Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 307 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

If a good deal why not you will get a new battery next year and can live with the 80% software limit until then
The big question for me is supply chain. GM will much rather be using their limited supplies to finish new vehicles than to complete a recall on old ones. If NHTSA is happy with 80% as an interim measure, I expect it will keep getting punted due to supply constraints. The longer GM delays, the more vehicles get in crashes/fires and don't need the recall.

If a good deal why not you will get a new battery next year and can live with the 80% software limit until then
My buddy just bought a used Kona EV with about 50k or so on the clock.

Cue 2 months later and Hyundai/KIA calls him up to say 'hey, there's a brand new battery here with your name on it at the dealership. See you in a week.'

Brand new battery + 10 years of battery warranty (maybe 8, can't remember).

My buddy just bought a used Kona EV with about 50k or so on the clock.

Cue 2 months later and Hyundai/KIA calls him up to say 'hey, there's a brand new battery here with your name on it at the dealership. See you in a week.'

Brand new battery + 10 years of battery warranty (maybe 8, can't remember).

How did he get a battery?

Did it fail? I doubt the dealership will give me a warranty repair for 80% capacity...
GM says they will replace the batteries. Dealer won't have any in stock, the only way they get them will be if GM ships them one (and I suspect that won't happen without a VIN it is being installed in). The question is how helpful or obstinate is GM going to be with the replacement program? Is 80% range a real problem or perceived problem for you? In your case, the tax on all of these vehicle swaps probably exceeds my car payments. The lowest tco vehicle is almost always the one you already have (as in swap costs a lot and new vehicle has unknown issues where you are familiar with issues in current car).

There is a Chevy Bolt Premier?? at Heffner in Kitchener... It has almost 80k though

Any thoughts?

Ya. If you want a Bolt that bad, park it at least 50 feet from other cars or your house, and for heaven's sakes don't park it in a garage. That's the official statement by GM to Bolt owners after a plague of their batteries spontaneously bursting on fire. Oh, BTW the list price has dropped on these EVs $8K. There may be a reason they were named bolt, and that is, bolt when you see one.

Ya. If you want a Bolt that bad, park it at least 50 feet from other cars or your house, and for heaven's sakes don't park it in a garage. That's the official statement by GM to Bolt owners after a plague of their batteries spontaneously bursting on fire. Oh, BTW the list price has dropped on these EVs $8K. There may be a reason they were named bolt, and that is, bolt when you see one.
The upside to renting is it's not his house getting burned down :/ Although if his car is there, presumably he is too and being involved in a structure fire would not be fun.

I think I'd be comfortable buying a Bolt nowadays. I'm not going to as 3 cars in less than a year is stupid and I'd lose my shirt no matter what the number say. The expectation is you'll get a new battery anyway...just a matter of time.

Plus, what other vehicle is Chevy selling that is taking up battery allocations for their brand new models? Pacifica? Bolts?

IMO I'd much rather focus on not having customers have their houses burned down (instructions or not) and going after GM for liability.

I think I'd be comfortable buying a Bolt nowadays. I'm not going to as 3 cars in less than a year is stupid and I'd lose my shirt no matter what the number say. The expectation is you'll get a new battery anyway...just a matter of time.

Plus, what other vehicle is Chevy selling that is taking up battery allocations for their brand new models? Pacifica? Bolts?

IMO I'd much rather focus on not having customers have their houses burned down (instructions or not) and going after GM for liability.
You give them more credit than I do. I think if you went to court, they would present all the times you were told to keep it parked outside more than 50' from your house and you'd have a hard time winning.

You give them more credit than I do. I think if you went to court, they would present all the times you were told to keep it parked outside more than 50' from your house and you'd have a hard time winning.
Possibly...but litigation is very expensive no matter what the outcome is. The lawyers to fight me will be more than a new battery pack/car.

But you're right...they can drag it on. I'm sure there will be (if not already) a class action about this.

I'm seeing Bolts in the 30-45k range...that means I'd probably have to pay >10k in order to swap...no thanks. Don't drive enough to justify that level of fuel 'savings'.

Possibly...but litigation is very expensive no matter what the outcome is. The lawyers to fight me will be more than a new battery pack/car.

But you're right...they can drag it on. I'm sure there will be (if not already) a class action about this.

I'm seeing Bolts in the 30-45k range...that means I'd probably have to pay >10k in order to swap...no thanks. Don't drive enough to justify that level of fuel 'savings'.
They have floors of lawyers on staff to fight lemon law claims which have clearly defined criteria in law. If they were decent corporate citizens they would acknowledge that all check boxes were filled and very little lawyering would be required but they fight every one.

OK just found out that it looks like our new Scarborough office has free chargers in the underground parking...think I'm going to sign up for that. $80/month.

Effectively will be able to go to/from office on only EV in theory...except to warm up the inside on the coldest days.

OK just found out that it looks like our new Scarborough office has free chargers in the underground parking...think I'm going to sign up for that. $80/month.

Effectively will be able to go to/from office on only EV in theory...except to warm up the inside on the coldest days.
free chargers? $80/month?

what am i missing.

Back
Top Bottom