A Ride up North - James Bay | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Ride up North - James Bay

Thanks for the advice, PP.

...and be able to officially say you've rode to Nunavut.

C'mon! Really? Yes, I've seen the border when looking up close on Google maps, but I'm not buyin' it!

If you want to ride to Nunavut, try this map:

251dde0b1481a7ab8a625da858030f89.jpg

Last edited:
The tideline is Nunavut. James Bay itself is part of Nunavut.

The google maps lines are off a little as well (rudimentary basically as it can be in many areas with borders that follow complicated land masses) but look in the official government maps and documents and you’ll see that the tide line is the border. I’ve done my homework.

So yes, ride to the bay west of Chisasibi, touch the water....you’re in Nunavut.

Last edited:
The tideline is Nunavut. James Bay itself is part of Nunavut.

The google maps lines are off a little as well (rudimentary basically as it can be in many areas with borders that follow complicated land masses) but look in the official government maps and documents and you’ll see that the tide line is the border. I’ve done my homework.

So yes, ride to the bay west of Chisasibi, touch the water....you’re in Nunavut.

SInce there is no other way to check off Nunavit ...this will have to do

Not doubting your homework, PP, buts it's not really Nunavut in spirit, is it?

Just as going to Hyder, Alaska doesn't really count as having visited Alaska proper.

If you had a one hour airport layover in another province/state/country, would it be fair to proudly add it to the list of places you've been?

Last edited:
If there is no other method to get a bike there ....yep. If there is, no....
and Hyder is fun coming back into Kanuckistan.
Really many of the check off places ...say S Dakota are just touched on via a blitz on the slab. Little difference in my mind.

The only "real" way of visiting Nunavut would be to fly your bike to Iqaiuit, and ride around. They do have cars etc up there, but they are transported by air or boat. It's a balmy 7 there today, great way to beat the heat!

Not doubting your homework, PP, buts it's not really Nunavut in spirit, is it?

Just as going to Hyder, Alaska doesn't really count as having visited Alaska proper.

If you had a one hour airport layover in another province/state/country, would it be fair to proudly add it to the list of places you've been?

If I've been there...I've been there. The "technicality" aspect doesn't bother me.

I've been to the Four Corners Monument as well where you can stand in Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado all in one place. Now, just because I might now have actually driven in 2 of those states as part of that trip I still considered I was "in" all 4 because I walked the circle of the monument.

In the case of the JBR ride...if I'm riding 2000km from the GTA with part of it being a 600km stretch of desolate land with only 1 gas station in the middle, yeah, darned well I'm going to seize the fact that I've rode to Nunavut no matter how much of a "technicality" some may think it is. ;)

Arguably it's actually a point of pride that one managed to physically ride their motorcycle to Nunavut in that it's the only physical way to accomplish that without flying your bike in. And the people doing that are very, very few.

Anyone venture down the Trans Taiga while headed up the JBR?
Not much to see but you get bragging rights.....And if you slog it out to the very end you can get gas for 10$/gallon (in 2016 probably even more now)

Urgh, this thread getting bumped has put the JBR back in my head.

I'm hoping as the summer wears on the north opens up again and I can check off the JBR this year. I just want some big mile rides this season, I'm tired of the 1-3 hour radius stuff.

I'm hoping as the summer wears on the north opens up again and I can check off the JBR this year. I just want some big mile rides this season, I'm tired of the 1-3 hour radius stuff.
If you got no one to run this trip with. And you’re looking for someone to go on this adventure, i would be interested. I want to do this trip sometime this season, but i don’t want to do it as a lone rider. Someone else with experience would work great

If you got no one to run this trip with. And you’re looking for someone to go on this adventure, i would be interested. I want to do this trip sometime this season, but i don’t want to do it as a lone rider. Someone else with experience would work great
If I can convince my wife I might actually give this a whirl. Take a few days off work and work it into a weekend and I might be able to pull it off.

Please keep me posted with @PrivatePilot

I want to go too. I rough tour on my bike - the Hilton reward card stays at home.

Be nice to find a group to go.

I'm up for a group ride as long as everyone doesn't mind riding hard....I just can't do the "ride for an hour and sit for two" thing - it would turn this trip into a 6-7 day thing and I really don't want to use a whole week of vacation to do it LOL. I ride hard through the day and then at point B it's beer-o-clock.

Assuming likely realistically August....there's 15 hours of daylight to work with every day.

Here was the plan I was running with. (Disregard the dates, this plan was from 2020 LOL)

1617834666234.png

I very much plan on East-Sleep-Ride during the daylight hours.

Day 1, Depart the east end and ride to the base of the JBR, 904KM.

Day 2 the length of the JBR to Chisasibi, hit the bay and make it official, then turn and burn to Radison for the night.

Day 3, Hydroelectric dam tour in Radison in the AM, then turn and burn for the midpoint/fuel station on the JBR (or somewhere on the JBR depending on what time I get out of the tour) and spend the night there.

Day 4, 1035KM home.

I'm probably planning to camp at least a few nights on the trip, but flexible.

The Day 4 may be a killer...but I did an Iron Butt on a 250...I'm sure I can figure it out. And would give me a few months to get familiar with the X.

So you're thinking like a Thursday - Sunday or a Saturday - Tuesday?

The one thing should have done on my trip was give myself an extra day in Chisasibi. Going all that way and not really checking out the area, and give myself some extra rest as the ride was exhausting because of the gravel/construction/heaves.

Hopefully that run is possible, but with the way COVID is going and lack of vaccines, they are vulnerable communities which may not want visitors.

I’m flexible on the last day, If it’s going slow or whatnot I’m not against calling it early and just making it back the remainder of the way the next morning.

As for Covid, they should already be fully vaccinated up there - indigenous communities had absolute first shot at vaccines from the very beginning, as did most far north communities. Coupled with the reality that most everyone else should have had access to their first shot at minimum by August I think it puts things within the realms of reality - I’ve got my first shot now and will have my second mid July, possibly earlier if they move up the second shot appointments if there’s enough supply as was rumoured may happen.

Back
Top Bottom