Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 241 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Check out what3words. It's an app where the makers have put a 3m x 3m grid over the entire surface of the earth and each 3m squared section is assigned a 3 word address to exactly pinpoint where that location is.

It's going to be added to forthcoming GPS systems and will be essential for accurate drone delivery and autonomous driving where the drone/car needs to know EXACTLY where to drop off the package or pick up the passenger.

I can see that being added to the arsenal of tools of autonomous cars 1 day, especially after 5G.
What 3 words is good for general location not driving. Even in brampton most drivers are better then aiming for some location within a 100 sq ft box. You need at least an order of magnitude improvement for driving. Besides, what 3 words is just a simple way for humans to provide GPS coordinates, it is less precise and has the inherent accuracy issues. Computers happily work with the more precise numerical long/lat. That's why I suggested the sign/pole database. Currently most use lines for micro location which is great if you can see them but as we know, there is a significant percentage of the year where this is unreliable at best.

None of them are up to the task yet, but Waymo's 360° LIDAR is magnitudes better than Tesla's camera/radar system.

The video that Sunny doesn't want you to see.

You gots Cheetah Mode? Whatever. See ya.

Lockdown = not much to do = time for a thought experiment. I have the first business trip in more than a year coming up - Ottawa. And I ain't flying until covid is done with. Let's pretend for a moment that I were to do this in the EV that I'm most likely to buy - a 2020-on Chevrolet Bolt, which has slightly more battery capacity than the original, 66 kWh, and slightly faster charging rate, 55 kW, and it accepts more charge before the charging rate starts ramping down. Minor digging suggests that if you want to make best progress on a road trip, it's best to charge it to around 65% to stay below the threshold where the charging rate starts ramping down. A slight disadvantage of this particular model compared to some newer designs is that it doesn't charge as fast - Hyundai Kona EV 64kWh claims 100kW charging although it appears that it won't actually do that except under the most ideal possible conditions. Nevertheless, let's see what happens.

www.plugshare.com

entered some info, got it to display only CCS fast-charging stations that have a capacity of more than 50 kW and that are in service (not under repair or under construction). and then "Trip Planner" ... start address at my place near Georgetown ... end address at my customer's site in Ottawa. Conveniently, Google Maps shows that there is a ChargePoint EV charging station on Hunt Club not far away.

It's 439 km door to door. Theoretically it's within the capability of the car to go the distance based on the officially rated range. But I don't believe it. I'm going to take an educated guess that the car uses 17 kWh per 100 km based on numbers observed on youtube videos and elsewhere, and thus will do about 380 km.

Via the Highway 7 route, there's a FLO charging station in Norwood beside the grocery store that supposedly requires their app in order to use it, $15 per hour. It's 188 km to get there, so starting off with a full charge, it should have about 30 kWh left, about 45% state of charge. Getting to the destination from there is 251 km, which would need about 42 kWh to do (plus something "just in case"). Charging up at that station for 20 minutes ($5) would add about 18 kWh at 55 kW, bringing it to 48 kW, 73% state of charge, and that would be enough to get to my destination where I could charge it up right next door.

Suppose I didn't want to charge there or it didn't work. Right now, there's a dearth of charging stations along the Highway 7 route from there until Carleton Place, 378 km from my door. Theoretically it would be at 3% state of charge, and that station shows only 1 active (and 1 broken) ... too close to call. Not ideal. (This wouldn't be my first choice of route anyhow.)

Via the 401/416 route, which is longer (475 km) there are many more choices. There's a PetroCan in Cobourg, and I know where that one is - lots of places to eat nearby. But it's only 148 km from home. There's a whole bunch in Kingston, including one at a PetroCan (N.B. the PetroCan ones have 350 kW capacity ... not that the Bolt would be able to use it ... a Porsche Taycan could, but that's out of my budget). Likewise, lots of places to eat nearby, and it's a few hours down the road. "Add to Trip" - it reroutes the map.

It's 287 km from home to the Kingston PetroCan. Theoretically it would arrive with 17 kWh still in the battery, 26% state of charge. That's good, lots of margin, and even if the car were thirstier for whatever reason, there's lots of other choices to charge before that. It's 189 km from there to the destination (this would use 32 kWh, just below 50% state of charge needed) - charging it to 65% (43 kWh in the battery) would give decent margin for getting there, and adding 26 kWh should take around half an hour and cost $10. Given that this would also be a lunch stop ... that works fine.

Let's assume that the hotel doesn't have overnight charging, and I have to use the ChargePoint station near my customer. Interestingly, PlugShare doesn't show that one. Be that as it may, there's another one at a Canadian Tire not far away. Let's suppose I take it from 11 kWh in the battery to 43 kWh (65%) there ... 32 kWh ... about 35 minutes ... cost $9.40.

