2022 Day Trips! | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2022 Day Trips!

Looking for recommendations for a fall drive next Sunday with the family, except Algonquin.
Any suggestions?
Take them up to Magnetewan which is a pretty nice town to stop in, then from there head south along the Old Nipissing Trail. Read this first: The Old Nipissing Road Trail - Ontario's Ghost Road And look out for old historic homes and stuff along the way.

Maybe take them over to Screaming Heads, if it's open too: Screaming Heads of Midlothian is one of the most unusual places to visit in Ontario

Take them to see some water in Burk Falls, Rosseau and Bala. Perfect fall weather family trip.

I can't wait until the kids are all older and well enough to spend a day in the car.

I want to expose them to road trips as I wasn't when we were younger. Road trips to nowhere were my favourite thing when I first started driving and gas was 52c/L!

I can't wait until the kids are all older and well enough to spend a day in the car.

I want to expose them to road trips as I wasn't when we were younger. Road trips to nowhere were my favourite thing when I first started driving and gas was 52c/L!
ahh the pre iraq war days

ahh the pre iraq war days
Yup. I still enjoy long drives to nowhere...they're just much more expensive.

I remember my wife and I would 1000km through Ontario just for kicks (about 7-8 years ago). Who's got time for that nowadays?? (motorcycle full day rides don't count!).

How old are your kids?
I have been touring with them ever since my younger one was 6 months old. She is 18 months now.
Initially it was just the elder one - she's been touring with us since she was 4. She is 8 now.

How old are your kids?
I have been touring with them ever since my younger one was 6 months old. She is 18 months now.
Initially it was just the elder one - she's been touring with us since she was 4. She is 8 now.
5, 3, and 6 months.

They're actually good travelers, so maybe I'm just being overly worried about it.

I think you are. For the infant, what we did was stop every 2 hours and allowed her to stretch.

When we went to Thunder Bay, she was 6 months
We had a portable camping toilet that we brought with us, just in case.

This was a ride from 2 weeks ago.

The idea was to cover roads I had not been on. Namely - the entire stretch of 518, and the roads around Barry's Bay. A two day ride with a stopover in Pembroke.

Here's the route taken on Sat, 24th Sept:

1665144999047.png

Started off, really early and was on Southwood 13 by 8am

The 518 was fully paved, relatively recently and tbh was the most fun I have had this year! Next, Ravenscliffe was also freshly paved

Stopped by Oxtounge River Rapids on the way

Rode across Algonquin HiWay 60. First time on this highway on 2 wheels. Too crowded. Nothing special. I continued.
I was at Barrys's Bay at around 1pm.

Then I started exploring the roads here. Stopped at the Kamaniskeg Lake Lookout

Met an elderly gentleman here on his KLR and spent almost an hour listening to his experiences over the course of the past few decades.

Letterkenny road:

Crooked Slide Park:

After I had my fill circling Barry's Bay a few times, I rode off to Pembroke and settled in at the Travellers Inn. At $75 a night, it was a good deal

The next day

This was the retun:

1665162392875.png

Cherry Point on 518

The Centennial Lake road is freshly paved, and is a pure delight this time of the year. From there I went down the Buckshort Lake Rd, and there after, the 509. I had plans to explore the region around Ompah further, but it started to rain. At first a drizzle, and then heavy. So I dropped all other stops, readjusted my gear to close any cavities for water to potentially seep in, and made my way down to the HiWay 7. The rain got even heavier by the time I reached Peterborough, so then I decided I'd rather pay $$ on the 407 than get stuck in rain on the 401.

Was home by 2pm. Bone dry. Thank god for the invention of Gore-Tex!

This was a ride from 2 weeks ago.

The idea was to cover roads I had not been on. Namely - the entire stretch of 518, and the roads around Barry's Bay. A two day ride with a stopover in Pembroke.

Here's the route taken on Sat, 24th Sept:

View attachment 57933

Started off, really early and was on Southwood 13 by 8am

The 518 was fully paved, relatively recently and tbh was the most fun I have had this year! Next, Ravenscliffe was also freshly paved

Stopped by Oxtounge River Rapids on the way

Rode across Algonquin HiWay 60. First time on this highway on 2 wheels. Too crowded. Nothing special. I continued.
I was at Barrys's Bay at around 1pm.

Then I started exploring the roads here. Stopped at the Kamaniskeg Lake Lookout

Met an elderly gentleman here on his KLR and spent almost an hour listening to his experiences over the course of the past few decades.

Letterkenny road:

Crooked Slide Park:

After I had my fill circling Barry's Bay a few times, I rode off to Pembroke and settled in at the Travellers Inn. At $75 a night, it was a good deal

The next day

This was the retun:

View attachment 57936

Cherry Point on 518

The Centennial Lake road is freshly paved, and is a pure delight this time of the year. From there I went down the Buckshort Lake Rd, and there after, the 509. I had plans to explore the region around Ompah further, but it started to rain. At first a drizzle, and then heavy. So I dropped all other stops, readjusted my gear to close any cavities for water to potentially seep in, and made my way down to the HiWay 7. The rain got even heavier by the time I reached Peterborough, so then I decided I'd rather pay $$ on the 407 than get stuck in rain on the 401.

Was home by 2pm. Bone dry. Thank god for the invention of Gore-Tex!

What Gore Tex gear are you rocking?

How did you like Letterkenny road?

It is one of the few roads in the Valley that I have not been on yet.

Seems to be very popular with the cruiser crowd.
I enjoyed it when I was in that area very much. Shows good too but been a while since I watched it.

I liked the sudden changes in elevation. Other than that, nothing special
I've always wondered about that road, seems like a lot of people like it, and I think it takes you to that lookout. Will get out there one day. But from your description doesn't sound much different then say HWY 41 out of Belleville, which was pretty decent more north you went.

Back
Top Bottom