Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 305 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Home depot normally has spools and will sell it by the meter. Does it really need 10/3 for the charger? Neutral should have nothing to do in that application.
Not sure. I thought you'd need a ground, but I don't know **** about electricity. If I can find/get 10/2 and it works...I'm in.

Not sure. I thought you'd need a ground, but I don't know **** about electricity. If I can find/get 10/2 and it works...I'm in.
Normally it counts the current carrying conducters. 14/2 is white, black and ground. 14/3 is white, black, red and ground. I'm not normally buying a lot of 10 gauge so I could be wrong, but I assume it follows the same naming convention.

Direct to the charger (hardwired) or to a NEMA dryer or stove receptacle? If it is to a receptacle, if there is a neutral on the plug there best be a neutral wire even if it is not actually being used by the charger. If hardwired, run what is needed. The chargers also have some smarts and may reject an improper connection, my buddy's Leaf charger (at 120v) would not work on my old electrical as there was no ground (K&T)...

If you are going to put the effort in and you will be in the house for a while are you sure 30A is all you want in the future? Most I have seen are 8/3 to a NEMA 14-50R (Stove) outlet that you plug in the brick charger. My buddy actually ran 6/3 to his outdoor 14-50R because future cars will have bigger batteries and may take advantage of higher yet current to keep the charging times down, luckily his outlet is only a few feet from the panel cost wise. Future proofing....

Do you have a 240v welder or plan to have one.... if it this is to a plug it can also be used for that, size appropriately.

As for the wire, take some good measurements most big box sell it by the metre if they have it in stock. Measure twice, maybe more times, cut once....it sucks having dozen's of metres left over (paid too much) and it sucks even more to be 1m short! I probably have 15 or 20 feet of 8/3 coming out (old run to the stove) but sadly it is old 60°C NMSC.

Thanks @backmarkerducati I sent out a call to my buddies from university and turns out one just finished a major renovation and he has 30ft of 8/3 that I'll snap up for $40. We're actually meeting up tonight anyway so perfect timing.

I've also got about 30-40ft of 6/3 that we ran from the panel to the sub-panel we are planning on putting in. Was future proofing for the hot tub but other things came up and the cable is just hanging in the laundry. We don't want to use the 6/3 as it's a pain in the ass to bend and is good for up to 60A...but it's there if ever needed.

I'm still debating installing the charger inside the garage and running the coiled cord under the garage door, or just installing the coiled cord outside and running a cable through the wall.

I do have a 220V welder and will include a plug for that at the same time.

Thanks @backmarkerducati I sent out a call to my buddies from university and turns out one just finished a major renovation and he has 30ft of 8/3 that I'll snap up for $40. We're actually meeting up tonight anyway so perfect timing.

I've also got about 30-40ft of 6/3 that we ran from the panel to the sub-panel we are planning on putting in. Was future proofing for the hot tub but other things came up and the cable is just hanging in the laundry. We don't want to use the 6/3 as it's a pain in the ass to bend and is good for up to 60A...but it's there if ever needed.

I'm still debating installing the charger inside the garage and running the coiled cord under the garage door, or just installing the coiled cord outside and running a cable through the wall.

I do have a 220V welder and will include a plug for that at the same time.

I'd snap that wire up as fast as you can. wire prices are crazy right now.

I spent over a grand for 2x 75m rolls of 8/3 nmd

I'd snap that wire up as fast as you can. wire prices are crazy right now.

I spent over a grand for 2x 75m rolls of 8/3 nmd
Wow.

I needed some 4/0 for a friend and wholesale was over $10 a foot.

I've got spools of 12 ga thhn in the garage as stock for future projects. If price keeps going crazy, I may sell it as an investment.

Running a neutral isn’t necessary for an EVSE/charger, but it adds some future proofing potentially.

Myself I ran 12/2 (I think it was 12, I’d have to check) which is code for a 20A 240 circuit with a constant 16A draw, and then I just bought a 16A EVSE instead of a 32A. The Volt only charges at 16A anyways, and even though the Ioniq (while we owned it) could charge at 32, even at 16 it was still a <8 hours full charge. Basically, take the normal empty to full charge time listed and double it. Still perfectly workable for anything less than an empty 80-100kwh vehicle.

Worked for us, and it was waaaaaay less expensive for both the actual wire as well as as code requirements - installing 2 32A EVSE’s wouldn’t work for us with the house only having 100A service, code would have required us to upgrade the entire panel to 200a.

Running a neutral isn’t necessary for an EVSE/charger, but it adds some future proofing potentially.

Myself I ran 12/2 (I think it was 12, I’d have to check) which is code for a 20A 240 circuit with a constant 16A draw, and then I just bought a 16A EVSE instead of a 32A. The Volt only charges at 16A anyways, and even though the Ioniq (while we owned it) could charge at 32, even at 16 it was still a <8 hours full charge. Basically, take the normal empty to full charge time listed and double it. Still perfectly workable for anything less than an empty 80-100kwh vehicle.

Worked for us, and it was waaaaaay less expensive for both the actual wire as well as as code requirements - installing 2 32A EVSE’s wouldn’t work for us with the house only having 100A service, code would have required us to upgrade the entire panel to 200a.
A friend just added a 60A swim spa and 40A hot tub to his 100A service. Thankfully he has 200 at the meter base so the impending upgrade to 200A is annoying but not punishingly expensive.

My hybrid only got 660 km this tank with 17" winter tires

Kind of happy I didn't buy that base model Tesla Model 3

So, back from the first big tow with the Gen2. Silent Lake provincial park for what was supposed to be 2 nights, but ended up getting truncated to one night because of tomorrows impending snow. Just didn't want to get the trailer covered in salt and slop honestly and then have to go haul it out of the storage yard again to take it for a wash...and it looks like the roads may end up being kinda sloppy and crappy all week. And towing home in the snow wouldn't be super awesome either.

Anyhow, we left the park with a full battery after charging up there of course. Ran in Hold mode for a portion of the trip, and used the battery until depleted in chunks on the way home. Drafted our friends pulling a much boxier Jay Feather camper. Adaptive cruise control FTW - sooooo glad I held out and found a Volt with this option - I loooooove it!

towhome.jpg

Arrived home with an epic 8.8L/100KM for the return trip.

Trip up was 14.7L/100KM which I thought was damn respectable on it's own, especially for having the snow tires on. But bucked a headwind for a good portion of the trip north plus didn't have anything worth drafting.

The more powerful powertrain on the Gen2 is certainly much more capable for towing, no question.

1638070172025.jpeg

Sure was nice there, wish we could have stayed. Tossed around the idea of staying tonight and leaving early tomorrow morning to beat the snow home, but it would have meant getting up at 6AM. Our friends were leaving anyways (he was on call because of the snow and expects to get a call around 7AM himself with 30 minutes to report) so it would have just been us hunkered down in the trailer for the night. We called it instead and hit the road around 7PM.

Shush, you will get all the haters here riled up..

Volt is the way forward.
Oh I’m no hater but my friend is also not blind to the quality issues. He’s had the car a year and has had about 8 visits from Tesla to adjust the gaps.

Outside of that no major issues.

But so much tech…that stuff can’t last.

For example the screen shows the airflow from the vents and you can pinch (like zoom in/out) and it will change the directional flow of the air from the vents.

Also the autopilot jammed the brakes on us hard when we came into a turn on the 401 with jersey barriers on the side…that was messed up and got the heart rate pumping. It’s great on straight roads but tight spots…no thanks.

Accelerates like a mofo, and regen is insane.

At a dealer in Kitchener.
I wish I bought a premiere when I was looking. But LT was the only one around. Lots more tech and comfort inside (leather v cloth for instance).

My Lt has leather I couldn't justify the extra 10 grand for a premiere

Sent using a thumb maybe 2
Didn't know it was an option, but I guess I can't put those in now.

I've got the manual seats, and while I don't really mind that...I wouldn't mind having the premium sound system.

Ah well...too late now.

Back
Top Bottom