I could go from there to the exact same Kingston PetroCan because it's the same distance starting from the same state of charge, the other direction. Charging it from 11 kWh to 43 kWh there would take about 35 minutes and cost $12. The car would need a "splash" at some other station (theoretically 6 kWh, ~ 10 minutes, $3) to get home comfortably from there, but there's lots of choices, e.g. Cobourg.

Hmmm ... This would have involved spending about $35 at charging stations plus whatever the home charge costs (8.5 cents per kWh x 66 = $5.61), so call it $40. Most of the stops would coincide with meal or coffee breaks anyhow. If the car could be plugged in overnight at the hotel, or at my customer's site, that would trim some of that off even further.

This is doable. Driving 950 km in my current gasoline engine car (Fiat 500) would use around 60 litres of fuel which would be $65-$70. Obviously relying on fast-chargers costs more than charging up at home, but it's still less than feeding even a small gas-engine car.

The Windsor run isn't as far but it's a bit more of a nuisance ... there's a big hole in the charging network between London and Tilbury, and the Tilbury one is at a Canadian Tire where unless you happen to need to do a Canadian Tire shopping run, there's nothing to do but sit there, and if that station doesn't work or is occupied you had better be able to go another 60 km. There are a few other stations in the Windsor area, but they're not near where I usually need to go. Doable ... just annoying. I'm sure someone will add another charging station somewhere in that void. (Or maybe there already is one, but it doesn't show up on PlugShare)

That’s a good analysis @Brian P it actually makes me want to consider the BOLT even more now. The furthest I would drive one is maybe Algonquin a park where my buddys cottage is and can park the 110V there all weekend once restrictions allow. Cottage run from home to Wasaga is 142km on the dot via 403/400 so doing 300km should be a non issue. Problems start arising when I need to make a detour from that trip and won’t go there for the night. Once dealers open up I’m gonna go test drive one. Maybe someone will offer me a stupid amount, good stupid, for my car.

That’s a good analysis @Brian P it actually makes me want to consider the BOLT even more now. The furthest I would drive one is maybe Algonquin a park where my buddys cottage is and can park the 110V there all weekend once restrictions allow. Cottage run from home to Wasaga is 142km on the dot via 403/400 so doing 300km should be a non issue. Problems start arising when I need to make a detour from that trip and won’t go there for the night. Once dealers open up I’m gonna go test drive one. Maybe someone will offer me a stupid amount, good stupid, for my car.
Dealers should be open since they repair vehicles, essential service.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

They may be open but whether one wants to play along with a test drive on a bolt is another question. I know earlier in the pandemic some were basically selling you the car and giving you 24 hours to return and cancel as there were security and cleaning issues with test drives.

Algonquin is in the middle of a charging-station void. There's a fast-charger at the Huntsville Harveys/Swiss Chalet on the west, and at Sobey's in Gravenhurst. But the whole area around Bancroft - Haliburton - Barry's Bay is devoid of them, for now.

The Bolt comes with a J1772 charger with a 110v plug. You can select either 8 amps (1 kW) or 12 amps (1.5 kW) charging rate from inside the car. BUT ... I found out ... That charger is actually a 110/220 device. If you obtain an adapter from a 220v NEMA 14-30P plug to a 110v receptacle - you might have to do this in two steps! - such that you can plug the car's 110V charger plug into 220V and set it at 12 amps in the car ... you can charge it at 3 kW from a 220V stove/dryer plug ... no mods to the charger are required. This would cut the time for a full charge down to less than a day, even starting from completely empty.

You'll need something that lets you plug a normal 110V plug into a 220V receptacle, something which normally you are not supposed to be able to do ... looks like the best thing to do is buy the parts for a NEMA 14-30P plug and a 110V receptacle at Home Depot and wire it up yourself with a short pigtail connector.

110v receptacle that you are going to hot-wire to 220V: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/leviton-pvc-connector-3-wire-yellow/1000105465

NEMA 14-30P plug: Leviton 30/50 Amp 3-Pole Angle Plug NEMA 14-30P/14-50P, Black-R50-00275-00T - The Home Depot

If your cottage has a normal single phase distribution panel, it's easy to put in a 220V outlet if you don't have one. And you're only going to be pulling 12 amps ... it should be within the capacity of practically any single-phase service.

Edit to add mandatory disclaimer: If you are going to do this, make sure that anything you plug into your cheater 220V plug has something like "AC 100-250V 50-60 Hz" on the nameplate. Read the nameplate. Otherwise ... go boom and smoke come out and smell funny and no workie no more. Maybe fire.

Last edited:

I was under the impression it was service only, but will check it out.
Before I bought my current car dealership would require you to buy the car, drive and then good luck in your attempt if you don’t like it.
Like @GreyGhost says, I’m not buying a car without a proper test drive.

