Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 25 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

Nope. Just me, alone, up on the escarpment. usually wearing a beat up old bike/moto shirt with the sleeves cut off (and PI shorts - because performance). I enjoy pissing the "cyclists" off. They aren't allowed to wave/acknowledge me because I'm (perceived) below them. I flip them the bird. Fun all around.

If it's nuclear hot I will ride North Shore along to the lake. I don't use the bike lane. Tubs are expensive, and a PITA to fix.

Pro tip: Road racers are a-holes. All of them. That's coming from an ex road racer.

You should a lot like a semi-serious bicyclist friend of mine. He has this T-Shirt and wears it everytime he rides. It seems to irk the "super serious pro racer" crowd even more than his "mere peasant" bicycle he rides. ?

pos-jer-m_cp-1600.jpg

Just about any wheel can be converted to tubeless. I have my 10 speed converted to tubeless. If you get a puncture that does not self-seal you can throw a tube in at the side of the road.

In theory maybe, but it is not always the case and the average rider may not have the skills of confidence. Personally I have the skills yet still ride tubes on my road bikes, kids are riding tubes MTB, only my MTB is tubeless but it is actual UST.

Tubes have worked for a very long time and I am sure I just jinxed myself but I get a flat maybe once every few years.... I carry patches and CO2 (and a phone...).

In theory maybe, but it is not always the case and the average rider may not have the skills of confidence. Personally I have the skills yet still ride tubes on my road bikes, kids are riding tubes MTB, only my MTB is tubeless but it is actual UST.

Tubes have worked for a very long time and I am sure I just jinxed myself but I get a flat maybe once every few years.... I carry patches and CO2 (and a phone...).

I was late for work too many times because of flats. I tried flat resistant tires, but the rolling resistance just kills my psych. Even more than motorcyclists in the bicycle lane. That's why tubeless made sense to me. Then my old MTB performed best at 9 PSI rear tire pressure. I tried every ghetto trick out there to convert wheels to tubeless. Duct tape is a terrible for sealing wheels. It always ends up peeling off, and it leave a gooey mess. For my mtb I used 16" tubes as liners. Worked great. Road wheels needed to be built up more to get the bead to seat. I used rubber splicing tape. That stuff does not peel, stays in place, and it's clean. So, rubber splicing tape is in my opinion the best liner to convert to tubeless.

So anyone on GTAM wanna do a ride in halton?

You should a lot like a semi-serious bicyclist friend of mine. He has this T-Shirt and wears it everytime he rides. It seems to irk the "super serious pro racer" crowd even more than his "mere peasant" bicycle he rides. ?

pos-jer-m_cp-1600.jpg

That 100% me. I want.

pos-jer-m_cp-1600.jpg

That 100% me. I want.

I was late for work too many times because of flats. I tried flat resistant tires, but the rolling resistance just kills my psych. Even more than motorcyclists in the bicycle lane. That's why tubeless made sense to me. Then my old MTB performed best at 9 PSI rear tire pressure. I tried every ghetto trick out there to convert wheels to tubeless. Duct tape is a terrible for sealing wheels. It always ends up peeling off, and it leave a gooey mess. For my mtb I used 16" tubes as liners. Worked great. Road wheels needed to be built up more to get the bead to seat. I used rubber splicing tape. That stuff does not peel, stays in place, and it's clean. So, rubber splicing tape is in my opinion the best liner to convert to tubeless.

So anyone on GTAM wanna do a ride in halton?

That 100% me. I want.
where in Halton?

where in Halton?
Escarpment. Usually I drive the bike to canyon and limestone. I used to park around spokes and slopes, but I did not like doing the steels climb right away. I'm not picky, but I try to avoid city streets because of the drivers around here.

MTB bike related. I’m in need of chain ring replacement. Looking for good parts sources. Not high end, FSA 42/32/24 is what I’ve got. The inside middle chain ring is pooched. The low chain ring is mounted to the middle chain ring. Most chain rings don’t seem to allow for this since most crank arms have the low chain ring mount directly to it.

Maybe I just gotta bite the bullet and upgrade the crank set?

Just seems like I have to spend more just to replace a worn chain ring.

I’m good with ordering from a local GTA shop and paying for shipping or curb side pick up.

Most websites just don’t seem to have much for parts lists?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ps edit, I’ve ordered locally from shops in the Niagara Region for other things such as chains, tires, cables etc but, this seems to stump the locals.

MTB bike related. I’m in need of chain ring replacement. Looking for good parts sources. Not high end, FSA 42/32/24 is what I’ve got. The inside middle chain ring is pooched. The low chain ring is mounted to the middle chain ring. Most chain rings don’t seem to allow for this since most crank arms have the low chain ring mount directly to it.

Maybe I just gotta bite the bullet and upgrade the crank set?

Just seems like I have to spend more just to replace a worn chain ring.

I’m good with ordering from a local GTA shop and paying for shipping or curb side pick up.

