Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 239 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Love the WRX but a part of me wishes I got the Volt/Bolt instead. Actually toying with the idea of switching it up but I would most likely take a massive wash on the trade in so will hold off for a bit.
Once construction gets moving in our site I’ll have about an 60-70km round trip so a Gen2 would be perfect.

So, story of my life...

Me: In preparation for selling, I finally fixed a tire sensor on my car that caused an annoying yellow warning light on the dash for the last few months.

Also Me: Meticulously cleans car and puts car up for sale a week later.

Car: WTF BRO, I thought we were friends. Here, let me turn on the check engine light and throw 3 codes and turn on a bunch of lights on the dashboard again. I know how much you missed those. I'm sure anyone who comes and looks at the car won't mind. Suck it.

True story.

Replaced purge solenoid on the engine to start, cleared codes, and hey, all good for 2 or 3 days. A few days later...another code returns, different issue. Anyhow, all fixed, second issue was a wiring harness connection on the emissions purge valve at the back of the car. Pulled it apart, cleaned things up, put back together, cleared codes, fixed. I'd taken it through a car wash earlier that day so I think the bottom-blaster thing had fired some water into the harness.

In related news, I think I've decided to just keep the car for another year or so perhaps. Instead of moving up to a 2016 Volt which would still cost me about $10-$12K difference even if I buy one with similar (150,000+ish) mileage I think I'll just wait until a Bolt breaks below the $20K range and go that way instead. I did a lot of soul searching about how often the Bolt wouldn't actually fill our needs with it's drastically higher range and it might be literally once every few years. We could just rent a car in those extremely unlikely scenarios. And those scenarios are honestly the only reason I'm keeping the Volt.

Once the dealers open up again I’m going to see the difference between a VOLT/BOLT and my trade. Already told the wife if I can get some cash back it’s going to a bike. Had the discussion today while we went for a drive to force the kids to fall asleep as they were too rowdy.

Once the dealers open up again I’m going to see the difference between a VOLT/BOLT and my trade. Already told the wife if I can get some cash back it’s going to a bike. Had the discussion today while we went for a drive to force the kids to fall asleep as they were too rowdy.
What's up with the wrx? Too boy racer for you in your old age?

I've never been huge on the look of the Bolt, but I saw one a few days ago in white with a nice set of aftermarket alloys and dark tinted windows that for the first time really turned my crank.

And it turns out the Bolt is actually a surprisingly capable tow vehicle.

1610931813663.png

Guy reports he's getting about 180-200km per charge. He thinks the trailer is around 1500# as it sits in the photo, but honestly, that sees crazy light for any tent trailer I've ever seen - I suspect it's closer to 2000#.

I've never been huge on the look of the Bolt, but I saw one a few days ago in white with a nice set of aftermarket alloys and dark tinted windows that for the first time really turned my crank.

And it turns out the Bolt is actually a surprisingly capable tow vehicle.

View attachment 46603

Guy reports he's getting about 180-200km per charge. He thinks the trailer is around 1500# as it sits in the photo, but honestly, that sees crazy light for any tent trailer I've ever seen - I suspect it's closer to 2000#.
200 km range is an exercise in frustration even if it is possible. At one point, I had a 450 Honda tuned for fun but range was ~100 km. I passed the same truck/trailer three or four times going across the top of algonquin as I had to hit every gas station. Stopping for gas 10 times in a day sucked really badly. Obviously you wouldnt need that many stops but they would be much longer

Last edited:
Meh, depends on what mode your brain is on and where you're headed. 200km range towing something like that means you're only one charging stop from pretty much anything inside a 400km range....which takes you across a good portion of southern ontario. And when my brain is in vacation mode I'm never in a rush. One 60-80 minute stop somewhere to charge (sounds like a good opportunity for a nap to me in the trailer) and you're good to go again. Once you get to point B, plug in the level 1 at your campground for a few days and you're good to go for your first leg home.

Perfect? No. Totally doable, especially if you're pulling something lighter like a teardrop or something lighter and you're going to get 250-300km range instead? For sure.

200km at a time when you're trying to make time getting from A to B, yeah, that'd suck. But 350-400km at a time (Bolt without trailer) with a 1 hour drop to recharge, also...not the end of the world in many scenarios.

What's up with the wrx? Too boy racer for you in your old age?
Haha I’m not sure. It checks ALL the boxes on paper. Very capable, fun, comfy, sporty, and roomy.
but there’s something missing. And that something may be a motorcycle which the WRX can’t scratch that itch.
as the budget is blown on the car if I could trade it in and get some cash back, it would allow space for a bike again.
or I’m just too damn picky.

Haha I’m not sure. It checks ALL the boxes on paper. Very capable, fun, comfy, sporty, and roomy.
but there’s something missing. And that something may be a motorcycle which the WRX can’t scratch that itch.
as the budget is blown on the car if I could trade it in and get some cash back, it would allow space for a bike again.
or I’m just too damn picky.
yeah.

i watch plenty of youtube on fancy AMG this and M series that but the bike dusts them all. So i'll get something fairly practical and offers me the utility i need and just smile and nod as the guys with their 500hp behemoths blast past me on the 401 when im caging it. Knowing i'll return the favour on my bike at a later date.

The Bolt is supposed to be getting a refresh/update for 2022, and it's supposed to be announced officially in February: Chevrolet ‘Listened To Customers’ For Upcoming Bolt EV Refresh

Mentions that there's an upgrade to something that has been a common complaint ... the seats. The interior is supposed to have better materials in general.

I'm interested ... because the Bolt has sufficient range for my needs, and it fits within my driveway-space limitations with only slightly more aggravation than my Fiat 500 does. It's about 100mm wider and 600mm longer than the Fiat, which are both a nuisance, but I can make it work.

It's also supposed to be getting a more CUV-like bigger brother, but I'm not interested ... too big.

Hmmm.

The Bolt is supposed to be getting a refresh/update for 2022, and it's supposed to be announced officially in February: Chevrolet ‘Listened To Customers’ For Upcoming Bolt EV Refresh

Mentions that there's an upgrade to something that has been a common complaint ... the seats. The interior is supposed to have better materials in general.

I'm interested ... because the Bolt has sufficient range for my needs, and it fits within my driveway-space limitations with only slightly more aggravation than my Fiat 500 does. It's about 100mm wider and 600mm longer than the Fiat, which are both a nuisance, but I can make it work.

It's also supposed to be getting a more CUV-like bigger brother, but I'm not interested ... too big.

Hmmm.
do you qualify for the same discount offered to employees? ?

Dunno ... but one of my customers makes a bunch of chassis components for that car ...
imagine my surprise when i opened the trunk of the X5 and saw the Multimatic Gear sitting on the hinges.

?

Hmmm.

I wish they (GM) would have listened to me a few years back when they released the Bolt. As you will note in the second post of this thread years ago, I said the Bolt "looked promising", the drivetrain at the time seemed quite impressive and a good effort from GM. but unfortunately, if GM released the SUV version back then in parallel with the Bolt car, BACK then, instead of now, they would have gained waaaaay more Traction in the electric market then they have today.

GM BOLT e-SUV :

200 km range is an exercise in frustration even if it is possible. At one point,

It may even be less than that. 2017-2019 Bolts were subject to recall for battery fires. part of GMs solution is to only allow 90 percent charging of the battery pack to full.

apparently the 2020 models have a different battery design

It may even be less than that. 2017-2019 Bolts were subject to recall for battery fires. part of GMs solution is to only allow 90 percent charging of the battery pack to full.

apparently the 2020 models have a different battery design
So what’s normal range for these things?

So what’s normal range for these things?

Rated for 380km IIRC. Lots of people getting mid 450-480 regularly in the summer. One hypermiler got 750km.

Any battery issues are a plus for buying one used in a few years if the fix is a full battery replacement or something. I’d be happy with a high mileage 2016 with a fresh new 2021 battery.

My IDEAL scenario would be from home to cottage and back on a single charge. Options are Highway 10/27 or 400 to get there.

total km....300km. Hilly terrain on 10&27 (130km each way)or highway speeds (150km each way) at 400 series.

EDIT: I could theoretically set up an L2 charger as the laundry is right by the window and 10ft to the driveway so that could help.

Back
Top Bottom