EDIT: thanks @Brian P i forgot about the L1/L2 capabilities of the Gen2 Volt and Bolt chargers. When I sold my Gen1 I kept my L2 charger just in case. Haven’t wired it as there’s no need, but it’s here and able to be connected.

Algonquin is in the middle of a charging-station void. There's a fast-charger at the Huntsville Harveys/Swiss Chalet on the west, and at Sobey's in Gravenhurst. But the whole area around Bancroft - Haliburton - Barry's Bay is devoid of them, for now.

The Bolt comes with a J1772 charger with a 110v plug. You can select either 8 amps (1 kW) or 12 amps (1.5 kW) charging rate from inside the car. BUT ... I found out ... That charger is actually a 110/220 device. If you obtain an adapter from a 220v NEMA 14-30P plug to a 110v receptacle - you might have to do this in two steps! - such that you can plug the car's 110V charger plug into 220V and set it at 12 amps in the car ... you can charge it at 3 kW from a 220V stove/dryer plug ... no mods to the charger are required. This would cut the time for a full charge down to less than a day, even starting from completely empty.

You'll need something that lets you plug a normal 110V plug into a 220V receptacle, something which normally you are not supposed to be able to do ... looks like the best thing to do is buy the parts for a NEMA 14-30P plug and a 110V receptacle at Home Depot and wire it up yourself with a short pigtail connector.

110v receptacle that you are going to hot-wire to 220V: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/leviton-pvc-connector-3-wire-yellow/1000105465

NEMA 14-30P plug: Leviton 30/50 Amp 3-Pole Angle Plug NEMA 14-30P/14-50P, Black-R50-00275-00T - The Home Depot

If your cottage has a normal single phase distribution panel, it's easy to put in a 220V outlet if you don't have one. And you're only going to be pulling 12 amps ... it should be within the capacity of practically any single-phase service.
Actually on 220 you don't select the charging rate it defaults to 15a

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

.. I found out ... That charger is actually a 110/220 device. If you obtain an adapter from a 220v NEMA 14-30P plug to a 110v receptacle

I had one of those chargers (A Clipper Creek) and did exactly that with it for about a year when we got our first Volt. It does indeed work exactly as advertised albeit at a slightly lower rate @ 240, 2.8kw (or something like that) vs ~3kw on a normal L1.5 like we now have - the unit draws 15a instead of 16a on a standard L1.5 like the Duosida units which we now have 2 of.

I forget exactly what the amount is, but it's slightly less - it only added another 15 or 20 minutes to the 240v charge time on our Volts, I remember that much.

It's a good tweak and would indeed allow you to charge a Bolt much faster, albeit still 16 hours vs a true 32a L2 at 8.5-9 hours. Still way faster than the 30+hours from dead at 120v. And not bad for "free" given it's an undocumented feature of the Clipper Creek units.

I only sold ours because I bought a matching set of Duosida EVSE's and being a bit of a weirdo with symmetry it would have bothered me if one charger handle hanging on the wall was different than the other LOL.

I had one of those chargers (A Clipper Creek) and did exactly that with it for about a year when we got our first Volt. It does indeed work exactly as advertised albeit at a slightly lower rate @ 240, 2.8kw (or something like that) vs ~3kw on a normal L1.5 like we now have - the unit draws 15a instead of 16a on a standard L1.5 like the Duosida units which we now have 2 of.

I forget exactly what the amount is, but it's slightly less - it only added another 15 or 20 minutes to the 240v charge time on our Volts, I remember that much.

It's a good tweak and would indeed allow you to charge a Bolt much faster, albeit still 16 hours vs a true 32a L2 at 8.5-9 hours. Still way faster than the 30+hours from dead at 120v. And not bad for "free" given it's an undocumented feature of the Clipper Creek units.

I only sold ours because I bought a matching set of Duosida EVSE's and being a bit of a weirdo with symmetry it would have bothered me if one charger handle hanging on the wall was different than the other LOL.
I have a duosida as a spare the original that came with the car hangs on the fence by the driveway has been there since 2017 no issues. Plugged into a custom 12 guage cord I made that is plugged into a 15a 220 volt plug in, outside the garage.

I have a duosida as a spare the original that came with the car hangs on the fence by the driveway has been there since 2017 no issues. Plugged into a custom 12 guage cord I made that is plugged into a 15a 220 volt plug in, outside the garage.

I bought my unit for a stupidly low price because it was dead. Having researched it to death I knew they were prone to failing, so I picked it up cheap, had a new 30A (or 25A - can't remember) installed and have never had an issue with it again. So I'm limited to whatever the fuse is...but still an L2 that worked like a charm for 2 years.

My ONLY gripe with the unit is that stupid coiled cord. Such a pain in the ass to put underneath the garage door. If I could (or knew how to) I'd switch it over to a normal straight cord. New project I guess.

Back
Top Bottom