Most websites just don’t seem to have much for parts lists?

Thoughts?

Ps edit, I’ve ordered locally from shops in the Niagara Region for other things such as chains, tires, cables etc but, this seems to stump the locals.

Parts are starting to get harder and harder to get due to COVID supply chain disruption (and the increased popularity of cycling). Many shops are running out (including Canadian online retailers), some LBS won't even sell to the general public these days for DIY they are reserving what they have for service customers.

I hate doing it, but I have recently ordered stuff from bikeinn (takes forever these days but they have stuff) and even some basics from aliexpress! Just ordered a 27" threaded steerer replacement fork (for a vintage road build) from an ebay retailer as the local guys are all out. I prefer local and/or local online.

If you are stuck not riding and by chance the BB is square taper (probably not), I have a few of those awful heavy riveted SR Suntour triples (steel rings, aluminum arms) that come on entry level department store bikes, you can have one. Little rust on the rings but not worn out and can be cleaned up to get someone through the season.

Thanks for the offer and that’s why respect GTAM as members are more than just motorcyclist.

I’m getting by using the outer ring as we cycle mostly paths right now.

I have a “spare” bike I can salvage parts from but, it’s really my youngest son who isn’t riding it right now.

I’ll keep surfing and see what I can find. Appreciate the insight because I thought it was just me. But it makes sense for shops to keep parts to service and maintain their business over the do it DIY crowds.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Where are you? FSA sells several 32-24 modular chainrings. Some 4 + 4 bolt, some direct mount + 4 bolt. Which model? Pic would help.

Last edited:
Where are you? FSA sells several 32-24 modular chainrings. Some 4 + 4 bolt, some direct mount + 4 bolt. Which model? Pic would help.

I’ll send better pics later in the morning.

I’m just finishing a night cap with an old friend on the porch.

Here is what I have now. Believe it’s a 104 mm 4 bolt.

IMG_0827.jpg

I'll ask my guy if he has anything this afternoon

I'll ask my guy if he has anything this afternoon

That would be great. I can etransfer or PayPal.

Not sure if the pics show it but, the chain is getting caught in what’s left of the teeth. I’ve replaced the chain.

If I can’t get a chain ring, I’m happy to buy a replacement crank set.

It’s 175 mm.

Here are some more pics.
764941b06926e768021b6c843376c614.jpg

9de1fdb782dc9021d52459689541c8e7.jpg

Added another pic.

bdf3107616e8356505d238771aecc998.jpg

Last edited:
Was it original equipment on the bike? If so what make and model bike and roughly year? It may just be long discontinued but it may also give an additional clue.

The inner and middle rings look to be riveted together with the rivets that are made to look like fake allen head screws. I checked the crappy SR Suntour ones I have in the junk box (as they also do this) and the BCD for the middle ring is either 96 or 110 mm depending on the version (riveted but they can be drilled out and reused if BCD matches--with some creativity, but in this case wrong BCD...). The SR Suntour ones have the inner ring "pressed" to the arm and the middle and outer use the fake allen head rivets to attach to the inner...

Last edited:
Hi Folks! It’s a Cannondale F7 and appears the crank may not be stock. I purchased used privately.

I’m not going to mess around looking for chain rings and replace the crank set with a Shimano.

It’s Cannondale’s first MTB frame to come from Taiwan. So, it’s on the cheap side. But it’s been good to me.

Thanks for the help. I thought I was going crazy. A lot has changed in the last 15 years with components. So much variety.

I might have some throwaway but still functional 4 hole chainrings.

I also have a niceish x3 sram based MTB crank.

I'll get you some measurements later today

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hey all, I haven't been following this thread at all other then I know it exsisted. I've just started to get back on my bicycle again for some exercise, I am not cyclist. Just a simple supercycle from CT. Anyhow the seat on this bike sucks, my butt is severaly hurting after a ride. I've thought about getting a gel cover or different seat. Are the gel covers worth it?

Hey all, I haven't been following this thread at all other then I know it exsisted. I've just started to get back on my bicycle again for some exercise, I am not cyclist. Just a simple supercycle from CT. Anyhow the seat on this bike sucks, my butt is severaly hurting after a ride. I've thought about getting a gel cover or different seat. Are the gel covers worth it?
No. You are heading in the wrong direction. In most cases, the smaller seats are more comfortable as they support you on your sit bones instead of beating up your ass meat. The first ride of the year sucks, after that is smooth sailing.

Google where the seat is hurting and you may come up with adjustments you can make to the current seat to improve comfort (tip or slide).

Also google proper seat adjustment and correct feet placement. (Feet placement is less of an issue with shoes/clips)

I find most people have their seat too low because they want to have their feet down at a stop and remain on their seat. End up sitting back with all their weight on it and hurts after a while.

Anyways, if you raise the seat and have a narrow and firm and flat seat, it’s generally comfortable. Like motorcycle seats, everyone has different opinion about which are the best and most comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom