What's your plans (or dreams?) in retirement? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's your plans (or dreams?) in retirement?

We budget 15k a year + or - for travel, one big trip or a couple small ones now. When we retire we will travel a lot in the couple decades, then I'm sure I wont be skiing big mountains or crossing oceans short handed at 75ish. Then the insurance will just suck the fun out.

I know so many people that didnt see all the sights they wish they did, then time and health changed the program. I'd like to limit my regrets.

We budget 15k a year + or - for travel, one big trip or a couple small ones now. When we retire we will travel a lot in the couple decades, then I'm sure I wont be skiing big mountains or crossing oceans short handed at 75ish. Then the insurance will just suck the fun out.

I know so many people that didnt see all the sights they wish they did, then time and health changed the program. I'd like to limit my regrets.
I got all that done before 50. I haven't seen everything, but I've seen enough and there are no destinations on my wishlist today.

Travel in my retirement will be spontaneous. I watched One Week to Live last night. I saw first watched is about 10 years ago that type of journey appeals to me (hopefully not under the same motivation as Ben Taylor). There film has a cameo with Gord Downey, it became ironic when I watched it last night.

I know so many people that didnt see all the sights they wish they did, then time and health changed the program

We're kinda on the same page. We easily spend about the same on vacations and frivolous things like trips on the motorcycles, etc etc. I don't want to retire and be unable to enjoy myself, and that's actually quite possible for me at least.

Life isn't a dry rehearsal, you only get one lap around the track, might as well go around with a smile on your face.

Everyone's retirement travel thoughts are different, we've managed 28 ? countries so far and there are a few returns in order. My wife hasn't been in Hawaii since she was a teenager, I went to Peru three years ago without her and would like to take her there, 5 years ago I was in the south pacific for an extended time and I'd like her to see Tahiti and BoraBora. She's been in every American state and speaks of Louisianna with fondness.

I had an Alaskan cruise booked when covid hit, we have 'tentative' booked a camper for Newfoundland next July, a safari in South Africa next September and a sailboat trip around NZ two years out.
Its a big planet and there is a lot to see.

I wish I could get more excited about overseas destinations, but I'm not particularly a history buff (I'd rather go somewhere with epic scenery vs old stuff to stand and look at which is why Iceland is on my list) and I do tend to compare everything against the cost of a cruise. We could spend $9-10K for a huge glorious trip overseas somewhere with all the trimmings, or we could go on 2 (maybe 3 lol) cruises for that amount of money. And I do enjoy cruising - my waistline is testament to that. ;)

I wish I could get more excited about overseas destinations, but I'm not particularly a history buff (I'd rather go somewhere with epic scenery vs old stuff to stand and look at which is why Iceland is on my list) and I do tend to compare everything against the cost of a cruise. We could spend $9-10K for a huge glorious trip overseas somewhere with all the trimmings, or we could go on 2 (maybe 3 lol) cruises for that amount of money. And I do enjoy cruising - my waistline is testament to that. ;)

Just a heads up to anyone that enjoys going on cruise ships to please either avoid cruises that stop in Venice or ensure that your cruise at least doesn't pass in front of St Marks. The huge ships are literally destroying the city due to excessive dredging etc. and locals are extremely hostile, but the cruise companies have paid enough to the local government that the complaints get ignored. Don't take my word for it, please do a quick Google and read a bit about how it's affecting the city, especially coming from those who live there.

I'm not passing judgement on cruising as a form of travel, though it's not for me. Any travel has an impact, positive and negative, but in this case cruises in particular are extremely destructive.

Everyone's retirement travel thoughts are different, we've managed 28 ? countries so far and there are a few returns in order. My wife hasn't been in Hawaii since she was a teenager, I went to Peru three years ago without her and would like to take her there, 5 years ago I was in the south pacific for an extended time and I'd like her to see Tahiti and BoraBora. She's been in every American state and speaks of Louisianna with fondness.

I had an Alaskan cruise booked when covid hit, we have 'tentative' booked a camper for Newfoundland next July, a safari in South Africa next September and a sailboat trip around NZ two years out.
Its a big planet and there is a lot to see.
Safari is dope, went to the Serengeti & Ngorongoro Crater in December of '18.

Amazing.

20181228_071913.jpg
20181227_065621.jpg

20181227_192132.jpg20181226_151412.jpg20181225_123454.jpg

Won't catch me on a boat for a long long time. Too much of this stuff to enjoy.

We have a South African friend living here , with a lot of family still back home in three countries. She has offered to 'guide' a group , which does two things, safe travel, and about half the cost or less than an organized tour. Just need Covid behind us.....

My first trip into Venice was via private boat, moored outside the city, dock space and mooring inside the breakwall is for Saudi princes and British Industrialists, crazy expensive. We went back 2 years later , via cruise ship, and went up the grand canal past St Marks sq and docked in ghe inland basin about 2kms from the sea. It was an experience but I do see the down side. The city has no real business anymore except tourism. Victims of their own success.
We were there last yr, took the train LOL. We rented a 6 bedroom house for a month in Panzano (tuscany). If I never see Rome or Venice again, I could just walk and eat/drink in Tuscany and be happy.

