Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

Try the very basics of bike fit first before spending money:

You want your knee to have a slight bend when at the bottom of the pedal stroke. The ball of your foot should be centred on the axle. When the cranks are horizontal you want the top of your shin bone (below the knee) to be directly above the pedal axle. Check both legs as they may be different enough... Seat should be close to level for most riders (and UCI racing rules...).

Easy way to do this, sit on the bike with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, place your heal (in the shoes you ride in) on the pedal, feet horizontal. Move the seat up in height until your leg/knee is straight, do not rock your hips (reach), must be natural. Seat should be close to level. When riding the ball of your foot should be centred on the pedal, with your foot here you will now have a slight bend (damn close to perfectly correct) in the knee for the same pedal position. Do not ride with your arch on the pedal, I see too many people do this...

Next is front to back, the top front of the shin bone should be lined up (directly above) the forward pedal axle (with your ball of the foot above the axle of course) when the cranks are horizontal. Move the seat front to back to achieve this. Not everyone agrees with the necessity (importance) of this BTW.

To do the above either lean against a wall to hold your self up or have a friend hold up the bike. Try this, go for a some rides and see if it helps the butt pain.

The tough part of a new seat is wider and too soft "comfort" seats are not usually better, it is about fit but it can be hard to find the right fit looking at a display or web page... if you still need a new seat readjust height and front to back again. But try free adjustments first.

There is also a period of time required when new to riding or getting back on after a period off to build up butt endurance.

Last edited:
I might have some throwaway but still functional 4 hole chainrings.

I also have a niceish x3 sram based MTB crank.

I'll get you some measurements later today

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The FSA crank I have, the 4 bolt is 104 mm.

I’m just searching crank sets and bottom brackets and will get the tool to remove. Things sure have changed from the days of cotter pins. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the tips about the seat and bike setup. The bike I know is too small I've adjusted it as best I can by raising the seat a bit. Legs don't quite extend as they should when the peddle is in the down position. But it's what I have and decent enough to putter around the parks in my area for some exercise.

The seat doesn't have much in terms of padding and after a short while feels like a rock. There isn't anything to adjust there, other then the tilt angle, which I'll look at. I know you mentioned my butt will adjust once I get use to this again. Possibly, I hope.

IMG_4077.jpg

Thanks for all the tips about the seat and bike setup. The bike I know is too small I've adjusted it as best I can by raising the seat a bit. Legs don't quite extend as they should when the peddle is in the down position. But it's what I have and decent enough to putter around the parks in my area for some exercise.

The seat doesn't have much in terms of padding and after a short while feels like a rock. There isn't anything to adjust there, other then the tilt angle, which I'll look at. I know you mentioned my butt will adjust once I get use to this again. Possibly, I hope.

View attachment 44248
Take a picture from the side with the camera horizontal and roughly parallel with the seat. I suspect you can also slide the seat rails in the clamp. From this angle it looks nose high which I have never seen on a bike that was comfortable. What adjustment do you have at the handlebars? If the frame is small for you, getting the bars as high as possible my help you fit better.

EDIT:
Has this bike ever been comfortable? I am 20+ pounds up from when I bought my road bike and it is bloody murder now. Lights out in minutes. I need to drop weight for it to be comfortable again. Mtb still feels like home and I can ride it forever with no issues.

In much more depressing news, an ******* running from the cops in King this morning killed a cyclist and the cops can't figure out who the cyclist is. :( To be honest, that description matches half the cyclists on Keele. Someone will have a really crappy evening when they figure out someone isn't home that was supposed to be. I don't have a blue helmet, otherwise I almost fit the description (normally wear bright clothes on the road though and carry a single card and phone for emergencies).

He is described as a white male between the ages of 40 and 50, with a medium build and was riding a Specialized Tarmac bike.

Police said he was wearing a black, grey, and white cyclist clothing, and a navy blue helmet.

There's almost as many shapes of seats as there are *****. Try sitting on different bikes with different saddles and see if you can find one that fits your butt. I use one type of saddle for the most part Selle Italia Turbo or the cut down version the Flite. They just fit. There ar a couple of others that are similar I can live with. Surprisingly, their Evolution version is super comfy (for me - YRMV).

50149445771_4338aa8c7b_b.jpg

Take a picture from the side with the camera horizontal and roughly parallel with the seat. I suspect you can also slide the seat rails in the clamp. From this angle it looks nose high which I have never seen on a bike that was comfortable. What adjustment do you have at the handlebars? If the frame is small for you, getting the bars as high as possible my help you fit better.

EDIT:
Has this bike ever been comfortable? I am 20+ pounds up from when I bought my road bike and it is bloody murder now. Lights out in minutes. I need to drop weight for it to be comfortable again. Mtb still feels like home and I can ride it forever with no issues.
Here is a shot from the side.

As for comfort, hmm not really maybe when I first got it, but I may have ignored it then. That was 10 years ago. I haven't gain too much weight just in the waistline.

IMG_4078.jpg

Here is a shot from the side.

As for comfort, hmm not really maybe when I first got it, but I may have ignored it then. That was 10 years ago. I haven't gain too much weight just in the waistline.

View attachment 44255

Adjust the seat to the line of the top cross bar or the seam along the garage door. The front is too high.

Edit:

It’s also pushed forward. You can slide it back some and give yourself some more room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adjust the seat to the line of the top cross bar or the seam along the garage door. The front is too high.

Edit:

It’s also pushed forward. You can slide it back some and give yourself some more room.
Ok will do. Not sure how to adjust the forward back, but I will see when I get into it!
Thanks

So I have a truvativ gxp.

I was going to list it as a complete groupset on Kijiji. Or maybe install it on GF's bike instead of the stupid square taper. It's a surprisingly nice crank. Way lighter than my slx. Price police.
8b2c976d856841e4ff436c23fd97242e.jpg
0f0333fcd388db11ac044d8d051415d7.jpg
e6db8f4570cb44b6e973b8c73b3b756a.jpg
a419e9181452ee6c67cf9032fbb26016.jpg
43916fa7cf6c1e20db2bf3cd55836822.jpg
bc81658dcbec666001f6e14e7f81c827.jpg
df087c6278d5b07f349c49b7b7e9df6f.jpg
0c337232d55b5c87ca6323467da290af.jpg
0038cdb166dc6c68103252c91ec42fd7.jpg

I have a junk crack if you just want a temporary square taper with 3 chain rings. It will need cleaning. Weird sizing, gives out to 127 bcd.

333b04ab5a3b844ad8c03b71033c245d.jpg

So, I'm at a complete stop at a 4-way stop sign the other day and buddy on a bicycle comes from my left on the other road and just blows through the stop, not even slowing down at all so, my question is; if I had not seen him and started across the intersection and hit him (or, him T-bone me) who's at fault and would I get sued by him for injuries? As far as I can see, there's no licence required, no registration and no testing for bicycles so why would road laws apply to them or pedestrians for that matter right? Don't both always have the right of way?

I don't ride a bicycle by the way so I know nothing about them or what rules might govern them. I just found it kind of shocking that someone would not even consider slowing down for a stop sign.

So, I'm at a complete stop at a 4-way stop sign the other day and buddy on a bicycle comes from my left on the other road and just blows through the stop, not even slowing down at all so, my question is; if I had not seen him and started across the intersection and hit him (or, him T-bone me) who's at fault and would I get sued by him for injuries? As far as I can see, there's no licence required, no registration and no testing for bicycles so why would road laws apply to them or pedestrians for that matter right? Don't both always have the right of way?

I don't ride a bicycle by the way so I know nothing about them or what rules might govern them. I just found it kind of shocking that someone would not even consider slowing down for a stop sign.
He would have been at fault. Bikes are required to stop at stop signs. The only way you are at fault is if he gets to stop sign first, stops and then goes and you hit him. Even though he was at fault, if the injuries were bad, he would probably sue you and win some. It's cheaper for insurance companies to pay people off than fight for a zero.

cyclist didnt stop at a stop sign?? that never happends

on a serious note, the rules of the road apply to everyone, but some driver, cyclists, e-bikes, and even.......wait for it.........motorcyclists choose not to follow them. do you always follow the rules?

cyclist didnt stop at a stop sign?? that never happends

on a serious note, the rules of the road apply to everyone, but some driver, cyclists, e-bikes, and even.......wait for it.........motorcyclists choose not to follow them. do you always follow the rules?
I've been rear ended twice by cyclists and bumped once by a car, while stopping at a stop sign on my bicycle.

Yeah I think I usually do pretty much. I mean, we have all gone over the speed limit from time to time but in the case of red lights & stop signs - I take those pretty seriously no matter what vehicle I'm driving.
so speed limits are less important than stop signs?

Make sure if you have a rack on your vehicle it is attached properly. Dodged someone rides on the 400 tonight. A big pile of something in the right wheel track of lane one and most of the bike in the left wheel track in lane one somehow standing on its nose. It looked like it was teed up waiting for someone that wasn't quite on the ball to put it out of its' misery. Two vehicles pulled off to the right. I'm not sure if one of them had lost the rack or whether they had both hit it.

so speed limits are less important than stop signs?
Yes, I think so providing you're not exceeding the speed limit excessively. What's acceptable for speeding? Probably depends on a number of things from weather conditions to where you're driving. School zone vs 407 would be my polar opposites. Blowing through a stop sign or red light is inviting disaster no matter what you're riding/driving. Going 5 km over the speed limit on Hyw 407 is not even keeping up with the traffic flow.

Back
Top Bottom