Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 132 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

I'm glad they're improving, but they still sold that crap he tore down to the public. I know Musk wanted to shorten the cycle, but there is a good reason to get things running at a respectable level before you start shipping product.

Clearly this was not the way to do it. Hopefully, they learned their lesson and will not repeat this with model Y or semi.

Really? Because of panel gaps and heavy body shell? .... I have not seen anything yet which would make me cancel a reservation if I had one. The things most EV buyers are concerned (Ev drive train including battery) about is clearly better than anybody else's at this point. Panel gap? ... not perfect on my car either, and yet I don't care about it.

The one thing Tesla customers can be sure of is that Tesla will take care of their issues and some more ...
Yeah, the only possible consequence of terrible design and assembly practices are the panel gaps and overweight components that are immediately evident at first glance.

https://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability-by-brand

Tesla is a new 'car company'. They entered a mature market -- the first car company to do so in 30+ years.

They are facing strong financial headwinds and according to most analysts will likely end up merging with a large competitor or reorganizing under bankruptcy according to most analysts. Their apparent strengths are in electronics, battery power & propulsion, & marketing, financing, weaknesses appear to be industrial design, fiscal controls (spending), and manufacturing.

It's hard to get everything right, the car biz is complicated. It's probably best for all if Tesla merged with a more capable manufacturer. Let them focus on propulsion, storage, and marketing -- let the merger partner look after the industrial design and production.

Time will tell.
But that's the thing that "works" with Tesla, as a smaller player, they're able to take their mistakes, learn, and adjust quickly...gives them an upper hand. The bigger the governing body, the more authorizations and red tape you have to go through to make necessary changes, so less changes make it through just through sheer discouragement of going through all those hoops.

As mentioned as well, the dealership structure isn't for Tesla either... its not the traditional car company so it can't really be relevant if it gets absorbed by a regular car company.

Yeah, the only possible consequence of terrible design and assembly practices are the panel gaps and overweight components that are immediately evident at first glance.

https://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability-by-brand

You could really tell from driving it or looking at it that the Tesla cars are overweight? LOL ... OK ... isn't it more less the case that now we all know, because Munro said so. You driving one, you would have no clue, just like him driving it and loving it. There's a huge difference between what matters to customers and what matters to companies like Munro ....

But that's the thing that "works" with Tesla, as a smaller player, they're able to take their mistakes, learn, and adjust quickly...gives them an upper hand. The bigger the governing body, the more authorizations and red tape you have to go through to make necessary changes, so less changes make it through just through sheer discouragement of going through all those hoops.

As mentioned as well, the dealership structure isn't for Tesla either... its not the traditional car company so it can't really be relevant if it gets absorbed by a regular car company.
Thing is... it's inevitable. Tesla cannot reach profitability anytime soon and they have a finite amount of cash. Their stock price is falling faster than a SpaceX craft heading back to earth so dilution is gonna be costly, their bonds are rated as 'junk', so financing on those won't be pretty either.

Predicting bankrupt before the year end, some hedge funds sharks are already circling.

TESLA wont go away, it will change.

You could really tell from driving it or looking at it that the Tesla cars are overweight? LOL ... OK ... isn't it more less the case that now we all know, because Munro said so. You driving one, you would have no clue, just like him driving it and loving it. There's a huge difference between what matters to customers and what matters to companies like Munro ....
I don't know how many different ways there are of saying the same thing, but I'll try them all here and if you still don't get it then I give up.

1- I can't tell that it's overweight. And I DON'T CARE if it is. If weight and panel fit are the car's only problems then Tesla has it made. Instead, they're indicators of a deeper problem that will make Model 3s garbage for a long time until they take a different approach to their development (time that Tesla doesn't have)

2- The weight and panel fit are not the point. The point is some significant design and assembly shortfalls. Some of the evidence of that shortfall are in the measures of the bodyshell (weight, cost), and the consistently bad panel fit. Those are used as examples because they are the most easily determined at first glance. But the problem they point to is much bigger than those flaws alone.

3- Tesla needs to reach a profitable rate of production soon or they will go bankrupt. They won't be able to do so following their original plan because the flaws designed into it that prevent the 'dreadnought factory' production from taking place are baked into the design for the long term. Just like the weight of the bodyshell and the misaligned body panels are baked in for the long term.

Didn't OMD do a track about all the tesla girls....

Saw a Bolt on the highway today and I don't see them that often. It looked really good. I think our next car will be full electric all the way.

