When did pick up trucks turn into cars? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When did pick up trucks turn into cars?

I asked a dealer a while ago - they get next to no demand for short cab, long box trucks and its a 4 month wait for a build-to-order.
Contractors buy vans.
My buddy's Tundra died, and he ended up buying an F150 with the extended cab/bed (granite work). He said there was almost no chance in hell of seeing one available, and a dealer just got one in, and there was already appointments for later that day to see it. Ridiculous amount of interest in them, and compared to a 70k Tundra....the 48k F150 was a no brainer.

I asked a dealer a while ago - they get next to no demand for short cab, long box trucks and its a 4 month wait for a build-to-order.
Contractors buy vans.

landscapers use those but majority don't buy new and run old trucks into the ground.

just looked at the new ram 1500 and they got rid of the regular cab, long and short box.

Contractors buy vans.
Wrong dealer mine always has 10 or 20 long box reg cabs on the lot

Why does anyone care what someone else drives?
I care for a variety of reasons, despite driving an F-150 with crew cab and short box myself. I have to drive it for work, but I don't like it (tried to make an Accord work with a trailer, but it was a bad idea).

First, there's the environmental impact, which is debatable in the grand scheme, but is still broadly wasteful for 95% of what I see these trucks used for. Second, there's the safety of others on the roads, either those in smaller vehicles or pedestrians (modern trucks with their wannabe big rig styling are deadly). Third, I hate that the only way to get a useful fun car like a station wagon means I have to spend a lot more than I'd like on something European. With everyone buying pickups and lardy SUV's, the market isn't there for domestic wagons, which irritates me.

I care for a variety of reasons, despite driving an F-150 with crew cab and short box myself. I have to drive it for work, but I don't like it (tried to make an Accord work with a trailer, but it was a bad idea).

First, there's the environmental impact, which is debatable in the grand scheme, but is still broadly wasteful for 95% of what I see these trucks used for. Second, there's the safety of others on the roads, either those in smaller vehicles or pedestrians (modern trucks with their wannabe big rig styling are deadly). Third, I hate that the only way to get a useful fun car like a station wagon means I have to spend a lot more than I'd like on something European. With everyone buying pickups and lardy SUV's, the market isn't there for domestic wagons, which irritates me.
Sounds like you should be contacting your MPP then as these are issues that would need a change in law. I would love a truck but they are pricey and like most it is not something I really need. Station wagons are that happy medium and I have been very happy with my Subaru Outback. It is as much "truck" as I need, hauls my kayak and a load of junk in the back with all the seats down. Not a lot of options unfortunately for station wagons, especially ones that are more rugged.

I've had 4 different trucks in my driving history. All crew cabs, have a family now and even before I would drive friends around regularly enough that 4 full doors made more sense, camping is one example.

Had a ridgeline, great truck for 90% of people. preaching to the choir now.

Had one longer bed, 6.5ft frontier but even that one wouldn't haul a bike with tailgate closed unless bike was at an angle. Always just had the tailgate half closed (you loop the wire around the stop). never had a problem with this. hauled tons of bikes over the years.

Why have a truck with a small bed? full length bed would be nice, but either ends up being a long-ass thing or I lose seating room. I use the backseats more than I use the bed so that's why.

Why not just get an SUV/wagon/car and tow a trailer? I have a trailer but for most of my truck uses, the trailer is overkill but the items don't fit in an SUV/wagon/car. Also, I can hose out the bed or go through a carwash.

People love to bash on trucks. Why do you need that, you don't haul or tow. It's the same with sports cars and fast bikes, most people use the full abilities or need it.

It's nice to have the capability when I need it, than not have it when I do.
Fair points, but when someone drops 80grand on a new truck and uses it to make solo runs to Dairy Queen I’ll continue to roll my eyes.

Why does anyone care what someone else drives?
You haven’t seen the guys in the parking lots flashing keys or purposely locking/unlocking to get attention?

Count yourself lucky.

You haven’t seen the guys in the parking lots flashing keys or purposely locking/unlocking to get attention?

I thought they were just trying to figure out which F-150 was theirs:

Ford_F-150_vehicles_at_dealership_tomeng_Getty_Images_large.jpg

My fathers 2011 Ram is too pretty to scratch. Whenever I need to load anything I rent a POS so I don't have to deal with scratching his truck.

I thought they were just trying to figure out which F-150 was theirs:

Ford_F-150_vehicles_at_dealership_tomeng_Getty_Images_large.jpg
I know it's a dealer but even without the window stickers, you would never find that in a public parking lot in Ontario. The number of people that back in is abysmal. If anything, I think trucks do it even less (as so many are bought by useless tits).

I know it's a dealer but even without the window stickers, you would never find that in a public parking lot in Ontario. The number of people that back in is abysmal. If anything, I think trucks do it even less (as so many are bought by useless tits).

I'll back in if I don't need to load anything in the bed.

Backed into a spot once and had a useless tit in the spot behind me pull right up the back of the truck so I couldn't get the tailgate down.

Considered just dropping the tailgate onto his hood, but I pulled ahead instead to get my sh!t loaded.

Back
Top Bottom