Wife really wants to see St Petersburg Russia, and I need to see Scandinavia, that's going to wreck the annual budget.

Wife really wants to see St Petersburg Russia, and I need to see Scandinavia, that's going to wreck the annual budget.
Does she know you'll want a divorce the instant you land?

We have a South African friend living here , with a lot of family still back home in three countries. She has offered to 'guide' a group , which does two things, safe travel, and about half the cost or less than an organized tour. Just need Covid behind us.....

My first trip into Venice was via private boat, moored outside the city, dock space and mooring inside the breakwall is for Saudi princes and British Industrialists, crazy expensive. We went back 2 years later , via cruise ship, and went up the grand canal past St Marks sq and docked in ghe inland basin about 2kms from the sea. It was an experience but I do see the down side. The city has no real business anymore except tourism. Victims of their own success.
We were there last yr, took the train LOL. We rented a 6 bedroom house for a month in Panzano (tuscany). If I never see Rome or Venice again, I could just walk and eat/drink in Tuscany and be happy.

haha. yes St. Petersburg is on the bucket list, i have a thing for Gothic architecture.

Lived in Sweden for 4 years a lifetime ago, great place, great people.

We went back 2 years later , via cruise ship, and went up the grand canal past St Marks sq and docked in ghe inland basin about 2kms from the sea. It was an experience but I do see the down side. The city has no real business anymore except tourism. Victims of their own success.
I don't think anyone in Venice is naive enough to think that they're not going to be almost entirely dependent on tourism for the foreseeable. The issue is more around making that tourism sustainable and workable for the residents and small businesses in the city. Cruise passengers spend significantly less per capita than tourists who actually stay in the city, and the volumes of passengers dumped into the same short area (between Rialto Bridge and St. Marks) create all sorts of issues for those inside and outside that strip.

There's also a bit of Italian snobbery about it all, as cruise passengers are more likely to stick near those main sights and spend money at the cheap souvenir shops and terrible picture menu restaurants that have come to dominate those areas. This upsets locals, who want to see locally produced, handcrafted goods (masks, glass, lace, etc.) sell rather than cheap Chinese made replicas.

Add the massive pollution, the dredging, the wake, etc., and the Grandi Navi are highly problematic. Almost nobody in Venice that I know or have spoken to wants to see tourism stop. On the contrary, they're acutely aware of how critical it is in order to pay for the very expensive upkeep on the city as a whole. But they want to see it controlled so that it doesn't destroy everything that makes the city such a popular destination in the first place, and the mega cruise ships are a huge source of that problem.

Cruises are not for me, but they are obviously very appealing to huge numbers of people who prefer the minimum stress type of travel that they offer. Nobody needs to apologise for that. But I would hope that people taking these trips would do some research about the impact the big boats have on their stops, and ask questions of the cruise lines about how they mitigate some of the negatives.

Short-stay apartment rentals can have negative social impacts as well, and we've been guilty of that on previous visits. Having done some research, we've decided to stay in hotels going forward. It may not make much difference in the big picture, but better to spend a bit more to sleep with a clean(er) conscience...

I have known a few people who die with dreams left inside them, Live your dreams today while you can enjoy life. Tomorrow will take care of itself

So true . Due to stress in my profession many don't see retirement. Many see only a few years . I then had a healthcare issue a few years ago . I stopped waiting for retirement that may never come . I live the best life I can within my means . I travel as much as I can .

Does she know you'll want a divorce the instant you land?

I completely understand the risks LOL . One of the small secrets (not so secret) is a good retirement plan usually includes keeping half your stuff and half your money. And keeping 100% of future money in the big pot, not sending transfer payments to the nice house you used to live in.

One of my good friends says divorce is expensive , because all the really good things in life are expensive and sometimes worth it. I'm going to try hard to keep my starter wife on the program.

Given that you like this kind of stuff, if you haven't already, you might really like a trip into Uganda or Rwanda to see mountain gorilla's in the wild. It's a life changing experience!
Sister in law went last year, she was about 10 ft from a family. Ridiculous pictures

The world is full of amazing, you could spend your life experiencing new things and you wouldn't see it all.

I've seen enough to be satisfied. The epicness of the next unvisited place started meaning less and less to me, enjoying my vacation time is now more important than the sights.

This summer I took a couple of weeks in northern Ontario - relaxing, good service, most of the amenities I needed, met lots of interesting people and learned some cultural things that surprised me.

The enjoyment level on par with any of the more epic vacations I have taken. Next summer I’m thinking of a cruise around Lake Ontario.

T Next summer I’m thinking of a cruise around Lake Ontario.

Stay clear of the Thousand Islands the last 2 weeks of July (quebec construction week holidays??) . Kingston is " safe " but the Gannonaque and east is a literal crap show of speedos, ill fitted bikinis and 24ft powerboats running gen sets on the swim platform to power the A/C .

I like the west end of the lake, not one rock to hit LOL

Back
Top Bottom