A Ride up North - James Bay | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Ride up North - James Bay

As I recall even if the the north end wasn't horribly twisty the road had a lot of good elevation changes and scenic vistas

I remember it as mostly Meh at best.

DCAA7E25-3E69-42D3-B9BF-F7508187BF34.jpeg

- Out of Timmins, I regularly see Highway 566 on the list of best motorcycle roads in Ontario. Shoot over to Matachewan.
The road going south out of timmins is not 566, it's a gravel road. 566 is just a short highway around Matachewan.

From Chapleau you could run east on the Sultan rd. It's gravel so more fun on a KLR but I have done it on a Wing.
Tim, I assume you mean this? If you rode it on a GoldWing, you're braver than I. I found the gravel fairly deep last summer. Got into a nasty tank slapper at one point and was very lucky to come out unscathed. Watch your speed.

bk7wn5y.jpg

Sultan to Ramsey to Webbwood is a logging road. Also a good ride for those who like lots of gravel. These are very remote areas, so be prepared. No fuel, no services of any kind, and I don't think there was cell service.

VK2kOtS.jpg

Tail of the dragon

Thought that had a fair bit of gravel in the corners as the cliff walls hug the road...been a while but much fun.

This is a good vid of the taiga
I watched his video of the JBR. One of their mates became separated, got scared, then screwed off for good. All while carrying most of another rider's gear. He wasted the better part of their day while they looked for him, then finally texted the group many hours later. What a dick. I hope you guys don't wind up with anyone like that.

Is this route asphalt or gravel? Both?

D0oCznE.jpg
The vertical part is definitely gravel, I was on it last summer. I haven't been on the horizontal part, I assume it's paved for a while coming out of matachewan and then turns into gravel.

The vertical part is definitely gravel, I was on it last summer. I haven't been on the horizontal part, I assume it's paved for a while coming out of matachewan and then turns into gravel.
Sorry, danp is right. The vertical part is gravel up to a few km away west of Matachewan.

The 560 had the flawless pavement and fast sweepers.

Guess I need to revamp some of the route - admittedly it was a quick and dirty plan without a whole lot of in-depth investigation quite yet.

Tim, I assume you mean this? If you rode it on a GoldWing, you're braver than I. I found the gravel fairly deep last summer. Got into a nasty tank slapper at one point and was very lucky to come out unscathed. Watch your speed.

bk7wn5y.jpg

Sultan to Ramsey to Webbwood is a logging road. Also a good ride for those who like lots of gravel. These are very remote areas, so be prepared. No fuel, no services of any kind, and I don't think there was cell service.

VK2kOtS.jpg
Yeah that's it. It's a private rd open to the public.
The gravel was OK when we did it. However on the westbound trip we were there on a Sat or Sunday and no traffic. On return eastward it was a weekday and I ended up with logging truck in my mirror that needed to pass me.

I watched his video of the JBR. One of their mates became separated, got scared, then screwed off for good. All while carrying most of another rider's gear. He wasted the better part of their day while they looked for him, then finally texted the group many hours later. What a dick. I hope you guys don't wind up with anyone like that.

What effing luck they had. Guy blows a wheel bearing and two minutes later a guy stops with a trailer. On our first trip it cost my buddy about $50 to get his old ninja trailered to the gas station where it was abandoned.

Just got a response from Chisasibi!

That said, as I kind of expected it’s a bit of a “we’re not sure yet” thing.

I’ll continue to back burner this for another 8-12 weeks until the vaccination thing gets further down the road and we’ve got a better idea the results.

BBA0866C-FBF4-473B-8FD6-33F4A18035C1.png

It's still in the back of my head for sure, but the Chisasibi thing is the big gamble. Can't go through Chisasibi, can't get to James Bay. Can't get to James Bay, can't say I rode to Nunavut. ;)

I'll fire off another email in a week or two and see if anything has changed...and verify if we can actually pass BY the town to get to the water, or if there's any sort of road closure preventing even that.

Radisson I'm sure will be much less locked down.

Got my second shot today as well, so there's that.

Got the 1250 all prepped for the trip with new rubber and headlight & Rad guards for the anticipated 1500 kms of dirt on the 5300km trip.
Only 1500? Arn't you doing the Rue de Nord?

Back
Top Bottom