A Ride up North - James Bay | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Ride up North - James Bay

This is definitely on my bucket list of places to travel and do a safari.

Amazing trip. Well worth the $$$

Took this beauty in the morning after our overnight in the park. Blew it up and put it on our wall.

9661ec130ea7bb7ac68c51f33a372edb.jpg

Let me know if you want our itinerary, was a 5 day safari. But you could do 7 or more.

Last edited:
Fair. When I say "bear country" I also mean, in my head at least, "wolf country" and "big cat country" as well in many areas - rare in Ontario and Quebec, but they're out there. Moose aren't to be ****** with either.

Well, that's it.....looks like I need to tow one of these behind the motorcycle for this trip now.

CZR-90100044-3.jpg

😄
That's a little much -- unless there's Russians on the JBR.

don't forget those violent caribou....could be a stampede
I must admit seeing a caribou running in the bush pacing the bike almost caused an accident - was rather startled. :eek:

as for wolves...fugedaboudit.

now if you spot one of these.
run
I know the stats on wolves, they know people are dangerous and avoid us.

That doesn't make me comfortable, I've seen them at work, they are savage. First you see one, wow let's take a picture! Then 3 or 4 slink out of the bush in a show of force all stare at you while they move.

Unnerving.

That doesn't make me comfortable, I've seen them at work, they are savage. First you see one, wow let's take a picture! Then 3 or 4 slink out of the bush in a show of force all stare at you while they move.

Unnerving.
Very rare to see a lone wolf, always packs

Unnerving.

It's coyotes where we live. They prey on dogs and cats that people let outdoors. Hear them howling every night. Eerie.

It's coyotes where we live. They prey on dogs and cats that people let outdoors. Hear them howling every night. Eerie.
I have a family in my back yard right now. They snatched and ate my neighbours little fluffy dog when she was on a walk. They snatch rabbits from my yard daily.

Funny thing is they won't tangle with the outdoor cats in the neighbourhood.

I'd be more scared of coywolves as they seem to be evolving away from fear of humans but the physique of a timberwolf.
There was a pair of timber wolves in the Milton area we came across one night looking for a place to rent.
Even from 100m and inside a car a full grown timber wolf looking straight at me had my hind brain making my hair stand up. Always have that reaction even to movie growling threats ala Never Ending Story or Harry Potter.
Of course there is rabies to consider

True about coyotes. My dad would walk his small dogs down the Etobicoke creek nightly. They would usually be heard off to the sides but one night they got brave enough to give it a shot. Tore a small piece out of his jack russell before it caught a rock to the dome. Ever since then he would carry an entrenching tool around on his walks down there. Never saw one again.

b31e90552ef0be466331327cc13b4bc3.jpg

About 15 years ago at work in a deserted drop yard at around 2-3 am I came face to face with a pack of coyotes - just sitting there, starting at me, silently moving around seemingly jockeying for position.

I was glad there was a fence between us, but it sure seemed to me like they were looking for a way over/around it, at least in my head.

I got back in my truck and sat in there for a half hour until getting out again and they were long gone.

I know coyote attacks on humans is virtually unheard of, but your lizard brain still tells you that you're in danger.

True about coyotes. My dad would walk his small dogs down the Etobicoke creek nightly. They would usually be heard off to the sides but one night they got brave enough to give it a shot. Tore a small piece out of his jack russell before it caught a rock to the dome. Ever since then he would carry an entrenching tool around on his walks down there. Never saw one again.

b31e90552ef0be466331327cc13b4bc3.jpg
Lol. Looks exactly the same as the shovel that comes with my Ural.

We were camping in South Africa and a band of monkeys targeted our food while we were making dinner. Neda was cooking and one monkey came right up to her and tried to steal what she was prepping. She chased it away with her spatula in hand like a weapon. But as soon as she left her post, all the other monkeys rushed in to take advantage of the unguarded food.

Thankfully, I was close by and ran in as backup, but those fockers definitely pre-planned this decoy tactic. Like they were playing Rainbow 6 against us in real life...
I went to visit some rescued spider monkeys in Mexico a few years back and before you get to “meet” them you get an orientation meeting with some advice. The advice was “if the big female spider monkey wants something you have just let her take it”.

Back
Top Bottom