A Ride up North - James Bay | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Ride up North - James Bay

Forecasting up there is a real and miss thing.The last time we went the forecast was virtually the same and we only got about 3 hours of rain in 5 days.We do expect to get wet on Friday and part of Saturday.We are prepared.
Hopefully it works out for you. On my return back down the JBH it rained all the way, not light rain eithe crazy pissing rain. I was exhausted at the end of it.

Don't want to rain on your parade, Buy it looks like rain all next wk

Looks OK up there at the north end at least, but yeah, the south end (and most of Ontario and Quebec) are washouts for a huge part of the week.

Ugh, this never fails to happen when I'm on vacation. Honest to god.

I just texted the boss and asked if I can cancel my vacation next week and reschedule for another week instead - we've already cancelled our camping reservations we had for the weekend (we're leaving Tobermory tomorrow) and next weeks looks like a waste to even try to go anywhere. Even this week has been kinda sucky - almost constant heavy winds, the temperature plummeted of course....wtf.

Looks OK up there at the north end at least, but yeah, the south end (and most of Ontario and Quebec) are washouts for a huge part of the week.

Ugh, this never fails to happen when I'm on vacation. Honest to god.

I just texted the boss and asked if I can cancel my vacation next week and reschedule for another week instead - we've already cancelled our camping reservations we had for the weekend (we're leaving Tobermory tomorrow) and next weeks looks like a waste to even try to go anywhere. Even this week has been kinda sucky - almost constant heavy winds, the temperature plummeted of course....wtf.
I’ve been in Sudbury for the last few days, I swear to **** it has been frost in the mornings

Yeah. And if I was at work it would be 26 degrees and sunny.

We left last Friday the 25 from Toronto to Val D Or through on and off rain .Left the next day in rain to Chibougamau and The North rd to Nemaska where we stayed overnight with good weather.Next morning we left for Radison .The Billy Diamond highway has tons of construction which probably added 2 hours travel time to our travel time.
We went to Chissisipi and we had no travel restrictions by the locals and we went to the shore again with no issues again in great weather.More to follow with pictures.

By construction delays are you talking gravel sections, or just intermittent lane closures, or what exactly?

I was also able to confirm no closures through Chisasibi recently as well as the fact the dam in Radison is doing your groups again now with more reasonable limitations. There is limited English tours however so I’m looking at some prospect dates in August at this point.

By construction delays are you talking gravel sections, or just intermittent lane closures, or what exactly?

I was also able to confirm no closures through Chisasibi recently as well as the fact the dam in Radison is doing your groups again now with more reasonable limitations. There is limited English tours however so I’m looking at some prospect dates in August at this point.
From about the North rd to 381 there were numerous sections of single lane with pilot cars guiding through them.Going up we lost probably well over 2 hours but coming out on Friday am we probably only lost 1/2 hour.Once your south of about the North rd the road is excellent.

From about the North rd to 381 there were numerous sections of single lane with pilot cars guiding through them.Going up we lost probably well over 2 hours but coming out on Friday am we probably only lost 1/2 hour.Once your south of about the North rd the road is excellent.
Ah yes the pilot cars, forgot about those. When I did it those sections were all gravel, with high banks you had to cross over because they guided you through 1 lane, the other being worked on so it wasn't level. Lot's of fun.

Also that is the false hope of the highway, the beginning doesn't seem so bad, but then it gets worse, and even more so with the construction. But from the sounds of it they made some progress moving the project further up. (y)

I have posted all my pictures on Instagram on my page duncan.johnson1.Feel free to view and use them as you wish.I will be adding more text to the thread.

Instagram. duncan.johnson1

Last edited:
My ride did not quite go as intended as I only made it through 2 1/2 days till I damaged a rim through a bunch of stutter bumps with a couple of holes in in its midst.I did not see it in the dust as my visor was coated with dust inside and out and my visibility was quite compromised.The lessons are pretty clear here.Goggles instead of a normal visor setup and spoked rims which will take much higher impacts than a cast rims.We lost 3 BMW’s on this ride due to cast rim failures that resulted in them bending and loosing the air.All the other bikes had spoke rims and had zero issues at the same speeds. As I was warned,My 80/20 tires were not up to the loose gravel sections that there were lots of on the North and Trans Tiaga roads especially after fresh grading.Lessons learned for next time!
I rode in the chase truck for the rest of the ride which I have mixed feelings about but I am glad I did as there were some great experiences.I sent my bike back to Toronto BMW on a tow truck courtesy of BMW Roadside Assistance due to my bike being in warranty.
The people at our stays Val D Or,Radison,Nemaska,Mirage Outfitters,Relais 381 and the Terrace Inn in Calander where all outstanding and totally accommodating.We had a great time even with our issues and I plan to go again to finish this route but with my bike set up better for it or on a more dedicated bike for gravel.

Last edited:
My ride did not quite go as intended as I only made it through 2 1/2 days till I damaged a rim through a bunch of stutter bumps with a couple of holes in in its midst.I did not see it in the dust as my visor was coated with dust inside and out and my visibility was quite compromised.The lessons are pretty clear here.Goggles instead of a normal visor setup and spoked rims which will take much higher impacts than a cast rims.We lost 3 BMW’s on this ride due to cast rim failures that resulted in them bending and loosing the air.All the other bikes had spoke rims and had zero issues at the same speeds. As I was warned,My 80/20 tires were not up to the loose gravel sections that there were lots of on the North and Trans Tiaga roads especially after fresh grading.Lessons learned for next time!
I rode in the chase truck for the rest of the ride which I have mixed feelings about but I am glad I did as there were some great experiences.I sent my bike back to Toronto BMW on a tow truck courtesy of BMW Roadside Assistance due to my bike being in warranty.
The people at our stays Val D Or,Radison,Nemaska,Mirage Outfitters,Relais 381 and the Terrace Inn in Calander where all outstanding and totally accommodating.We had a great time even with our issues and I plan to go again to finish this route but with my bike set up better for it or on a more dedicated bike for gravel.
So that's code for "buying a KLR" I take it? Last time we did that route, 4 out 4 KLR's were ridden home. Loosing 3 beemers in one ride does not speak well of the marque.

So that's code for "buying a KLR" I take it? Last time we did that route, 4 out 4 KLR's were ridden home. Loosing 3 beemers in one ride does not speak well of the marque.
The issue was taking bikes with the wrong rims which we thought would not be a problem.The one GS that had the spoked wheels had zero issues besides his rubber was totally worn out by the time he got home.I am going up again to finish the route for my satisfaction.I will be better prepared for the next one.
We had 1 KLR on the trip and except for his air cleaner being plugged up and his tires being worn out he had no issues and he has 75000 kms on it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom