Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 243 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Yes, but he does bring up some valid points and seems like a decent guy. He is in fanboy territory not completely off the reservation crazy.
i don't agree

fanboy people are obsessive
delusional people hold beliefs that are contradicted by reality or rational argument

I still intend for my next daily-driver to be an EV. It's still highly likely to be GM or VW. I don't need 1000 horsepower in a daily-driver. It doesn't need to get to 100 km/h in 2 seconds. Even if I were to buy a Bolt (which is the current most likely candidate), it would still be the fastest-accelerating 4-wheeled contraption that I've ever owned. And I'm pretty sure the bumpers will stay attached.
I look at it the same way however I'd like my daily driver to be comfortably large to huge. If you have ever driven a decent big car, pickup or or SUV as a daily, you may know the comfort, utility and peace of mind provided by size.

My daily driving is well under 100km round trip, my 2006 pickup has 130K in 15 years. If I had a 200km range that would do me 99.9% of the time.

For me, the only economical argument is on a big vehicle. Moving from a n ICE that uses 6l/100km in gas to a similar sized electric doesn't make economic sense when you roll 15K/year.

I look at it the same way however I'd like my daily driver to be comfortably large to huge. If you have ever driven a decent big car, pickup or or SUV as a daily, you may know the comfort, utility and peace of mind provided by size.

My daily driving is well under 100km round trip, my 2006 pickup has 130K in 15 years. If I had a 200km range that would do me 99.9% of the time.

For me, the only economical argument is on a big vehicle. Moving from a n ICE that uses 6l/100km in gas to a similar sized electric doesn't make economic sense when you roll 15K/year.
The upside to EV's is the weight is more commensurate with your huge vehicle even if the footprint looks small. That can give you the ride you want but obviously not the height or legroom.

But the market has spoken....
Yes, the market bought the only thing available in its class. Until Taycan there was no competition in the premium EV class. Taycan hasn't been out long enough to make any comments. Most other manufacturers are chasing the cheap/mass-market category (which is admittedly a tough category, even more-so when you are trying to get EV's in it that compete with much cheaper ICE).

i don't agree

fanboy people are obsessive
delusional people hold beliefs that are contradicted by reality or rational argument

I've been a apart of this thread since it's beginning going on almost 4 years now.

Most people on this thread didn't even know what a Tesla or electric car was.

If you read post 2 I've been talking about Tesla long before they were where they are today. The highest valued automotive company in the world.

That's not delusion. It's called ability to see a great company as a rising star.

If you want to call it delusional or fanboyism, so be it.

I call myself a car enthusiast and call it as I see it.

Last edited:
I've been a apart of this thread since it's beginning going on almost 4 years now.

If you read post 2 I've been talking about tesla long before they were where they are today. The highest valued automotive company in the world.

That's not delusion. It's called ability to see a great company with a rising star.

Oh no, that is clearly delusion. By that logic, Gamestop is a very valuable company that is poised to dominate the entertainment market.

Yes, the market bought the only thing available in its class. Until Taycan there was no competition in the premium EV class. Taycan hasn't been out long enough to make any comments.

And it's great isn't it? I'm frankly surprised it took this long for other makers to respond.

If you read post 2 I've been talking about tesla long before they were where they are today. The highest valued automotive company in the world.

That's not delusion. It's called ability to see a great company with a rising star.

I rest my case your honor. ?‍⚖️

I keep kicking myself for not buying Tesla when it was Motortrend's 2013 Car of the Year.

I also predicted the Volt was nothing special despite the "fanboydem" on this thread. GM canceled it with no successor. Was it really that great? Did the market respond?

You can dig back the pages back and see for your self.

Last edited:
I also predicted the volt was a poor effort. And GM canceled it with no successor

Is this the part where I tell you how impressed I am?

Stock market valuation on fanboy driven stocks means absolutely nothing. Like literally zero. They are completely detached from real valuation. It is interesting to watch but has no meaning.
LoL....reddit /wsb also had a big part in screwing over the short sellers for TSLA stock. It's one of their darlings.

This week is a perfect example of the 'reality' of the stock market....it's an illusion.

I also predicted the Volt was nothing special despite the "fanboydem" on this thread. GM canceled it with no successor. Was it really that great? Did the market respond?

I liked my Volt. Was it the best? Nope. Was it the fastest? Nope best range? Nope

BUT....it was under 20k used, I spent 2 years with it and only put in 500L of had (cottage and back only) and it served its purpose well.

I miss it. Would buy again.

I liked my Volt. Was it the best? Nope. Was it the fastest? Nope best range? Nope

BUT....it was under 20k used, I spent 2 years with it and only put in 500L of had (cottage and back only) and it served its purpose well.

I miss it. Would buy again.

No doubt the Volt was right for some.

But the "market" quickly realized that a Civic, the best selling car for many years was about half the cost of a Volt. Where's the value for the mass market in the Chevy? ZERO.

Plug in hybrid electrics are doomed. Tesla never introduced one. GM canceled it.

Last edited:
No doubt the Volt was right for some.

But the market quickly realized that a Civic, the best selling car for many years was about half the cost of a Volt. Where's the value for the mass market in the GM? ZERO.

Plug in electrics are doomed. Tesla never introduced one. GM canceled it.
Yup I’ll agree. The civic was around 13-15k and the volt I paid for was $18 all in. I think I saved about 2-3k in gas over that timeframe. So financially it was not the best decision for me. I traded in a Civic Si for it.

just like now I’d like a Volt or Bolt but when I go and try to trade it in, I’m not looking forward to seeing that number. Most likely won’t change cars but I’ll look into it.

Right now, with most manufacturers' battery packs, it is at least theoretically possible to open them and replace segments of them, if not individual cells, and it is certainly possible to unbolt the entire battery assembly from the vehicle and install it as a complete unit in a different vehicle. (For example, a car that's crashed and written-off but the battery pack remains intact, could donate its battery pack to another car that has a bad battery pack out of warranty.)

If I still own my Volt when the battery finally dies (as seems possible, looks like I'm going to keep it for a bunch more years at this point) this is exactly what I plan to do - snatch a scrapyard battery from a 2015 and stuff her in there. Reprogram the ECM with the new batteries details and the 2011 even knows how to manage the bigger battery and use the increased capacity.

I've looked a few times out of curiosity and have seen perfectly good battery packs for Volts for as little as 1K. Apparently they are a fairly popular in the off grid community as even after they're no longer serviceable in a car the individual banks from the battery are amazing for use in powering a backwoods cabin from solar, backup power for homes, etc.

Oh no, that is clearly delusion. By that logic, Gamestop is a very valuable company that is poised to dominate the entertainment market.

I'm presuming I know who you're all talking to. I see nothing has changed. Still on my blocklist. The thread is a lot more enjoyable now.

Back
Top Bottom