Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 240 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

If you’re there more then 24 hours even a regular old L1 should get you back to more than enough to get home again. 48 hours? You should be fully charged.

I wouldn’t buy one without the DCFC option though for long trips. Having DCFC on our Ioniq is a game changer especially given its medium range to begin with.

I've seen a couple of those Taycan's and they sure have presence on the road - great proportions; real good looking cars!

This, or a Model S? Well, the body panels all line up, for starters.

the panels will line up for sure, but its doors will get blown off....... it only does 0 to 60 in a porsche claimed 5.1 seconds.

This, or a Model S? Well, the body panels all line up, for starters.

But does it have the roof quick release feature.

the panels will line up for sure, but its doors will get blown off....... it only does 0 to 60 in a porsche claimed 5.1 seconds.
Why does it need to be faster?

Why does it need to be faster?
That raises an interesting point. As more and more vehicles are getting ridiculous 0-60 times, I expect that there will start to be more catastrophic "low speed" crashes in parking lots, at intersections, etc. where the driver screws up and launches into obstacles. With slower vehicles, the driver has time to recover. Unlike top speed which is an interesting metric, but very rarely accessible, acceleration can always bite you (and the people around you). After a few people get smoked, I wouldn't be surprised if gov't cracks down on allowable acceleration from the manufacturer on licensed vehicles. I'm not saying this is a good plan, I just expect it will happen. Although, I also expected government to crack down on beta testing self-driving on public roads which isn't happening either so who knows.

If govt hasn’t stepped in to stop cars from being built with 700hp I highly doubt they’ll do anything to prevent lower acceleration times.
While I agree it’s ridiculous to have 4-5s 0-60mph times on the street, I don’t see Govt interfering. They haven’t touched motorcycles and you can still buy a 1000cc or higher on an M1.

If govt hasn’t stepped in to stop cars from being built with 700hp I highly doubt they’ll do anything to prevent lower acceleration times.
While I agree it’s ridiculous to have 4-5s 0-60mph times on the street, I don’t see Govt interfering. They haven’t touched motorcycles and you can still buy a 1000cc or higher on an M1.
4 or 5 seconds is a long way from the low 2's they are getting now.

4 or 5 seconds is a long way from the low 2's they are getting now.
Agreed. But I’ll stick to my point that govt won’t step in.

EDIT: once the restrictions lift my buddy with the Y and I have a car date. I’ll drive his Y and he drives my WRX. I can’t wait to try that thing out.

Last edited:

Some people like Kraft Dinner because you can make it in 10 minutes, too.

It's a Porsche no? It's a "performance" car no?

When a mere plebian Honda Accord can do 5.5 seconds to 60 surely it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect sub 4 second times for my 80+ grand.

I've never owned a street bike over 400cc. Keeping up with SS and litre bikes on group rides was never a problem in the parts of the ride that mattered. Your spec-centric outlook on cars will be lost on the in the parts of the ride that mattered part of that sentence (I'll spell it out for you - the twisty, fun bits). As you can see below, the P100D can't touch the Taycan in a slalom test (the twisty, fun bits).

It's a Porsche no? It's a "performance" car no? When a mere plebian Honda Accord can do 5.5 seconds to 60 surely it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect sub 4 second times for my 80+ grand.

we can agree to disagree.
2nd gen model. Slightly less fit and finish problems.

With a whole bunch of new problems. Was too lazy to post it but apparently there is excessive heat buildup in the drivers footwell.

A year in and already better than "Autopilot".

I'm skeptical of both approaches. To perhaps oversimplify intentionally to show a point, Waymo is developing a system that works well in Phoenix (desert, consistent environmental conditions, not all that congested) but nowhere else, and Tesla is developing a system that works halfarse in most places. Both have a looooong way to go, and I have my doubts that any of them will do anything other than complain "Error: Not allowed" if covered in snow.

I'm skeptical of both approaches. To perhaps oversimplify intentionally to show a point, Waymo is developing a system that works well in Phoenix (desert, consistent environmental conditions, not all that congested) but nowhere else, and Tesla is developing a system that works halfarse in most places. Both have a looooong way to go, and I have my doubts that any of them will do anything other than complain "Error: Not allowed" if covered in snow.
For most reasonably well travelled routes, a combination of differential GPS and database of fixed objects above the road could eventually work as long as there is not a whiteout or fog. The gps gives macro position while the database of fixed points (hydro poles, signs, lights, etc) gives micro location with lidar.

With every system, beta testing on public roads with asshat entitled drivers/owners is criminally negligent. Even when a driver is employed and being paid to monitor the systems they mow down and kill people. They should have to pass a reasonable test on an unknown closed course before ever being allowed on public roads.

Alternatively, if the manufacturers truly believe that the drivers are paying attention as they keep parroting, at random intervals, they car should just randomly aim for a ditch. Within a week, I suspect the entire fleet would have destroyed itself.

The gps gives macro position while the database of fixed points (hydro poles, signs, lights, etc) gives micro location with lidar.
Check out what3words. It's an app where the makers have put a 3m x 3m grid over the entire surface of the earth and each 3m squared section is assigned a 3 word address to exactly pinpoint where that location is.

It's going to be added to forthcoming GPS systems and will be essential for accurate drone delivery and autonomous driving where the drone/car needs to know EXACTLY where to drop off the package or pick up the passenger.

I can see that being added to the arsenal of tools of autonomous cars 1 day, especially after 5G.

Back
Top Bottom