Signed the dotted line on a Volt yesterday, want to thank everyone in this thread for their contributions and especially PrivatePilot!

^ Congrats! Pics when you have them!

And for today's entertainment, I bring you today's installment of "Tesla doesn't know how to build cars". http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...f-35-000&p=111423609&viewfull=1#post111423609

The pics are huge, sorry...

0YCSRyV.jpg

https://imgur.com/0YCSRyV

ceHy0Y3.jpg

https://imgur.com/ceHy0Y3

Last edited:
I haven't been following the thread but an electrical contractor I know forwarded me a podcast regarding proposed condo law changes. One thing being addressed is the right of an owner to have a charging station installed. It used to be that requests could be denied without explanation. Now, with this item at least, a denial has to be fact based.

Some interesting cost conflicts need to be resolved and as with any new law, precedents will have to be developed. Lawyers are doing the happy dance.

Do they have to pay the utilities or the condo??
{dramatic music plays}

Do they have to pay the utilities or the condo??
{dramatic music plays}

That gets interesting if the condo wants to charge the user for power since that makes the condo a utility. Running power from each suite gets expensive. No patterns have been set as far as I know.

ICE drivers won't want to pick up the tab etc.

That gets interesting if the condo wants to charge the user for power since that makes the condo a utility. Running power from each suite gets expensive. No patterns have been set as far as I know.

Very easy to implement workarounds are readily available from a number of companies (e.g., Flo/AddEnergie, Chargepoint). They sell the charger that's connected to their network and collect the fees (often a flat rate). It gets charged by time, like a parking fee, not electricity consumed. Examples of this are the Chargepoint chargers at some GO stations, the variety of MyEVroute/KSI chargers around the province, or the FLO chargers that Cadillac Fairview and Canadian Tire have been putting in their sites.

I don't know how many different ways there are of saying the same thing, but I'll try them all here and if you still don't get it then I give up.

1- I can't tell that it's overweight. And I DON'T CARE if it is. If weight and panel fit are the car's only problems then Tesla has it made. Instead, they're indicators of a deeper problem that will make Model 3s garbage for a long time until they take a different approach to their development (time that Tesla doesn't have)

2- The weight and panel fit are not the point. The point is some significant design and assembly shortfalls. Some of the evidence of that shortfall are in the measures of the bodyshell (weight, cost), and the consistently bad panel fit. Those are used as examples because they are the most easily determined at first glance. But the problem they point to is much bigger than those flaws alone.

3- Tesla needs to reach a profitable rate of production soon or they will go bankrupt. They won't be able to do so following their original plan because the flaws designed into it that prevent the 'dreadnought factory' production from taking place are baked into the design for the long term. Just like the weight of the bodyshell and the misaligned body panels are baked in for the long term.

Sorry to be sound dumb. I guess I am no match for you ... :)

Yeah, I hear your points, but to me they sound like the talking points I hear regularly expressed by sort of the same people, or group of people. It sounds like today, you have to pick a side to choose. I guess I am choosing the side which thinks that for a company this new as Tesla is, they have actually overachieved up to this point. Yes, it will be a long term battle, but I happen to believe that they are here long term and stay ... regardless whether their current gaps are unacceptable or body shell overweight ... nothing stays the same for too long with them.

Can you elaborate why the misaligned body panels are "baked in long term" ... whatever that fancy term means?

BTW, you really think it's easier to make the best electric drive train in the business than to align panels or lighter body shell? Just yes or no will do ...

Sorry to be sound dumb. I guess I am no match for you ... :)

Yeah, I hear your points, but to me they sound like the talking points I hear regularly expressed by sort of the same people, or group of people. It sounds like today, you have to pick a side to choose. I guess I am choosing the side which thinks that for a company this new as Tesla is, they have actually overachieved up to this point. Yes, it will be a long term battle, but I happen to believe that they are here long term and stay ... regardless whether their current gaps are unacceptable or body shell overweight ... nothing stays the same for too long with them.

Can you elaborate why the misaligned body panels are "baked in long term" ... whatever that fancy term means?

BTW, you really think it's easier to make the best electric drive train in the business than to align panels or lighter body shell? Just yes or no will do ...
These are not my points, it's from the video. The video also explains the body gap problem; they need to considered from the design stage, factoring in assembly. That wasn't done, and since it's part of the design that makes them baked in for the long term.

And no. But I'm pretty sure you won't understand that answer either.

Back
Top Bottom