Any insight on electric scooters for adults? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any insight on electric scooters for adults?

Any motorized conveyance that doesn't fit within one of the few narrow exceptions (such as ebike) is a motor vehicle. At any time when riding in public, a cop could rightfully hand you >$6000 in tickets. It's up to an individual to determine if that is worth the risk. The other interesting scenario is if you hurt someone. Do you have liability insurance that will cover you when riding an unlicensed, uninsured motor vehicle in public? I don't think I do. I have an extra 1M rider but I think that only works with legal vehicles.

I am with you here, every time I see these geared up in full helmets flying unicycles I think how much steering they have to avoid collision with a kid jumping on the narrow trail (think crowded Lakeshore Blue path on weekends) ...

At least hooligans on eBikes are quiet :rolleyes:

EV adventure Day One EV bike.

I wobbled as much as when I switched from my small bicycle when I was 8 ish to my sisters 26" three speed I inherited but sure loved that bike.
Desperately need a rear view mirror...rode in the bike lane facing traffic so wasn't as nervous and slowly settled down to a couple of Ks around the neighborhood.
Need to sort the seat higher and figure out the gearing. Sure takes off the minute you start pedaling...goes from walking speed to 20kph in a heart beat. It's disconcerting as it does not feel fast at all but then you see the speedo.
No way to change the seat angle that I can see - just the height. But seat okay otherwise and tilt not horrid.
Got the rear view mirror ordered
1657600765992.jpeg
thought I might need rear lights ...nope
1657600782423.png
and a phone holder
1657600822049.jpeg
It's Amazon Prime day so saved a bit.

I must admit this is cool looking
1657600647099.jpeg

At least hooligans on eBikes are quiet :rolleyes:

EV adventure Day One EV bike.

I wobbled as much as when I switched from my small bicycle when I was 8 ish to my sisters 26" three speed I inherited but sure loved that bike.
Desperately need a rear view mirror...rode in the bike lane facing traffic so wasn't as nervous and slowly settled down to a couple of Ks around the neighborhood.
Need to sort the seat higher and figure out the gearing. Sure takes off the minute you start pedaling...goes from walking speed to 20kph in a heart beat. It's disconcerting as it does not feel fast at all but then you see the speedo.
No way to change the seat angle that I can see - just the height. But seat okay otherwise and tilt not horrid.
Got the rear view mirror ordered
View attachment 56420
thought I might need rear lights ...nope
View attachment 56421
and a phone holder
View attachment 56422
It's Amazon Prime day so saved a bit.

I must admit this is cool looking
View attachment 56419
Congrats. It's hard to see from the pictures but most bikes have a way to adjust seat tilt. Either a bolt parallel to the axle or a vertical bolt that clamps sectors of a toothed circle together.

Was coming home along Dundas yesterday through Mississauga. Guy on an e-bike was cooking it. I'd pass him, stop at a red, and he'd catch up. Went on like this for at least 10 minutes or so.

Was thinking how strong of a rider he was until I saw it was an e-bike, and a sweet looking mountain bike one to boot. I'd figure a good 30-40kph easy. No helmet and just blasting on the sidewalk.

Hopefully nothing gets in his way.

In other news...my son asked yesterday 'dad can you take off the training wheels?'

I was a little surprised as he's fairly timid and injury averse...jumped on the bike and after a few false starts was zooming up and down the driveway, up the street beside me and I couldn't get the smile off my face. Good times.

A friend of mine imported a bunch of Italjet e bikes a few years ago. The build quality was unreal. But they were priced out of sight. Two models, $7500 and $10500.

speaking about legal - I've seen a lot of these electric unicycles on Lakeshore trail flying by me on my road bicycle with crazy speeds... Those guys have as much gear as I have on my motorcycle (for a reason I suppose)... how it could be legal, never seen them stopped and by who? I don't see any enforcement on trails even in most popular places..

View attachment 56408

Indeed. Saw them on the street for the first time the other day. Just shook my head.

This is why we keep passing more restrictive laws. We find new creative ways to kill ourselves daily.

Indeed. Saw them on the street for the first time the other day. Just shook my head.

This is why we keep passing more restrictive laws. We find new creative ways to kill ourselves daily.
As with most things (like 172), there are already more than enough laws to deal with the situation. Enforce the ones we have and only create more if there is an obvious and exploited hole.

5k km on the ebike today- nicely warmed - small sweat, heart rate 118 when got back — dropping now - I think I shifted gears but hard to tell but pace was okay once i did - pedal assist 2-3 - in the middle - waiting on rear view mirror - one idjit driver pulled out her driveway right in front of me on the bike lane - lucky i was going slow - the bike gets to 20+= kph so quick - but think i got the seat height correct so could extend legs…need to work on my take off ….akin to albatross on land 🤪

Damn. How is this so cheap.
Ah just figured it out ...$3300 with lead acid ....$8200 with highest power Lithium.
But where does it fit in the licencing and insurance spectrum.
This bike is sold in Canada .... :unsure:

1660194937764.png

There are pedals it

And hacks galore.

