Biden presidency | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Biden presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canad post stuck a 7% fuel surcharge on a small package I mailed the other day that needs to travel about an hour in the ground. What is their baseline fuel price they expect?

They are looking to recover the carbon tax and the extra fuel usage of their 20 year old gas burners that are left idling everywhere?

Canad post stuck a 7% fuel surcharge on a small package I mailed the other day that needs to travel about an hour in the ground. What is their baseline fuel price they expect?
7%!? That’s a lovely way to recover costs. I’d figure Canada Post is going gangbusters right now.

7%!? That’s a lovely way to recover costs. I’d figure Canada Post is going gangbusters right now.
Well it was $0.72 on a package that cost ~$10 to ship. Not sure if it is flat rate, percentage, based on weight (which was not much more than bubble wrap), etc.

EDIT:
Weight was 81 grams. Fuel surcharge was just listed as 1@$0.72 (plus HST of course). Base shipping price was $10.24.

Last edited:
Anyone watching the inauguration concert? Every song so far seems like a not so subtle dig at Trump. It’s quite funny.

I wonder if Trump is tweeting somewhere that Joe's crowd so much smaller, like a billion times smaller...oh wait...

Biden plans to block Keystone XL pipeline expansion on day 1 of his presidency. Alberta won't be happy!
And it has come to pass.

Could never really wrap my head around the project but it looks like Mr. Kenney is quite dissapointed.
Hopefully this doesnt lead to huge job losses in that sector in the short term..

If they start retaliating with tariffs, I feel like Canada has a lot more to lose in this game.
I would think that given the liberal parties on both sides of the border, there'd be a more beneficial agreement when it comes to these things, especially given these times...no?

"It also warned the move will lead to the layoffs of thousands of union workers and comes despite the company’s commitments to use renewable energy to power the pipeline and forge equity partnerships with Indigenous communities.

“This action is killing thousands of Canadian and American jobs at a time when both economies badly need private investment,” said CEO Tim McMillan in a statement.

Meanwhile, environmental groups applauded Biden’s move.

“We need to get as many people back to work, in every part of Canada, in every sector, as quickly as possible. The loss of this important project only makes that harder,” he said.

The association, whose member companies employ thousands of Alberta and B.C. construction workers, said the pipeline would have generated as many as 60,000 direct and indirect jobs in Canada and the United States.

TC Energy approved spending US$8 billion in the spring of 2020 to complete Keystone XL after the Alberta government agreed to invest about US$1.1 billion (C$1.5 billion) as equity and guarantee a US$4.2-billion project loan.

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney has said the province has about $1 billion at risk if the project is killed.

The 1,947-kilometre pipeline is designed to carry 830,000 barrels a day of crude oil from Hardisty, Alta., to Steele City, Neb. From there it would connect with the company’s existing facilities to reach the U.S. Gulf Coast – one of the world’s biggest oil refining hubs.

Some 200 kilometres of pipe have already been installed for the expansion, including across the Canada-U.S. border, and construction has begun on pump stations in Alberta and several U.S. states."

And it has come to pass.

Could never really wrap my head around the project but it looks like Mr. Kenney is quite dissapointed.
Hopefully this doesnt lead to huge job losses in that sector in the short term..

If they start retaliating with tariffs, I feel like Canada has a lot more to lose in this game.
I would think that given the liberal parties on both sides of the border, there'd be a more beneficial agreement when it comes to these things, especially given these times...no?

"It also warned the move will lead to the layoffs of thousands of union workers and comes despite the company’s commitments to use renewable energy to power the pipeline and forge equity partnerships with Indigenous communities.

“This action is killing thousands of Canadian and American jobs at a time when both economies badly need private investment,” said CEO Tim McMillan in a statement.

“We need to get as many people back to work, in every part of Canada, in every sector, as quickly as possible. The loss of this important project only makes that harder,” he said.

The association, whose member companies employ thousands of Alberta and B.C. construction workers, said the pipeline would have generated as many as 60,000 direct and indirect jobs in Canada and the United States.

TC Energy approved spending US$8 billion in the spring of 2020 to complete Keystone XL after the Alberta government agreed to invest about US$1.1 billion (C$1.5 billion) as equity and guarantee a US$4.2-billion project loan.

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney has said the province has about $1 billion at risk if the project is killed.

The 1,947-kilometre pipeline is designed to carry 830,000 barrels a day of crude oil from Hardisty, Alta., to Steele City, Neb. From there it would connect with the company’s existing facilities to reach the U.S. Gulf Coast – one of the world’s biggest oil refining hubs.

Some 200 kilometres of pipe have already been installed for the expansion, including across the Canada-U.S. border, and construction has begun on pump stations in Alberta and several U.S. states."
The pipeline was only approved in 2019....after it was cancelled in 2016 by Obama. They knew they were on thin ice when they approved the deal less than a year ago. Biden was talking about cancelling it BEFORE it was approved! So they rolled the dice and lost. No reason to cry to Trudeau for their own mistake. Maybe Kenney should have waited 7 months till the election before he flushed $1 billion down the drain.

Last edited:
And it has come to pass.

How does that math work? Seems like optimistic reporting. Alberta put in $1.5B in equity and guaranteed a $5.7B loan on a pipeline to nowhere. They may carry some value on the books to minimize apparent losses, but a pipeline to nowhere has a real market value of close to zero. It looks to me like Alberta is on track for a $7B gut punch on this one, not the $1B mentioned in the article.

How does that math work? Seems like optimistic reporting. Alberta put in $1.5B in equity and guaranteed a $5.7B loan on a pipeline to nowhere. They may carry some value on the books to minimize apparent losses, but a pipeline to nowhere has a real market value of close to zero. It looks to me like Alberta is on track for a $7B gut punch on this one, not the $1B mentioned in the article.
Maybe the feds will buy another pipeline, after all they bought one already that was never built

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom