Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

your group got split at a red, you pulled over and 20 seconds later the light changed. Worlds fastest traffic lights out there

I was waiting for someone to seize on that. Not disappointed.

We’d rode for close to a minute by the point I found a safe place to pull over well clear of traffic.

So yes, it was about 20 seconds or so we were actually stopped.

Pre-COVID used bicycle price increases assuming nine speed 105 groupset with Ultegra rear IMO that is a $600 to $700 bike, it is in really nice shape BTW. Maybe less if there is a mix of lower end parts or eight speed rear. Today, I really don't know for sure other than it is likely higher as used prices have gone through the roof.

Hopefully you get some feedback from others here...
Thanks very much - this info is very helpful!

Go to NYC and stop in a cycling lane in Sean Avery’s neighborhood.

My nieghborhood has really wide bicycle lanes, some wide enough for two bikes side by. But we still have the hardcore guys that need the bike lane, the 'car' lane, roll as a pack on the red lights and the grand prix cornering splitting into oncoming traffic to shorten the corner. And lots that dont feel comfortable on a bike lane so they still book it down the sidewalk with the kids at 20K

I think its been forever thus

But we still have the hardcore guys that need the bike lane, the 'car' lane

The roads get swept in the spring. After that, everything that gets dropped/accumulates on the road gets kicked to the bike lane by cars. @ 110 psi, I don't bother with the bike lane. I use the road just like I always did before they put in the Debris Lanes.

The city gets really expensive mini sweepers and plows for that in Toronto. It's nice to see that tax dollars are being used wisely. Yell at your Councillor, that's what they're there for. Well, that, filling in pot holes, installing speed bumps, and photo radar.

As far as stopping in the cycling lane only for 20 seconds, it's about the same as parking on the sidewalk and forcing the pedestrians, and wheelchairs to walk/move around you in the live traffic lanes. i.e. there's no excuse, and no way to foist the blame onto the person who calls you on it. Stop in the live traffic lane, at least then the cyclists are safe, and there's no fear that you're going to do a cabby turn into them as they pass by.

Last edited:
New bike last week ?
Trek Fuel EX Project One
Carbon frame Factory Custom Radio Active Orange paint
Fox 34 / 130ml travel fork/ fox reactive shock 130ml travel rear
29” Bontrager Carbon wheels, Shimano XT 2x11 drive, XT brakes, Bontrager dropper seat post, Carbon bars, Ergon Grips, One flat pedals
Bontrager XR4 team spec 2.4 tires
Exactly how I wanted her built.
Now to be perfectly honest the bike was ordered by a bike shop not me.
I wanted a colour closer to my KTM orange But for the cost savings I decided this would do just fine. Every other spec was exactly as my order was going to be.

thanks for the advice all. I am going to stick with the front suspension for now. My moutain biking for hte next little while is not likely going to go beyond Southern Ontario, so it sounds like the the front suspension is sufficient. now let us see what is out there...

We ride mostly asphalt paths and occasional dirt trails using hard tail MTB bikes that are fairly entry level. Cable disc brakes, 26” rims, aluminum frame from name brand manufacturers. Cannondale, Specialized, Trek etc.

Owned them about 4 years and keep them stored inside during the winter. Regular tune up, lube cables etc.

Sure, a little heavy compared to newer models but, we are just a family that ride 20 to 30 kms on a regular basis.

Wife and I ride a little more frequently since the teenagers don’t rise until the afternoon.

Don’t think you need to spend a fortune for equipment that serves its intended purpose.
9347dd18fe220e8855bb804254d1682e.jpg

They are step above Walmart or Costco crap. But, we aren’t tracking our times or racing anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are there 11 in your group and are you dressed like a tube of toothpaste? Do you go line to line slipstreaming like the Blue Angels? #LakeshoreBlvd every damn night.

The roads get swept in the spring. After that, everything that gets dropped/accumulates on the road gets kicked to the bike lane by cars. @ 110 psi, I don't bother with the bike lane. I use the road just like I always did before they put in the Debris Lanes.

are there 11 in your group and are you dressed like a tube of toothpaste? Do you go line to line slipstreaming like the Blue Angels? #LakeshoreBlvd every damn night.
One group used to fly down South Kingsway every evening and then loop back up Riverside, over and over. Lots of cars parked in the fake bike lanes. The street actually used to be a 60 zone with passing all the way up when I first hung around there.

Motorcycles would loop the Queensway to S Kingsway, back to Queensway, back to S Kingsway ramp around the same point in history.

Nope. Just me, alone, up on the escarpment. usually wearing a beat up old bike/moto shirt with the sleeves cut off (and PI shorts - because performance). I enjoy pissing the "cyclists" off. They aren't allowed to wave/acknowledge me because I'm (perceived) below them. I flip them the bird. Fun all around.

If it's nuclear hot I will ride North Shore along to the lake. I don't use the bike lane. Tubs are expensive, and a PITA to fix.

Pro tip: Road racers are a-holes. All of them. That's coming from an ex road racer.

50092879463_49517e7e21_b.jpg

It depends where you live. In mississauga the road sweepers seem to be going at it almost "weekly". But often times to be honest there aren't cycling lanes anyways. And yeah on tires that are 25c or less debris kinda sucks. On my roadie i avoid them, but on my cruddy single speed with Gatorskins i just plow through it :D

Funny enough, we took someone down to ride along the Niagara, who was training for an Ironman. We had a mountain & a hybrid and her bike was some type of high pressure race bike. She blew three tubes. It turns out that she had gotten a tiny sliver of glass in the tire.

So, does this mean that you're against bike lanes, if they won't clean them enough, then?

That makes no sense
You don't ride in the bike lanes, even though they are there.
Therefore, they are an unnecessary expense for you.
If they cleaned them more often, would you use them, or not?

Funny enough, we took someone down to ride along the Niagara, who was training for an Ironman. We had a mountain & a hybrid and her bike was some type of high pressure race bike. She blew three tubes. It turns out that she had gotten a tiny sliver of glass in the tire.

So, does this mean that you're against bike lanes, if they won't clean them enough, then?
Well if it feels like a gravel ride in the bike lane, i'll prefer to stay on the road for sure lol. That's if im on the roadie, on the other cheap bike it doesn't bother me as much as tires are bigger and more puncture resistant (and therefore more comfortable overall)
Some bike lanes are in pretty rough condition and dont get as much maintenance as the regular road. Let me tell ya, potholes at 30+ km/h are not something that are fun to roll over

Heh this last month I gave away 2 tubes around the escarpment. Why isn't everyone tubeless?
For me it would mean getting a new set of wheels and tires and that's just not in the budget this year

And not all tubeless punctures can be resealed where as more often than not, tube replacements are enough for getting you going on the side of the road. But all the other advantages like instantaneous puncture "repair" and lower running PSI for added comfort are quite awesome things to consider.

Just about any wheel can be converted to tubeless. I have my 10 speed converted to tubeless. If you get a puncture that does not self-seal you can throw a tube in at the side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom