Any members here that have sleds too? | Page 21 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any members here that have sleds too?

As instate i am done, then had a 21 renegade (850) dropped off to test ride on Monday eve.

I prob don't need an 850 but oh my gosh. Skiis on the ground - bah! So much fun and a lot better position for me to control/push.

O
Don't crash that one. You will be going a lot faster and odds of getting hurt go way up. Lots of fun though.

As instate i am done, then had a 21 renegade (850) dropped off to test ride on Monday eve.

I prob don't need an 850 but oh my gosh. Skiis on the ground - bah! So much fun and a lot better position for me to control/push.

O
I’m likely no faster through the trails on my 850 as I was on my 600 but the 850 just has it beat with grin factor. Kinda like my KTM 300 2-stroke, it’s fun in that it try’s to randomly kill me sometimes.
Plus the Rene hooks up so much better than the 121/129 I had before it’s skis-in-the-air fun and much smoother.

I did notice the skiis in the air factor.....stupid grins.

Ahh got a couple of months before snow again.
Now to dust off the trackbikes kids!

Let's GO!!!

I did notice the skiis in the air factor.....stupid grins.

Ahh got a couple of months before snow again.
Now to dust off the trackbikes kids!

Let's GO!!!
Asphalt/grass drags?

How does the factory setup behave, skis just off the ground or reaching for the sky?

It was good for me but I found myself still trying to get weight down in front by standing up, prob a bike habit.

I also liked the throttle response. Much smoother and linear than the Apex (used husbands to compare) much more snap off the line.

Why the hell do snowmobiles not have twist throttles?

He got me in the straight though, but I wasn't really pinning it as I don't own, snow sucks and the field had some good tractor ruts.

Twist throttles are harder to use when standing/hanging off/jerking on the bars? More likely to go whisky throttle with a twist? Not entirely sure. I've never seen a sled/atv/jetski with twist, they all settled on thumb. Presumably there was a reason.

Can stand up on a dirt bike and manage the throttle...

I dunno either, seems to me way easier than a thumb throttle

Twist throttles are harder to use when standing/hanging off/jerking on the bars? More likely to go whisky throttle with a twist? Not entirely sure. I've never seen a sled/atv/jetski with twist, they all settled on thumb. Presumably there was a reason.
Your right for sure that it’s to prevent whisky throttle. Blow your feet off the pegs or get out of shape on a bike and you fall off. Do the same on a sled or quad and you’ll be wide open until you hit something. Wouldn’t be a great time on a 160hp sled lol.

Munster makes finger throttles for sleds but that’s for the mountain riders. Same problem with whisky throttle in the trails with a finger set up.

I'm just guessing, but for snowmobiling at least it might have to do with grip, and sense of grip. Dirtbiking gloves are thin and easier to get a nice tight grip. Although winter mitts and gloves are improving, they are still usually big, bulky and much harder to "twist the wrist" in. That being said you're not the only one who prefers twist throttles and there are many conversion kits available (for atvs at least).

One other thought - i've had problems with my throttle sticking after going through a bunch of powder over and over again. The powdery snow sticks to the throttle cable, then gets sucked up into the housing. It's particularly bad with heated thumb throttle because it melts inside, then freezes when sitting. The housing couldn't get much "tighter", and I can only imagine a twist throttle could amplify the problem due to other moving parts. Again, just guessing - don't quote me on any of this :p

Last edited:
I found my thumb got cold working the throttle so I loosened the throttle and turned it on the bar so I could comfortably work the throttle with the palm of my hand while my thumb was inside the mitt with my fingers warming up.
Blackcamaro you still got that snow? We can trailer.....

I found my thumb got cold working the throttle so I loosened the throttle and turned it on the bar so I could comfortably work the throttle with the palm of my hand while my thumb was inside the mitt with my fingers warming up.
Blackcamaro you still got that snow? We can trailer.....
No thumb warmer?

We have more than a foot on the lawn. Trails are pretty brown. As far as I know they are still open, but most of the locals have called it for the year.

@timtune no all done for this year. My brother in law is still running the ice and says it’s decent but I’m out on that at this point in the season.

*I doubt anyone is going out there but I should clarify “decent” if you know where your going and don’t mind running some water you can get around on the bay. In no way is it safe for someone to trailer up and just start exploring.

Last edited:
thumb warmers? That would ruin the feel of my vintage sled. I run old school muffs over the bar ends and they work pretty good up to a point

I still don't get it but ok.

Twist throttles snap back, don't see the diff being tossed into dirt or snow other than the landing.

I still don't get it but ok.

Twist throttles snap back, don't see the diff being tossed into dirt or snow other than the landing.
I think the thought is normally you can't stay on a bike once you go off the back or side. A sled or ATV is inherently pretty stable and will be quite happy to take off like a rocket while you drag along beside it. You need to train yourself mentally to let go of your expensive toy and tumble along the ground if you had a twist throttle.

Economics. Twist grip throttle costs money and a thumb trigger throttle costs pennies.
... plus, snowmobiles practically have only 2 operating speeds, idle and wot.

It's Motorcycle season here again today anyway ?

Last edited:
Economics. Twist grip throttle costs money and a thumb trigger throttle costs pennies.
... plus, snowmobiles practically have only 2 operating speeds, idle and wot.

It's Motorcycle season here again today anyway ?
Have you ridden a modern sled? They've gotten really quick, it is very hard to use full throttle on a trail. Hell, even in a field, you can give it a squirt but then need to get on the brakes.

Ok if thats the only reason I can live with that. Upgrade when I can. Hehe

May need to talk a hardworking dude down on a used one....Running out of time to order a brand new one and prob will crash it so may as well buy a (way) newer used one.

Back
Top Bottom