A Ride up North - James Bay | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Ride up North - James Bay

But is it though? If I’m going with a group and the start point for most is 100km away? Maybe PP will let me camp in his yard if we end up doing the trip. Need to start fresh...for safety’s sake!
If you start in Mississauga at the same time he starts in courtice, you should arrive in orillia within 1 minute of each other. That’s your easiest route to matagami.

If you start in Mississauga at the same time he starts in courtice, you should arrive in orillia within 1 minute of each other. That’s your easiest route to matagami.
For some reason I didn't consider that we would have to go west....but I guess we're going north. Will figure it out closer to a date...if the ride happens...and if the region allows for travellers.

Any word back from the region @PrivatePilot regarding passing through?

The only bear I saw on the Trip was crossing the street in Timmins. At first I didn't even realize what is was, but there was a street sign for bear crossings there. :ROFLMAO: ?‍♂️ No other wild life otherwise.
We get bears at my place in Timmins every Thursday. There are no raccoons, bears come in to raze subdivision garbage cans.

bears aren’t a concern when wilderness camping. Wolves spook me.

Same. I've seen The grey
I was spooked by a pack that followed us along a trail near Mattawa about 20 years ago. We were on small bikes, on a single track thru the bush. We saw them several times over a 3 hour period, it was clear they were keeping an eye on us.

For carrying extra fuel, in addition to using the jerry cans or rotopax, there are also these containers which might appeal to some of you:

Last edited:
Lone wolf in the yard this morning (Timmins). Pic taken from the car. B6E1959C-6F78-45AF-8082-A133DC217527.jpeg

For some reason I didn't consider that we would have to go west....but I guess we're going north. Will figure it out closer to a date...if the ride happens...and if the region allows for travellers.

Any word back from the region @PrivatePilot regarding passing through?

Yep, anyone on the west side of town can meet any of us east-enders (which I think is just me) somewhere Orillia-ish. We can all fuel up and honk on it for at least 225ish KM at that point.

Haven't heard anything back from Chisasibi at this point. If nothing by Friday I'll call their contact number at some point through the day. Unfortunately I expect little more than "We'll have to wait and see" at this point as who knows what the summer will bring considerring we're hardly where we thought/hoped we'd be right now, so it's hard to say with any certainty where we'll be then.

For carrying extra fuel, in addition to using the jerry cans or rotopax, there are also these containers which might appeal to some of you:

This little 15L one is my go-to for travelling on the bike...it's travelled on all my big trips.

It don't look pretty, but it gets the job done. Last summers ride to Pickle Lake.

1618343920172.png

Will probably have to put it somewhere else for this trip as I'll need that rack for the camping gear, although I'm sure I can make it work somehow.

Hey, I just thought.....we need a moderator to come along with us. If we're all sitting around a campfire shooting the **** and things get heated, who's going to lock the thread?

?

Hey, I just thought.....we need a moderator to come along with us. If we're all sitting around a campfire shooting the **** and things get heated, who's going to lock the thread?

?
Things always get heated by the campfire.

Participant list thus far, will edit as we go along:

ToSlow
Mimico_polak
Mad Mike
Jeff96
Slowbird (Maybe, lurking)
Dirigible

I have at least one riding buddy who's about 80% as well I think, although not sure about the camping thing...will have to ask him what his thoughts are on that. I'll probably toss it out amongst my riding buddy circle and see if there's any others interested as well, but as soon as I mention a 1000km day pretty much all of them are all "I'm out" lol.

@PrivatePilot When I went up there I didn't realize I'd be going on reserve land where permission was expected. I just winged it and rode out there. I'm not suggesting that we do that, especially for a group of riders. I suspect they ask people to get permission as a courtesy and respect for their land rights, but don't really monitor this sort of thing.
They may be hesitant to give a reply in writing given how dynamic the covid situation is. It might be a case of "sure, just keep your distance from people, get gas and leave".

Also, if the campground at Radisson is closed, there is a unserviced site at the Eastmain River just north of RR381. Unfortunately, that's 230 km from the dam or 300 km from Chisasibi. If there's no accommodation available, and we want to do both the dam tour and touch the water thing, we have either a very long day to and from Eastmain River, or rough camping.
There are rest stops along the way, but if I recall, there are no camping signs at them.

@PrivatePilot When I went up there I didn't realize I'd be going on reserve land where permission was expected. I just winged it and rode out there.

I'm assuming the road is part of the reserve given it basically skirts the town, but not sure.

Personally I'm all good with completely avoiding the town itself if that's the request. I would really like a picture of my bike with a cree stop sign in the background, though - that's a unique picture to show around. ;)

Also, if the campground at Radisson is closed, there is a unserviced site at the Eastmain River just north of RR381. Unfortunately, that's 230 km from the dam or 300 km from Chisasibi. If there's no accommodation available, and we want to do both the dam tour and touch the water thing, we have either a very long day to and from Eastmain River, or rough camping.
There are rest stops along the way, but if I recall, there are no camping signs at them.

I'm not picky on campsite locations. I motocamped behind a canteen building in a public park one time. If theres a patch reasonably flat enough to pitch the tent and not get run over by a car in the middle of the night, I'm good. I'd never ride hundreds of kilometers solely to camp in a 'campground' versus just throwing my tent up along side the road somewhere.

I haven't done the JBR before but I understand there's pullouts and emergency phone stations. Honestly, any of those work for me if the schedule dictates we spend night 3 along the JBR....and since there's no cellphone service I'd probably use the opportunity to use the phone to check in with the wife and let her know we're spending the night in BFN and all is well for the night.

Participant list thus far, will edit as we go along:

ToSlow
Mimico_polak
Mad Mike
Jeff96
Slowbird (Maybe, lurking)
Dirigible

This has always been on my list and I would really like to go. Gotta see how this Covid situation is panning out, and also gotta clear with my work if they would request I isolate afterwards since I would be leaving the Province.

This has always been on my list and I would really like to go. Gotta see how this Covid situation is panning out, and also gotta clear with my work if they would request I isolate afterwards since I would be leaving the Province.

Those policies are going to slowly go away as we get into summer assuming no more surprises. Companies can’t restrict people forever otherwise they’ll start getting themselves into legal issues once it’s no longer warranted.

I have a week of vacation booked for November and we’re really looking to do a week in Vegas or something. A cruise maybe, but hard to say for sure on that.

Up here, the reserves have closed off access to non-residents (with barricades, police presence, the works) at different times depending on the status of COVID. I think Chisasibi will be the same--if they don't want us there, it will be obvious. I assume the situation will have improved by late summer, but we'll just have to monitor it.

Up here, the reserves have closed off access to non-residents (with barricades, police presence, the works) at different times depending on the status of COVID. I think Chisasibi will be the same--if they don't want us there, it will be obvious. I assume the situation will have improved by late summer, but we'll just have to monitor it.

Legault has said everyone who wants one will be vaccinated by June 24th in Quebec, so hopefully things will be back to normal by then.

Back
Top Bottom