Any insight on electric scooters for adults? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any insight on electric scooters for adults?

There is a separate e-scooter pilot. I put the link above. Municipalities can make them legal. I dont know any that have.
I think Mississauga has OK'd them, se has Markham.

In Markham they follow the same rules as bicycles with respect to where you can ride them, and the provincial rules for safety (speed, helmets etc).

Enforcement is another issue. Like bicycles, e-scooters and e-bikes appear to have cloaking devices that automatically engage when police are present. I've seen ebikes and escooters in the HOV lane hit passing full speed traffic on highway 7.

Personally I`m all for bicycles, e-bikes, e-scooters however I think the rules ought to be relaxed and enforced. Specifically:
- speeds: they should both be allowed to travel at a reasonable speed when using roadways
- licensing: riders should have to be licensed. All road users should have to learn and prove knowledge of road safety and road use laws - I'd be happy if it was mandatory to pass a test similar to M1 for the privilege of using public roadways. That way (like G and M drivers) the privilege to could be revoked or suspended for bad behavior.
- insurance: all road users should be required to carry some basic insurance -- right now G and M licenses effectively cover insurance costs for buke and escooter road users. I know the arguments against this, I`d back down if riders were licensed.

I think Mississauga has OK'd them, se has Markham.

In Markham they follow the same rules as bicycles with respect to where you can ride them, and the provincial rules for safety (speed, helmets etc).

Enforcement is another issue. Like bicycles, e-scooters and e-bikes appear to have cloaking devices that automatically engage when police are present. I've seen ebikes and escooters in the HOV lane hit passing full speed traffic on highway 7.

Personally I`m all for bicycles, e-bikes, e-scooters however I think the rules ought to be relaxed and enforced. Specifically:
- speeds: they should both be allowed to travel at a reasonable speed when using roadways
- licensing: riders should have to be licensed. All road users should have to learn and prove knowledge of road safety and road use laws - I'd be happy if it was mandatory to pass a test similar to M1 for the privilege of using public roadways. That way (like G and M drivers) the privilege to could be revoked or suspended for bad behavior.
- insurance: all road users should be required to carry some basic insurance -- right now G and M licenses effectively cover insurance costs for buke and escooter road users. I know the arguments against this, I`d back down if riders were licensed.
I think insurance only works if it's part of the license. Pay $100 a year for your ebike/scooter plate that comes with 100k insurance, you are free to buy more. If it is free market insurance we all know it will be >$500 and ruin the viability of the e-vehicles.

I think insurance only works if it's part of the license. Pay $100 a year for your ebike/scooter plate that comes with 100k insurance, you are free to buy more. If it is free market insurance we all know it will be >$500 and ruin the viability of the e-vehicles.
I'm good with that. Maybe a sliding scale of $50/yr for a clean record +$100 for each offense your record. Kinda like the way car / bike ins works.

I’d buy one of those Ninebot models if they weren’t so damn expensive.

Zip down to the GO station, fold it, and down to Union I go. Open it up downtown and book it to the office.

I’d love one. Except the office is in Scarborough now and can’t make that trek on a scooter.

That's situation in Queensland ...liability insurance is included with your registration each year.

I'd think $100 per year reasonable but then the only way it works is with a scannable plate as they do here on motorcycles. You just get the bill in the mail an if you don't pay every cop car automatically scans for expired rego.
No place needed to visit anywhere, no stickers etc..
Harder for cops to scan as they would be on bike paths often as well but most are law abiding citizens right ?:coffee:

That's situation in Queensland ...liability insurance is included with your registration each year.

I'd think $100 per year reasonable but then the only way it works is with a scannable plate as they do here on motorcycles. You just get the bill in the mail an if you don't pay every cop car automatically scans for expired rego.
No place needed to visit anywhere, no stickers etc..
Harder for cops to scan as they would be on bike paths often as well but most are law abiding citizens right ?:coffee:
Yeah but here in Canada everything is free except if you own a conventional motor vehicle.

I've just started my morning coffee so the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.

IMO there should be two categories of these things whether they are e-bikes, pedelecs, e-scooters, hover boards or mobility scooters.

The categories are for the riders not the machines. ALL machines need plates for identification, even the toy stuff.

Owner category 1) The rider meets the conditions for a handicap plate. Their license is free (As are cars now) and they pay a pittance for insurance.

Owner category 2) Everyone else has a fixed amount of insurance. They pay a bit extra to cover the handicapped rider's insurance.

It the green heads really want to save the planet from thermal destruction they have to start looking further than the end of the power cord. Electricity comes from various sources, none 100% on-toxic.

Hydro electric power:

Basically waterfalls that are hard to build. Damming rivers works but when we screw up the environment that can fail as well. How's the Hoover Dam doing these days? How's the ecosystem in the lower Colorado River? The salmon in B.C.?

Gas fired generation: GAS and FIRE. Need I say more. Coal is worse but we in our convoluted English think natural gas is good for the environment. It isn't good. It's just not as bad as coal. Being NATURAL I assume it's organic and gluten free.

Solar and wind:

Pretty spotty and expensive. Your paycheck gets smaller every budget as you save for a house. Free dead birds at the bases of the towers to minimize your protein costs.

Nuclear:

China syndrome, Chernobyl, Three Mile Island. Oooh the bogeymen. The waste is hazardous for tens of thousands of years. So what? The human race will be extinct by then anyway.

If people really cared they would use their leg muscles for transportation. The health benefits would also help the medical budget.

Ever look into those electric unicycles? There's a guy that rides one in our neighborhood, wears a full face helmet and what looks like a motorcycle jacket...it looks pretty cool...not sure which make and model he has, however here's one I found...

Ever look into those electric unicycles? There's a guy that rides one in our neighborhood, wears a full face helmet and what looks like a motorcycle jacket...it looks pretty cool...not sure which make and model he has, however here's one I found...

Young guy in Milton pretty much invented the tech 14 years ago.

IIRC the kid that invented these was on Dragons Den and the dragons were fighting each other and who gives him the most money…

Yup….

I see kids on my street bombing on one of those things (NINEBOT?) all day long through the weekend.

Looks like fun except...

1. Kid doesn't check stop sign when he blows through it looking down. So anyone coming toward him and hits him...game over
2. 2-up with one kid and one older kid / adult. No helmets doing a solid 20-30kph on the street

This will not end well.

I see kids on my street bombing on one of those things (NINEBOT?) all day long through the weekend.

Looks like fun except...

1. Kid doesn't check stop sign when he blows through it looking down. So anyone coming toward him and hits him...game over
2. 2-up with one kid and one older kid / adult. No helmets doing a solid 20-30kph on the street

This will not end well.

Everything's fun until someone gets hurt.

Back
Top Bottom