Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

sburns the front of the seat is way too high IMO, I am getting pain just looking at the side pic :). Ideally you want ~level when riding (your weight on the bike), if the bike is rigid just make it level, if it has a front suspension fork you may need to make a very minor adjustment to compensate for suspension sag. The post to seat mount should (will) allow you to adjust angle and front to back on the same mechanism. When loose the seat can slide front to back on the seat rails and the mount should have some rotation ability for level. It looks like it has the "older style", just a post and then a separate seat mount clamp, they can be a bit of a pain to adjust. I would focus on knee angle (height) and level if you can't get the shin bone directly above the pedal axle, get it as close as reasonable. Many times you may actualy need a different seat post with a higher rear offset to get that seat front to back dialed in perfect. Specially if the frame is on the small side for the rider.

As for the seat, sure it is a cheaper one but at the same time I see nothing in its overall shape (pretty generic middle of the road) that should be a problem for the average male rider not doing super long rides. But as others noted, there are a tonne of shapes to get that dialed right in if need be. I prefer trying to dial in what is there best before throwing money and/or parts at the bike...

I read somewhere long ago that the seat should be tilted very slightly upward, so as to support the male anatomy.
Has that changed, or was I misinformed?

Thanks for all the tips about the seat and bike setup. The bike I know is too small I've adjusted it as best I can by raising the seat a bit. Legs don't quite extend as they should when the peddle is in the down position. But it's what I have and decent enough to putter around the parks in my area for some exercise.

The seat doesn't have much in terms of padding and after a short while feels like a rock. There isn't anything to adjust there, other then the tilt angle, which I'll look at. I know you mentioned my butt will adjust once I get use to this again. Possibly, I hope.

View attachment 44248

Hard seats are better, more important to get the tilt and ergonomics right to release any pressure points, if you want the perfect saddle get a Brooks. Also, try and put your body weight into the pedals and use your thighs/calves to hold you to some degree, even when not pedaling. You can go into a bike shop and get a decent saddle for nothing to try in the parts bin, as a lot of people swap out great saddles and bike shops just pile the stock ones from high end bikes, which are pretty decent for the basics.

I cycled from here to Ottawa, day ride to Peterborough, Lindsay, Burlington etc... all stock seats. after a few days you adjust, either forget about the pain or just get numb to it, I don't wear padded cycling shorts either

Never heard of that, doesn't sound right, seat should be as level as possible, if anything slight tilt downward not to place pressure on male anatomy over time

And if you look at the bikes in the video preview frame of the video you posted both of those pro's seats are tilted upwards a few degrees. Level is a good starting point. Personal preference dictates final setting. Only time you'd want to go more than +1-2 deg. would be on a DH bike, and that's dictated by terrain.

Never heard of that, doesn't sound right, seat should be as level as possible, if anything slight tilt downward not to place pressure on male anatomy over time

Looking at the two pictures on your link and they both look tipped up slightly to me.

I read somewhere long ago that the seat should be tilted very slightly upward, so as to support the male anatomy.
Has that changed, or was I misinformed?
Not sure if serious? They are happy hanging most of their life, why should you try to push them into your throat on a bike? For a while, a company was selling a seat without a nose to allow the boys freedom and remove the pressure and pain but it was a failed experiment. You need some form of nose between your legs to support and control the bike.

And if you look at the bikes in the video preview frame of the video you posted both of those pro's seats are tilted upwards a few degrees. Level is a good starting point. Personal preference dictates final setting. Only time you'd want to go more than +1-2 deg. would be on a DH bike, and that's dictated by terrain.
If we're talking about a degree or two, i'm not going to argue with anyone, ride what's comfortable. If we are talking about the OP's tilt, I can't see that being good for anyone.

My info is from 50 years ago, a German neighbor used to race ultralight single speed bikes. It might be outdated now.

The pictures are also not level, look at the bikes frame and road/background as reference

Mind you of UCI regulations, was 3degree tilt maximum, now 9 degree tilt. Some tilt up, though never more than 3 degrees, even than, majority are tilting all the way down. Either way, no one here is going to the Tour De France, whatever one can find as comfortable for distance and works, works :)

Yes, start level and adjust slightly nose down or up to make it ideal for you. UCI has limits because pro riders will do weird things to maximize aero, power etc. What they do is not always right for the average rider. The seat in question is way too nose high IMO.

For reference here are my three saddles I am using today. While all three look quite different in shape they are all roughly 130mm (give or take) in effective width. I can ride all three bikes for hours with no pain (four to five is common). The MEC saddle (left) is their basic (cheap) one and there is not much padding but the plastic body is very flexy for my weight, I thought it would be a problem but I have no issues with it. The centre Selle Italia is very firm (shell and padding) but fits nicely and is my overall favourite but $$$$s. The Selle Italia Shiver on the right has softer padding but a firm shell.

All three are very slightly nose down from level BTW.

Not that weight is a big factor in saddle fit but I am not a tinny TdF rider.....~230 lbs.

Saddles.jpg

This saddle for reference I absolutely hate. Never could narrow down exactly why but it is 140 mm in width and pretty "flat"... just does not fit me at all.

Bad Saddle.jpg

Last edited:
116436995_3406124962772395_266021216339669796_n.jpg

Yes, I think so providing you're not exceeding the speed limit excessively. What's acceptable for speeding? Probably depends on a number of things from weather conditions to where you're driving. School zone vs 407 would be my polar opposites. Blowing through a stop sign or red light is inviting disaster no matter what you're riding/driving. Going 5 km over the speed limit on Hyw 407 is not even keeping up with the traffic flow.
rolling though a stop sign at an empty intersection is not more disaster inviting than driving 5km/h over the limit.
should all motorists (including cyclists) stop at stop signs? absolutely, but thats not reality, so when I see a cyclist approach I expect him not to stop and give him the room he needs, just like I do with jaywalking pedestrians

Drive around at 20 over running all the stop signs/red lights you encounter. Report back whether the speeding or failing to stop puts you in ICU first.
now you're just making dumb assumptions about things I did not say

Stopping at stop signs is just a good excuse to practice track stands.

Having said that yes cyclists roll stop signs all the time and it can become a bad habit started by rolling signs with no traffic until it becomes so habitual that they roll when there is opposing traffic not even thinking. You also get the TdF peleton groups that do it out of misguided perceived privilege.

Does not matter if the cyclist is right or wrong the combination of physics and biology always wins at the point of impact.... it even trumps seat angle!

Back
Top Bottom