Any insight on electric scooters for adults? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any insight on electric scooters for adults?

More of a useless toy for most people. Illegal in most public areas. If your driveway is long enough that it's fun, some other toy would be more fun.

They can run in the bike lanes, etc., no? Have seen them on occasion...or are they running illegally?

They can run in the bike lanes, etc., no? Have seen them on occasion...or are they running illegally?
Only legal if a municipality passes a bylaw to allow them. I dont know of any that have done that (not saying there arent any but they arent easy to find).

99% they were operating illegally. Not sure what the tickets would look like. Would they hand out no insurance, no helmet, improper license like a dodgy ebike? It is a motor vehicle operating on public property without authorization

Like all the other "e" vehicles running all over TO sidewalks and bike lanes...including full size ones? Guess it's fine until they decide to ticket. lol

Thought it wasn't considered a motor vehicle since it's electric and smallish?

Are you talking mobility devices.?
1649468789666.png
Was looking yesterday while we shopped for home hospital bed and shower commode for partners mum and some are pretty slick.
AFAIK they are legal where a bicycle or powered wheelchair is. and even in my fav colour.
1649468950474.png
With good pavement a 365 weather they are popular here in Cairns. Of course they are slow but with my flat feet I can see a use in a few years.
I'd likely opt for 4 wheel as more stable.

In Queensland, a user of a wheelchair or mobility scooter is considered a pedestrian meaning that they can go anywhere that a pedestrian can go.

Even though you do not require a drivers licence to use one of these devices this does not mean that you are void of any road rules or rules such as speed limits in shopping centres.

The rules are there for a reason, your safety and the safety of others.

You should use your scooter on the footpath, bicycle path, shared paths and nature strips (such as grass verges between the footpath and the road) whenever you can.

Can you use the road? Only if there is no footpath, pathway or nature strip and only where a pedestrian is allowed to walk. Use crossings, lights, refuge islands to cross the road safely.

If you do need to use the road try and stay as close as possible to the side of the road and travel in the opposite direction to the traffic so that you can see the oncoming traffic.

Failing to use a footpath, failure to keep to the side of the road or being a pedestrian and moving into the path of a driver can incur a $52 fine.

Does your electric wheelchair or mobility scooter need to be registered? Yes it does if:

• It has an electric motor;
  • Is designed and built for a person with mobility difficulties;
  • Have a tare weight of 150kg or less;
  • Not be capable of travelling more that 10km/h on level ground.
This type of registration does not mean that you can drive on the road in the same way as a car.
Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at Apr, 9    2022    11.54.48 AM.jpg
Devices that do not fit into this legal definition cannot be registered. For example, a device that can travel faster than 10km/h.

Even this

Last edited:
Are you talking mobility devices.?
View attachment 54355
Was looking yesterday while we shopped for home hospital bed and shower commode for partners mum and some are pretty slick.
AFAIK they are legal where a bicycle or powered wheelchair is. and even in my fav colour.
View attachment 54356
With good pavement a 365 weather they are popular here in Cairns. Of course they are slow but with my flat feet I can see a use in a few years.
I'd likely opt for 4 wheel as more stable.

View attachment 54357
Devices that do not fit into this legal definition cannot be registered. For example, a device that can travel faster than 10km/h.

Even this
I think he was talking more like razor/lime scooters. Small two wheeled things you stand on. Could actually be great people movers if humans werent such entitled *****.

These things were all over Spain when hubby and I went in 2019...they're very quiet and sneak up on you, especially from behind enough to scare you...people were using them on sidewalks IIRC...tons of mopeds and scooters on the road as well...

Felt gimmicky. Some of these e pedal bike things are over 1k, you can get a used motorcycle or a scooter

Mine isn’t gimmicky feeling. It’s pretty solid. It’s a model that is sold for the rental fleet usually so well engineered. Can’t remember the name but it was sold by Costco a while back. Pretty decent top speed and I got this one because of the range on it. I use it for zipping about the neighbourhood inbetween work gigs for some downtime. Heading off to the LCBO with a backpack to pick up provisions for ***** and giggles. Also for nipping downtown just because I can. I use it on the road or in bike lanes. Never been hassled by the fuzz. What I originally bought it for was for taking on road trips so I can park the car and not have to deal with parking downtown anywhere and do some exploring. Oh..and for going to work occasionally on it.

Tons around here and more everyday ...some insanely quick given our sedate and enforced traffic laws plus excellent bike lanes. Kids two up on them to and from school.

Do you wear any kind of protective gear?

I saw one size large 250 lb municipal worker pull up to the mall yesterday on one and casually throw it over his shoulder as he went in.....this was not a small flimsy one either. :oops:

Tons around here and more everyday ...some insanely quick given our sedate and enforced traffic laws plus excellent bike lanes. Kids two up on them to and from school.

Do you wear any kind of protective gear?

I saw one size large 250 lb municipal worker pull up to the mall yesterday on one and casually throw it over his shoulder as he went in.....this was not a small flimsy one either. :oops:

A bike helmet most times.

Only legal if a municipality passes a bylaw to allow them. I dont know of any that have done that (not saying there arent any but they arent easy to find).

99% they were operating illegally. Not sure what the tickets would look like. Would they hand out no insurance, no helmet, improper license like a dodgy ebike? It is a motor vehicle operating on public property without authorization

A buddy showed me his and it looked really nice, very well built ($3,000). Then he told me it would do 80 kph but he's only had it up to 50.

I pointed out that if a cop clocked him at over 24 kph and pulled him over the cop would want to see an M license, registration and insurance. No X three = $5,000+ in fines.

Enjoy it on your driveway or fit a governor.

Small front wheel + pothole = Face-plant.

Do the scoots even counter steer?

A buddy showed me his and it looked really nice, very well built ($3,000). Then he told me it would do 80 kph but he's only had it up to 50.

I pointed out that if a cop clocked him at over 24 kph and pulled him over the cop would want to see an M license, registration and insurance. No X three = $5,000+ in fines.

Enjoy it on your driveway or fit a governor.

Small front wheel + pothole = Face-plant.

Do the scoots even counter steer?
No point in a governor it doesn't have functional pedals it is a motorcycle in the eyes of the law. Right now cops just ignore them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

No point in a governor it doesn't have functional pedals it is a motorcycle in the eyes of the law. Right now cops just ignore them.

It was one of the kick scooters that one sees 10 year olds riding on a sidewalk.

Do hoverboards have restrictions?

It was one of the kick scooters that one sees 10 year olds riding on a sidewalk.

Do hoverboards have restrictions?
Yes they are all illegal and considered motor vehicle if powered unless they meet the ebike definition.

Yes they are all illegal and considered motor vehicle if powered unless they meet the ebike definition.

There is a separate e-scooter pilot. I put the link above. Municipalities can make them legal. I dont know any that have.

Back
Top Bottom