What's your plans (or dreams?) in retirement? | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's your plans (or dreams?) in retirement?

The flag on your backpack used to mean "not an American" which actually carried a lot of value around the world. At a time we were loved around the planet

Now it means I'm not from here and if you mug me, I don't have time to visit local police and report this crap, because the local cop is probably in on it. Look as little like a tourist as possible.
Worst are those name tags for walking tours, the tags translates into " I'm off the cruise ship and in town for 6hrs, pickpocket me"
I don think it matters if you dress in a flag, or disguise yourself perfectly in local costume — petty criminals can always spot a tourist.

Announcing you are Canadian wont protect you against crime, and nobody rolls out a red carpet for you when the see it — but i can tell you it does buy you some additional common courtesy in many parts of the world.

I’ve felt it in customs inspection when the see my Canadian passport, in hotels when I check in, at trade venues when the recognized my Canadian business.

reminds me of that scene in syriana, american spy pretends to be a canadian to avoid suspicion

Do you remember the gongshow about a decade ago when they had to close the gift shop at CSIS headquarters, our 'secret agents' thought it was cool to wear CSIS lapel pins on their suits. Like an Austin Powers movie....

:cool: I bought it

2021-TRRS-One-RR-first-look-observed-trials-motorcycle-1.jpg

The only trials bike I have ever ridden was a 69 B25, a lot has changed since then.

You should post your defloration video.

I rode the 300 when it first came out and loved it but could not start it to save my life. Power is incredible, you can plug it down low in 4th gear and it will still draw your arms out of their sockets, the frame is rigid as **** and the weight is 20 pounds lighter then what I'm use to, TRS are wicked nice riding bikes.
... and the local TRS dealer is the best in the world.

:cool: I bought it

2021-TRRS-One-RR-first-look-observed-trials-motorcycle-1.jpg
Sexy...

@SVeezy Would love to ride one also, but no clue where in the GTA one can do so anyway. Maybe rip through a park and hope I don't get caught. Have heard a few bikes rip through parks this summer at night.

This weekend looks like it's going to be nice, some other riders are coming to ride.

All good points. Reading back, I think maybe I gave the impression that I was lecturing you on how to travel in Italy 'properly', which certainly wasn't the intent. I was just trying to share some of the stuff I've picked up that has helped us change the experience there, more for folks like Big Poppa who haven't been yet. I know so many who do the whirlwind thing in Rome and spend three days standing in lines and insane crowds for the same short-list of attractions (Coliseum, St. Pete's, Vatican Museum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps etc.) and have an awful time.

We had a great 2 week trip to Venice and Rome 2 years ago over Christmas and New Years. Had great rental houses in both places. Even got the Pope's New Year address.

We had a great 2 week trip to Venice and Rome 2 years ago over Christmas and New Years. Had great rental houses in both places. Even got the Pope's New Year address.
Been to Venice and Rome. Didn't get to see the Pope, but my wife got pickpocketed in the Vatican City post office. Did a two month stint mostly in Deutschland back when we were kids, and have travelled around, sometimes with our kids, ever since.

In Rome, I did what the ancient Romans did: Walked. It was about 3 or 4 km from the hotel to the Vatican, I walked. On seeing an enormous line-up to get in, I passed. Walked into St Peters Square, there were people around but it wasn't jam-packed. When you walk past a church, have a look inside. Want an espresso? Pop into a cafe and get one.

Walked to the Coliseum. Jam packed with hordes of people all around, and evidently, inside as well. Nope. I walked around the outside of it. This was around lunchtime ... I stopped into a place that looked interesting and ate there.

There are plenty of places to see, between churches, ancient ruins, archaeological sites, and museums.

In Rome, I did what the ancient Romans did: Walked. It was about 3 or 4 km from the hotel to the Vatican, I walked. On seeing an enormous line-up to get in, I passed. Walked into St Peters Square, there were people around but it wasn't jam-packed. When you walk past a church, have a look inside. Want an espresso? Pop into a cafe and get one.

Walked to the Coliseum. Jam packed with hordes of people all around, and evidently, inside as well. Nope. I walked around the outside of it. This was around lunchtime ... I stopped into a place that looked interesting and ate there.

There are plenty of places to see, between churches, ancient ruins, archaeological sites, and museums.

This is 100% the best way to see the city. For someone on a first visit, drawing a ring from the Vatican to Piazza del Popolo to the Coliseum to Trastevere will give an entirely walkable area that has incredible density. It's all that random stuff you describe that exposes the incredible 3,000 year sweep of history that makes Rome unique. You can see republican, imperial, medieval, renaissance, baroque, unification, fascist and modern Rome, all in the space of a few blocks. A lot of the magic comes from finding small pieces of that history that aren't in the guidebooks: a church in Trastevere with a Bernini sculpture tucked away, a courtyard with ancient statues, a corner of an ancient insula absorbed into a newer building, a restaurant with a wine cellar that's 2,500 years old, etc.

Don't get me wrong, we take taxis a lot (there's an app that works a lot like Uber for the official white city taxis that makes it so easy), as it's worth the cost sometimes to get straight from A to B as quickly as possible. But walking is where you see the details that matter...

You're in trouble if your retirement plans are to world travel, might want to take up a few other hobbies
just incase you don't win the lottery.

Back
Top Bottom