Any GTAM'ers have a tiny/micro camper? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers have a tiny/micro camper?

Havn't done the real math yet. My battery says "79 A.H. @ 20hr" . 79 amp hours dosen't sound like much but it's an RV specific battery.
It will run lights and water pump about 3 days.
I'm planning to upgrade the bulbs to LED. My meager research leads me to believe about a 100w folding solar set-up would be the way to go.
Crankcall - monocrystalline are more efficient and expensive than polycrystalline.

Surprisingly I don't know a lot about solar panels and I have a 10Kw system on house roof. I know what's important - IT MAKES MONEY.
(when the government starts handing out money you can either complain or start filling out the forms)
6V or 12V? Since you didn't say, I assume you have 79 ah @ 12V (actually a little more as you are drawing over more than 20 hours but close enough). That means you use ~300 watt hours/day. I expect that a 100 watt solar panel would cover that. I haven't done the math in a long time but iirc, it was something like 3 or 5 times rated power to get a reasonable estimate of Wh/day. If you don't rotate the panel to track the sun, you will generate less power (but still probably enough). If the batteries get low and you have a nice sunny day, adjust the panel every hour or so to keep it cooking.

Dammit.....hitch didn't make it to delivery today as was schedule.. Feckin FedEx.

Assuming it delivers Monday now I'm hoping that still leaves time for Shippsy to get it to me by next weekend.

It is a project I started a few years ago gutted and new interior not real happy with it but also not going to gut it again.

Sent from my couch using my thumbs
I always wanted to do something like this, But never thought i had the talent to pull it off. As asked can we get some pics on the build?

Going to work on it this weekend I will take some pics. It is a 2000 Great West on a b350. On this I let my ambition get ahead of my talent.

Sent from my K87CA using Tapatalk

I thought about doing this several times. As has my daughter - she loves looking at all the “vintage trailer makeovers” and thinking she has the skills to pull it off. She does not lol.

However I’ve seen the results of some of the attempts and they’re often not pretty lol. Often people just give up, paint everything or put a bunch of trim over things to hide the mess, and try to unload it.

I’m fairly confident I may end up in that category lol.

There really is an art to working in small spaces with lots of angles, curves, and obstructions. And then making it all sturdy enough to survive the rigours of going down the road.

I thought about doing this several times. As has my daughter - she loves looking at all the “vintage trailer makeovers” and thinking she has the skills to pull it off. She does not lol.

However I’ve seen the results of some of the attempts and they’re often not pretty lol. Often people just give up, paint everything or put a bunch of trim over things to hide the mess, and try to unload it.

I’m fairly confident I may end up in that category lol.

There really is an art to working in small spaces with lots of angles, curves, and obstructions. And then making it all sturdy enough to survive the rigours of going down the road.
The curves and compound angles are the ***** a promaster would have been much easier. Where the roof is joined to the cap is a extra special joy to try and make trim for.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

I spent some time doing boat interiors and have all the equipment (which makes the job way easier) , half the battle is being able to source the products for the build so it doesn't look like a homodepot special . Learning to make templates then running moulding and panels from template lessens the pain.

I spent some time doing boat interiors and have all the equipment (which makes the job way easier) , half the battle is being able to source the products for the build so it doesn't look like a homodepot special . Learning to make templates then running moulding and panels from template lessens the pain.
Should have had you help maybe I I'll gut and start over what's another few thousand into the burning pit at this point.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

Here are some inside pics ignore the boxes and tools there is a toilet hidden under the counter
8de37c486cb28f193cb608048a16d397.jpg
44602fd569d857d530b05cf59cffecd1.jpg
518e43a7f9b587456cfec0605e5985c3.jpg
e05d0c7d28d7ddaf247ed7bd922fab63.jpg
8c7c17d9f888832b9fa450ede98b7c50.jpg
f0cb98e2f78a4d0e3bad244b9f5e71bc.jpg

Sent from my couch using my thumbs

When we were searching endlessly for our trailer we came across a ton of nightmarish "Renovated" RV's on Kijiji and the such.

Some of them were just plain bad....there was one we saw where someone literally took a Vanity from Home Depot and was using it as the kitchen cupboards and sink, etc etc. One had one of the cheap flimsy plastic self-standing shower stalls (Again, Home depot) as the shower.

It's pretty laughable. And some of these RV's were listed for insane dollars.

Lots of roof replacements (roof damage is so common in old trailers) that looked decent but likely added 1000# of weight to the trailer and were of dubious securement...so the first time you pulled the trailer 500km I suspect a lot of the ceiling would be on the floor.

When we were searching endlessly for our trailer we came across a ton of nightmarish "Renovated" RV's on Kijiji and the such.

Some of them were just plain bad....there was one we saw where someone literally took a Vanity from Home Depot and was using it as the kitchen cupboards and sink, etc etc. One had one of the cheap flimsy plastic self-standing shower stalls (Again, Home depot) as the shower.

It's pretty laughable. And some of these RV's were listed for insane dollars.

Lots of roof replacements (roof damage is so common in old trailers) that looked decent but likely added 1000# of weight to the trailer and were of dubious securement...so the first time you pulled the trailer 500km I suspect a lot of the ceiling would be on the floor.
Haha, I saw a converted school bus with heated floors, a gas cooktop and a bleeping woodstove in it. wtf. How cold does he think it was going to be to dedicate that much space, effort and money to heat. I think he made videos of the build, used it for a few months travelling around with his hoard of kids and was then trying to sell it for a disgusting amount of money. To me, it was a shell requiring a gut and rebuild.

Here it is. Asking $186,000 USD. He was asking $310,000 USD but has lowered his asking price.

It look like the only exit requires you to squeeze through a tight gap between the wood stove and gas stove to get out. Safety first in wanker renos.

145415665_3711109605641737_9179032325938649762_o.jpg

Last edited:
Jeebus. Imagine getting a cast iron woodstove in the back of the skull when you slam on the brakes in an emergency one day.

Other than that, it's....interesting. I don't hate it. Don't like some of it either. One thing is sure - there's no chance in a frosty day in hell I'd pay $186K USD for it.

who needs a blender when you're camping?

Hitch arrived at Shippsy according to FedEx. Hoping they process it today so I can do my bit here and get it across. No worth from their system yet.

I'm going to hijack this a bit...what are the groups' thoughts on a small camper/trailer for a family of 4?

Obviously price is a concern but this is very preliminary so I'm not even sure where to start looking. Wife wants to get the kids into the outdoors starting this summer, and camping in the backyard / cottage is the easiest start (4 and 2) but will be looking at doing more beyond that.

Official tow rating on the Odyssey is around 3500lbs.

Back
Top Bottom