A Ride up North - James Bay | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Ride up North - James Bay

The last time we went up the 1st day started on my then new bike with about 900 kms on it and ended in Matagami 930 kms later.When we got back my 2 week old bike had 4200 kms on it

I might be able to hook you up with a parking spot out this way (not at my place but somewhere in the vicinity) but can't do much about the camping thing as the trailer is stored at a storage lot where I'm reasonably sure the guy would dislike people spending the night.

There is a really nice hotel only a few minutes from my place though. Alternately, just meet in Orillia - you go up the west side of the city versus coming out east only to go north anyways. It wouldn't be too hard to plan a meeting spot and time.

Hell if we meet Orillia I’ll just spend the night in Wasaga and head up from the cottage.

Is anybody going to plan this? I would be in for sure if it falls on my off rotation time

I'll keep it in my back pocket planning wise until it's confirmed that getting into/through Chisasibi is even possible this year. Like I said, if I can't get out to James Bay and touch the water to say I rode to Nunavut, well, like I said before, I'll wait until that's possible.

I guess that'd start with a letter to whoever the Grand Poobah is in Chisasibi. I'll fire off an email now.

Email sent. The towns website pretty much lays out that at this point...not happening - they're not allowing anyone in without many hoops jumped through, and a very good reason for coming. I stated in the email we're looking at late summer or very early fall at the latest and that it's anticipated we'll be in a much better situation then. I even suggested that if the town is still discouraging travel that we could just go straight on past to the water and not stop in the town itself - just don't want to get to a checkpoint and get turned around 10km short of that goal.

The same would have to go for Radissson itself as well of course, but I'd expect they'll relax before Chisasibi vs the other way around.

Unfortunately the outlook for things being better is impossible to say for sure given we all *thought* we'd be in a better situation now, and well, here we are.

For me, I'd be either looking at the first week of August (Departing July 31'st) or September 4'th or 11'th depature. If it's a go, it'll be one of those 3 options.

Will post the reply as soon as I get it. I expect it to be basically "We will wait and see" at this point, and little more. I suspect it'll be summer before they make any decisions on loosening things, assuming things get better.

Auto reply thus far:

Waachiyaah, ᐧᐋᒋᔮᐦ, Hello, Bonjour,

Thank you for contacting the Cree Nation of Chisasibi.
We will get back to you as soon as possible.
For immediate assistance, please call (819) 855-2878, from Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Regards,

53YmwhZPryIXF104vUlBW-N0gxLAXTCs7NGjiYu80_-zCu3eORZHy1quVg1Z7tC9HHfv9JGFGXFbrZqelMykJGNOwD6rbrJSKrYsWWigTKsMbOZ2A-lG=s0-d-e1-ft

Cree Nation of Chisasibi
1 Riverside Drive
P.O. Box 150
Chisasibi, Québec
J0M 1E0

Phone: (819) 855-2878
Fax: (819) 855-2875

Expect a real human reply sometime tomorrow likely. Not unexpected to get an auto reply on weekends. :)

Hey, guys.
I had been planning to head up to James Bay solo this year if conditions allowed, but if I'm welcome, maybe I'll tag along with your group if this comes to pass?
I'm in Sudbury, but could meet up with you somewhere en route, like Temagami.

Stay tuned to the thread.

You're good with big mile days?

How many riders now, and how many days will this take? Are you guys gonna stay in motels or camp or both?

How many riders now, and how many days will this take? Are you guys gonna stay in motels or camp or both?

I’ve lost track at the moment. Maybe someone could go back through the last page or 4 and construct a list that we can edit and keep track of as needed.

I enjoy motocamping but am flexible depending on the group makeup. Motel likely in Radisson. Not sure about camping on night 3 coming back down the JBR, bears are my concern given the area. I carry bear spray when motocamping, but still, chances of an encounter is much higher up there especially if we are carrying food as I’m sure many of us will be, particularly if we are camping along the JBR in the middle of nowhere.

I’ve lost track at the moment. Maybe someone could go back through the last page or 4 and construct a list that we can edit and keep track of as needed.

I enjoy motocamping but am flexible depending on the group makeup. Motel likely in Radisson. Not sure about camping on night 3 coming back down the JBR, bears are my concern given the area. I carry bear spray when motocamping, but still, chances of an encounter is much higher up there especially if we are carrying food as I’m sure many of us will be, particularly if we are camping along the JBR in the middle of nowhere.
Just remember you don’t have to be faster then the bear, you only have to be faster then @mimico_polak

I’m not very fast myself anymore. That’s my concern lol.

PP we've rough camped up there on both trips (including the TransTaiga). We have never seen a bear and we are not good with food. We keep it on the bikes right there.

In a pinch there is a motel in Wemindji. When we were there the water was off due to road construction. They had it back on the next morning once the bikes were packed.

I would like to camp as much as time will allow.

Got some new gear to checkout, see if it was a good purchase

PP we've rough camped up there on both trips (including the TransTaiga). We have never seen a bear and we are not good with food. We keep it on the bikes right there.
In a pinch there is a motel in Wemindji. When we were there the water was off due to road construction. They had it back on the next morning once the bikes were packed.
I'm fine with whatever mix of camping/motel. I always bring camping gear on a trip like this in case things go south. As long as we're not camping near landfill, bears aren't really a concern. That being said, I prefer to hang my food a good distance from the tents... there's no sense in tempting them.

Back
Top Bottom