use your money, your vehicle and the taxpayer gas card. 😁

Thanks GG!

Being compensated by the employer for business use of personal vehicle almost never works out in favour of the vehicle owner/employee.

You may be making a couple of bucks on single trips if you look at the cost of gas for said trip vs the reimbursement you got from the employer. But in the long run with maintenance, insurance etc it is not in your favour. Not to mention the depreciation of the kms with all those additional thousands of kms.

My favourite answer the common question:
What is the best car?

Answer: A Company car....

Last edited:
That's one way to make it work.

So, personal vehicles at CP - those are RR and SS routes. They generally Are done by people with their own vehicles, but have a sign and light on top. Very rural areas will get a carrier driving a right hand drive box on wheels.
Yup I'm one of those "Very Rural" areas. We have a great carrier in one of those box's. Last year she dropped a package to us and I told her I could smell gas from her vehicle to which she replied it has a fuel leak and she was hurrying to deliver all the packages before it al drains out. I guess she just wanted to leave work instead of going back for a safe vehicle. Sure enough there was a fuel puddle left and a trail as she drove away.

And how many of them are rolling the dice by using their vehicle to deliver mail and insuring the vehicle under a personal/pleasure policy? That can bite you if you get in an accident and the adjuster makes it to the vehicle before you have a chance to remove the CP roof marker.

Under the max per-kilometer allowance, a postie who drives 30,000kms for work would be reimbursed $18,900 which is tax free.
Just get a dedicated used van that's a couple of years old and it will pay for itself in not too long at all.

Show your work:
First 5,000kms at $0.68 per km = $3,400
Every km after that at $0.62 per km = $15,500
Total = $18,900

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yup I'm one of those "Very Rural" areas. We have a great carrier in one of those box's. Last year she dropped a package to us and I told her I could smell gas from her vehicle to which she replied it has a fuel leak and she was hurrying to deliver all the packages before it al drains out. I guess she just wanted to leave work instead of going back for a safe vehicle. Sure enough there was a fuel puddle left and a trail as she drove away.
Yeah.. those boxes are pretty terrible all in all...
To be honest, their only saving grace is that dropping the transmission literally means taking out 4 bolts.

They're old, cranky and falling apart. Apparently they are starting to replace the oldest vehicles in Ontario with electric ones now. Starting down Fort Erie way, working east to GTA, then a bit west of Hamilton and eventually the rest of the province in a decade or so.

My Ford Transit Connect has 60,100km on it as of today. It looks like it's been around the world and back, always at a coastline for maximum salt exposure.

Under the max per-kilometer allowance, a postie who drives 30,000kms for work would be reimbursed $18,900 which is tax free.
Just get a dedicated used van that's a couple of years old and it will pay for itself in not too long at all.

Show your work:
First 5,000kms at $0.68 per km = $3,400
Every km after that at $0.62 per km = $15,500
Total = $18,900
From what I understand, CP pays a generous amount to the RSMC's (people with own vehicles). Enough to pay for mileage, gas and insurance, or very close to it. Average distance for RSMC's would be around 60-70km per day for a full time route.

Only other real differences between them and a regular CP supplied vehicle is that their junk mail is paid out as an average for the year, and they only have 1 day to deliver it (i.e. they hit every single address on their route) - normal routes get paid 1.2 cents per piece of junk and get 3 days to deliver (there's a colour coded system for which part of your route is junk mail day).

Last edited:
As for parking illegally - that’s a prime example of the carrier messing around with their route to make it easier for them. If they were found parking on the wrong side of the road etc by a supervisor, that would incur a write up on their file. The route measurement people design the route so that they are always parked on the proper side of the road next to the CMB. They do not want carriers crossing roads to access the CMBs.
It that's the case this CMB must be moved because it's on the side of the street that is signed as "No Parking". The carrier must park illegally in order to be located on the same side of the road directly in front of the CMB. If they are required to park legally, they would need to cross the road to reach the box. I may bring this up with the local carrier depot.

It that's the case this CMB must be moved because it's on the side of the street that is signed as "No Parking". The carrier must park illegally in order to be located on the same side of the road directly in front of the CMB. If they are required to park legally, they would need to cross the road to reach the box. I may bring this up with the local carrier depot.
Absolutely your right to bring it up to the depot. Ask to talk to the supervisor of your street, and they'll figure something out.
Arm yourself with photos of the no parking signs and where the CMB is located.

My postie drives a right hand drive second generation roughly twenty year old CR-V with CP signage all over it. I'm assuming It's a personal vehicle. It's in great shape for its age. I regularly see cars 5-10 years old in worse shape.

With the recent closure of many local newspapers, which also distributed a lot of the store flyers, are any of you posties tired of the extra "mail"?

I for sure am. Before, I knew the flyers would come on a Thursday and headed straight to the recycling bin.
Now, the same amount of flyers is spread out throughout the week. Its getting annoying.

Last edited:
With the recent closure of many local newspapers, which also distributed a lot of the store flyers, are any of you posties tired of the extra "mail"?

I for sure am. Before, I knew the flyers would come on a Thursday and headed straight to the recycling bin.
Now, the same amount of flyers is spread out throughout the week. Its getting annoying.
Flyers have slimmed down for me. They might come once a week, and usually it's all bundled in a plastic bag, which gets immediately tossed.
But I might live in a low profile neighbourhood so it's not targeted for marketing, like others.

Funny enough I got a yellow pages book the other day. I just looked at it and thought WTF, I guess some people find it useful. Tossed.

Flyers have slimmed down for me. They might come once a week, and usually it's all bundled in a plastic bag, which gets immediately tossed.
But I might live in a low profile neighbourhood so it's not targeted for marketing, like others.

Funny enough I got a yellow pages book the other day. I just looked at it and thought WTF, I guess some people find it useful. Tossed.
WHAT. They still actually print those?

Maybe the bigger questions is, who agrees to advertise in a printed copy of the yellow pages.

I loved Thursdays around here. My neighbour's kids were delivering it every Thursday, and it was like Christmas here...

Am I gonna get a CT flyer...or a PA flyer this week?! Never know!

Now with the closures of the small newspapers...not only do I lose that flyer regularly on Thursday, but the kids next door just lost their $10/week delivery route.

WHAT. They still actually print those?

Maybe the bigger questions is, who agrees to advertise in a printed copy of the yellow pages.
The same people that advertise in the weekly church newsletters! Don't underestimate the power of print advertising in something that is 'comfortable' and 'understood' by the older generation.

ask @Jayell

he was warning me about the increase in NM last BurgeRR lol

Back
Top Bottom