When did pick up trucks turn into cars? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When did pick up trucks turn into cars?

the 80k truck owner probably has a boat, sled, atv or RV they pull with it. Just because you get the full use a handful of times a year going to the cottage, etc. doesn't mean you need to prove your use.

there's people that ride their bikes less times a year, even on here.

Just checked an UHAUL doesn't really rent anything that would fit 3 comfortably and haul.
Thinking of driving out non-stop to Calgary, unload bikes and ride to the coast with 2 or 3 friends. Looks like I'll have to take my own truck.

People are bothered by different things? I travelled with 3 people who couldn’t stand a Rooster near our villa in the morning. By day 3 they were ready to turn it into the next meal. I appreciated the wake up call and couldn’t care less that the Rooster was doing Rooster things.

bring them to visit Kauai, Hawaii. they have more cocks n chicks than we have squirrels. roam everywhere and call any time of day.
beautiful place though.

when I got my hitch installed (UHaul) the installer said it was an $800 fine to leave the hitch/ball in the receiver. Not sure that's true because I've seen so many left in place. That said it's easy to see the danger of it coming out at speed.

People are bothered by different things? I travelled with 3 people who couldn’t stand a Rooster near our villa in the morning. By day 3 they were ready to turn it into the next meal. I appreciated the wake up call and couldn’t care less that the Rooster was doing Rooster things.
Maybe I am not experiencing the same level of horn honking you are. A rooster I can see as being annoying if it wakes you up and not a morning person. A car horn when someone locks their car/truck just seems to be on a different level for me and not even noticeable as it is so common place.

when I got my hitch installed (UHaul) the installer said it was an $800 fine to leave the hitch/ball in the receiver. Not sure that's true because I've seen so many left in place. That said it's easy to see the danger of it coming out at speed.
urban myth, I've heard this too. in Ontario, it's only illegal if it blocks your plate.

I take mine off for 2 main reasons, i've hit it too many times with my shins and I don't have a lock for it, not risking someone taking it while I'm out.

Well if it comes out that's an unsecured load ticket. Although if it comes out you have way bigger problems as you needed at least two failures to go unnoticed to get there (clip/lock and pin).

You can get a ticket for obstructed plate if it blocks it (probably mainly a problem with old school bumper mount balls).

Apparently, one of the origins of that story was some kids with a 5' tongue extension to support a canoe with no flag/lights. That seems like a reasonable ticket that wouldn't apply to the vast majority of tongues.

Here is another law that has been used by moron prick cops with nothing better to do. They argue contravention of d. This is part of a safety inspection not a normal roadside enforced HTA law.

HTA OREG 611 Vehicle Safety Inspections
Schedule 1
1. (1) The body, sheet metal and equipment shall be inspected and tested for conditions hazardous to occupants, pedestrians or vehicles and,
(a) no bumper, fender or mudguard shall have been removed;
(b) each bumper shall be securely mounted;
(d) no bumper, fender, molding or other part shall have a broken, bent or sharp edge that protrudes in such a way as to constitute a hazard to persons or vehicles;

Nope
It's not illegal till it sticks out one meter, then if you put a red flag on it, it's legal again.
... blocking the plate is another matter.
... and last time I checked it was $142 fine with a victim surcharge.

I have a class 3 hitch, if someone hits it with any force they'll bend my frame, not the class 3 hitch... but they'll probably get a trailer ball installed in the front of their motor.

My buddy's Tundra died, and he ended up buying an F150 with the extended cab/bed (granite work). He said there was almost no chance in hell of seeing one available, and a dealer just got one in, and there was already appointments for later that day to see it. Ridiculous amount of interest in them, and compared to a 70k Tundra....the 48k F150 was a no brainer.
There is no 70k extended cab Tundra....but I get your point.

There is no 70k extended cab Tundra....but I get your point.
I don’t know enough about trucks lol but they need the longer cab for carrying large granite slabs apparently and the standard bed is fine...most of the time. Until it’s too short.

For the hitch, I have seen them fail due to unseen corrosion. Removing them from the receiver prevents that.

Now this is not going to happen overnight, the cases I know of were a good 10 years of hidden corrosion.

For the hitch, I have seen them fail due to unseen corrosion. Removing them from the receiver prevents that.

Now this is not going to happen overnight, the cases I know of were a good 10 years of hidden corrosion.
I pull the tongues every year, bang them a bit to make sure it is just surface rust, spray the receiver and tongue with WD-40 or some used motor oil and reassemble.

Extended cab (door and a half) Tundra is called a double cab and can only get it in SR5 trim. Probably around mid 50’s loaded.

Crewmax is full 4 door crew cab.

when I got my hitch installed (UHaul) the installer said it was an $800 fine to leave the hitch/ball in the receiver.

Ask them to show you what section of the highway traffic act shows that fine.

Tell them you'll wait. Get comfortable...as they'll never find it. It doesn't exist. Another wife's tale that people just "heard from some guy on the internet" and blindly believe and run with it.

Anyhow, on the topic of pickups.....the marketing in the last 10-15 years has convinced people that pulling a trailer with a car is akin to heresy. If you dare pull ANYTHING with a car you'll all die in a fiery crash.

This ignores the reality that a lot of cars are actually better suited to pulling a trailer than some of the pavement princess pickup trucks on the roads today that are overloaded with a cinderblock and a 2x4 from Home Depot in the back. Lots of cars out there with huge brakes, lots of power, low centres of gravity (actually really important when towing), similar wheelbases, and more than enough power. And tow ratings to boot. But a good portion of the "my penis is bigger than yours because I drive a TRUCK!" crowd lose their **** when they see a picture of a car pulling a jetski or something silly small, much less something like (Gasp!) a tent trailer or something.

Last edited:
Anyhow, on the topic of pickups.....the marketing in the last 10-15 years has convinced people that pulling a trailer with a car is akin to heresy. If you dare pull ANYTHING with a car you'll all die in a fiery crash.

This ignores the reality that a lot of cars are actually better suited to pulling a trailer than some of the pavement princess pickup trucks on the roads today that are overloaded with a cinderblock and 2x4 from Home Depot in the back. Lots of cars out there with huge brakes, lots of power, low centres of gravity (actually really important when towing), similar wheelbases, and more than enough power. And tow ratings to boot. But a good portion of the "my penis is bigger than yours because I drive a TRUCK!" crowd lose their **** when they see a picture of a car pulling a jetski or something silly small, much less something like (Gasp!) a tent trailer or something.

I don't disagree. But I bought a truck to put stuff in the bed, so I don't have to tow a trailer.

Although sometimes, it does both...

i-p8vKLfF-XL.jpg

aw man, thats such a rip job. Tundras are severely outdated and need a full re do. this current model has gone largely unchanged since 2007!

Good on toyota for milking it and getting suckers to buy. There is an all new tundra coming in 22
Ya but same as their normal cars....Toyota equals quality. All my buddies in granite want nothing more than a Tundra. Apparently that’s the end all be all in that line of work.

‘you got a tundra? Wow....must be making mad money!’

Back
Top Bottom