When did pick up trucks turn into cars? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When did pick up trucks turn into cars?

I'll back in if I don't need to load anything in the bed.

Backed into a spot once and had a useless tit in the spot behind me pull right up the back of the truck so I couldn't get the tailgate down.

Considered just dropping the tailgate onto his hood, but I pulled ahead instead to get my sh!t loaded.
That's why you leave the hitch in. It either keeps them back far enough or it exacts revenge for you. Either way, you can load and your truck is undamaged.

Some of us daily drive a pickup AND use it as a pickup...
My F150 crew cab with the 6.5' box has hauled my ass and gear all over North America... South to New Mexico, north to Kenora, East to Nova Scotia and West to Vancouver...
Has also been used for construction projects, dump runs and I dont knoe how many large item pickups....

Just rolled over 375000 km on the odo.
Yep... I drive it around empty most of the time but... it does get used to haul.

'Even towed a bike20210324_151830.jpg

Last edited:
The last generation of the Holden Ute was a great looking vehicle, and I saw plenty for myself in Australia, too. But...discontinued. Seems that Aussies are buying pickup trucks, too, just not the North American full sized models. Rangers were everywhere. And Japanese brands.

My F150 crew cab with the 6.5' box has hauled my ass and gear all over North America... South to New Mexico, north to Kenora, East to Nova Scotia and West to Vancouver...
Has also been used for construction projects, dump runs and I dont knoe how many large item pickups....

Just rolled over 375000 km on the odo.
Yep... I drive it around empty most of the time but... it does get used to haul.

'Even towed a bikeView attachment 47656
Love the PD.

There are a few Holden’s I’ve wished were here over the years.
GM tried a few iterations over the years, but in their grand tradition, managed to screw them all up. I'd love a G8, was always a fan of the understated performance approach.

Just to add I also have a full size promaster sorry Brian but it is a giant turd. The wires are spontaneous breaking in all the doors and light sockets all breaking down and light falling out. The oil filter and intake manifold also spontaneously self destructed first and last FCA product. Has 180000k on it

Sent from my Chesterfield using my thumbs

That's just it. You can't judge what a pick-up is being used for just by eyeballing it in the parking lot of a shopping mall.

Who knows what else it's doing the rest of the time when it's not being used as a grocery-getter?

My truck spent most of last summer looking like this:

i-CMKQ2Kh-XL.jpg

Crew cab? Check.
Short(ish) bed? Check.

But it can haul 4 people and all their snowboards and gear for a week long ski trip around the Rocky Mountains.

And since it's the only 4-wheel vehicle we own, it sure doesn't look like that at the shopping mall.

Then again, we live in rural BC, so *everyone's* truck around here hauls something. Might be a different story in the big sh!tty.

You people need utes. Don't know what your missing.View attachment 47654
I would be pretty happy with a Commodore VF Ute SS with the 6 speed. That's asking a lot I guess... but GM didn't even bring over the Chevy SS from the US here.

Pontiac G8, we hardly knew ye... or the rapidly increasing number of unobtanium parts

There are lots of regulatory reasons that pickups proliferated in the US. For one, truck emissions are based on the plan area of the vehicle. Bigger truck, higher emissions allowed. That's what killed small trucks for a while. You could charge more for big trucks and avoid expensive emissions systems and still pass. Printing money for the manufacturers.
IIRC at one point in one of the recessions, to stimulate spending, the US government had tax kick backs that made buying a truck almost free. Obviously the CEO's didn't want manure haulers and in came the Cadillac interiors. Commercial vehicle sales are one of the economy barometers (When they are used commercially)

Just to add I also have a full size promaster sorry Brian but it is a giant turd. The wires are spontaneous breaking in all the doors and light sockets all breaking down and light falling out. The oil filter and intake manifold also spontaneously self destructed first and last FCA product. Has 180000k on it

Haven't had any of those issues with mine. But mine is at half that mileage, because it only gets used for bike hauling.

I would be pretty happy with a Commodore VF Ute SS with the 6 speed. That's asking a lot I guess... but GM didn't even bring over the Chevy SS from the US here.

Pontiac G8, we hardly knew ye... or the rapidly increasing number of unobtanium parts
We had some great classics too. The HQ and HZ 1 ton uses were awesome.P1040427.jpg

Listowel

I chuckled at the Timmins comment as it was in the back of my head. I don't know if it still holds but back then the biggest P/U dealer in the province was in Timmins. That would have been before the Truckillac came along.

One contractor I know wants to replace his 2012 Ram 4X4 four door long bed with a lightly used , latest generation, mid optioned one.The closest one he could find was in Alberta at $80 K. He almost pushed the button as they are hard to find. Lots of $100K ones with air conditioned leather seats.

He was poking fun at another contractor that just bought a MB Sprinter van at I assume around $60 K.

The good old days when we looked down our noses at the peons that lived in the downtown slums and drove pickups.

Last edited:
Haven't had any of those issues with mine. But mine is at half that mileage, because it only gets used for bike hauling.
Was ok until around 120k then everything made of plastic and the wires started breaking. Design is awesome and super useful materials are garbage.

I went from a 2007 Power Wagon to a 2020 Ram 1500. I used my power wagon for a lot of "truck" stuff, including hauling massive loads and towing at the same time. I now need to tow a small trailer a lot more often, but I would never go back for my needs... all the fancy features of the new trucks (birds eye view, adaptive cruise control, air suspension, split tailgate, ram boxes, etc) indeed make it like a "car" and so much more enjoyable to use as a daily driver or for long hauls. I would still never switch to an SUV though, I need the functionality of an open box.

I will say however it's laughable that a truck has a payload of less than 950 lbs though. 5 large guys and you're already over the limit!

k3q7jwl.png

That's just it. You can't judge what a pick-up is being used for just by eyeballing it in the parking lot of a shopping mall.

Who knows what else it's doing the rest of the time when it's not being used as a grocery-getter?

My truck spent most of last summer looking like this:

i-CMKQ2Kh-XL.jpg

Crew cab? Check.
Short(ish) bed? Check.

But it can haul 4 people and all their snowboards and gear for a week long ski trip around the Rocky Mountains.

And since it's the only 4-wheel vehicle we own, it sure doesn't look like that at the shopping mall.

Then again, we live in rural BC, so *everyone's* truck around here hauls something. Might be a different story in the big sh!tty.

I’m a big fan of the taco

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

it's got to do with costs as well. the price difference and fuel economy between a full size and midsize truck is small.
if you don't need to go into the city regularly, it didn't make sense to get a midsize. they also didn't have any good options for awhile.

the recent midsize resurgence have been doing well, a few manufacturers are coming out with car-based unibody pickups in the next year or two (ford/hyundai).
Father went from a Ranger with the 4.0V6 that was a couple years old in 2014 to a new F150 with the 5.0V8 and his fuel economy was better in the 150. Like stated, mid-sized options weren't that great in that time era and full-sized were getting better.

I'll back in if I don't need to load anything in the bed.

Backed into a spot once and had a useless tit in the spot behind me pull right up the back of the truck so I couldn't get the tailgate down.

Considered just dropping the tailgate onto his hood, but I pulled ahead instead to get my sh!t loaded.

If they're over the line, they're fair game.

Back
Top Bottom