Wild west days....as the transition evolves.
Tho true to form Australia putting regs in place

Last edited:
Picked this up for $36 Aus shipped - watch the video - really well thought out. My CB300 has 39L Shad topcase so this 35L on the eBike will hold decent groceries and my laptop will fit for longer rides.
A photo from one buyer
1660269740094-png.306442

ROCKBROS 35L Waterproof Bicycle Bag MTB Bike Rack Trunk Pannier Bike Multifunctional Large Capacity Travel Bag Bike Accessories

- good reviews and design. Hard to beleive the price point.
www.aliexpress.com

17.98US $ 48% OFF|Rockbros 35l Waterproof Bicycle Bag Mtb Bike Rack Trunk Pannier Bike Multifunctional Large Capacity Travel Bag Bike Accessories - Bicycle Bags & Panniers - AliExpress

Smarter Shopping, Better Living! Aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com

This is the feature that hooked me. Panniers that come out on both sides.

HTB1BRfcL3HqK1RjSZFPq6AwapXaf.jpg

and nice padding for camera - supposedly waterproof too.

HTB10_95L9rqK1RjSZK9q6xyypXaa.jpg

worth watching the video.

I’m looking for a cheap solution to the tail bag problem I’m having. As in I don’t have a rear tail bag.

The SHAD cases are great, but I don’t have a way to install a tail bag so May just buy something to strap to the tail and use that instead of buying a new GIVI rack, or SHAD rack.

Have GIVI E21 side luggage + GIVI tail bag, but no mounts.

For openers, make the operation of ANY motorized vehicle require the equivalent of an M-1.

Have a owned for life plate like the trailers have.

IMO those are simple. Insurance is the big problem. If a careless E biker knocks down and cripples a pedestrian with neither having insurance, who pays for the victims lifelong expenses? What appears to be a simple fall can be life changing.

Assume the biker has no assets and claims bankruptcy.

Insurance can't be discussed until the licensing issues are resolved. Ask an insurer for a rate on an unregulated vehicle operated by an rider with no set training, testing or knowledge.

For openers, make the operation of ANY motorized vehicle require the equivalent of an M-1.

No, they can get limited speed M licenses like everyone else unless it's purely pedal assist (no throttle) and hard capped at 32km/h as the law intended.

Why should some DUI mobile weighing 300 pounds plus the rider doing 60km/h get a pass with just an M1 but riding a Honda Ruckus needs a M(L)?

No, they can get limited speed M licenses like everyone else unless it's purely pedal assist (no throttle) and hard capped at 32km/h as the law intended.

Why should some DUI mobile weighing 300 pounds plus the rider doing 60km/h get a pass with just an M1 but riding a Honda Ruckus needs a M(L)?
Yup. They need to remove the line in the sand based on where the dinosaurs are burned. It makes absolutely zero sense. The throttle/speed line makes a lot more sense to me. Hell, it should be simple enough for an ebike to have a never exceed speed of 32 km/h (harder to implement on a gas burner). If you start going faster than that, it turns the motor into a generator to keep speed from climbing. Makes it super easy to enforce as if you are over ~35 km/h you are non-compliant.

I'm 100% behind you but there is a better chance of getting the equivalent of a boater's card concept through. You pass a written test acknowledging the rules and can't play dumb. Tighten the screws a bit later.

DUI mobile @300 pounds + 300 pound rider at 24 KPH hits 110 pound senior that wasn't agile enough to jump aside. Anyone want to calculate the force of the hit?

I'm 100% behind you but there is a better chance of getting the equivalent of a boater's card concept through. You pass a written test acknowledging the rules and can't play dumb. Tighten the screws a bit later.

DUI mobile @300 pounds + 300 pound rider at 24 KPH hits 110 pound senior that wasn't agile enough to jump aside. Anyone want to calculate the force of the hit?
Well, the rider that big should have some crumple zone so that lengthens the hit and reduces peak force (like a pillow fight instead of being hit by a bat).

Maybe for adult cyclists a written test.

None of these DUI mobiles fit the definition of "e-bike" we have a lack of enforcement problem combined with a idiot problem in Queen's Park.

Police routinely pass by people doing 60km/h on our streets and just keep driving along. Law already has a hard cap of 32km/h. Police should be made to stop them, ticket them and impound the DUI mobiles.

The law should have been clear "no throttle or other such device", as the intent was always pedal assist and the weight limit of the bike should have never been 120kg it should have been 25kg.

But if they want to keep them, knowing they are violating the intent and spirit of the law, then they should be made to play by the same rules as the law for what they are using them as.

None of these DUI mobiles fit the definition of "e-bike" we have a lack of enforcement problem combined with a idiot problem in Queen's Park.

Police routinely pass by people doing 60km/h on our streets and just keep driving along. Law already has a hard cap of 32km/h. Police should be made to stop them, ticket them and impound the DUI mobiles.

The law should have been clear "no throttle or other such device", as the intent was always pedal assist and the weight limit of the bike should have never been 120kg it should have been 25kg.

But if they want to keep them, knowing they are violating the intent and spirit of the law, then they should be made to play by the same rules as the law for what they are using them as.
I wouldn't be against a written test for pedestrians either.

I was at a red light the other day and the cross traffic van to the left of me was signaling to turn right. A pedestrian was on her phone and ready to walk but too engrossed in conversation to do so. The van driver was obviously afraid she would step out the minute he started to turn. Zombies.

A buddy up north has an 80 KPH e scooter. I've warned him.

I disagree. Imo, that should have been intent, but Wynnebag (or was it McGuinty) was clearly swayed by someone like Emmo as no pedal assist bike has every been remotely 120 kg. That was clearly an attempt to allow the DUI mobiles with high profit margin.

Back
Top Bottom