What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 21 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

New folding work table and French cleats with more to come

K93cyTp.png
you need a 2nd battery

I had a recent misadventure on my Guzzi, which among other things, broke the exhaust heat shield at the passenger peg (about $75CAD, and who knows how many months waiting for Guzzi).

Screw that! I'll make it myself. 0.125" 6061 T6. Not too difficult, though a bit tricky to bend. And who doesn't enjoy a little fabrication? Not perfect, but no one can tell from three feet away.

IMG_20210502_163851193.jpegIMG_20210617_180059992.jpegIMG_20210618_175222710.jpegIMG_20210619_112047634.jpegIMG_20210619_125958925.jpeg

Wrestling with wheels and tires on my DRZ400SM. Am taking it to the track and wanted to get the knobbies off and put Q3s on. I'm not used to dealing with tubes, and everything seems to be fighting me right now. It's a real pain.

Topper; after I got the front wheel bolted back up and everything torqued to spec, I realized that I hadn't balanced the wheel. SMH, now I'm wondering how bad it could be and should I bother taking it off again and balancing...

Ran dot tires on my Ducati track bike for years. Never balanced the rear and the front had the same weights on it for the entire time i owned it.

Wrestling with wheels and tires on my DRZ400SM. Am taking it to the track and wanted to get the knobbies off and put Q3s on. I'm not used to dealing with tubes, and everything seems to be fighting me right now. It's a real pain.

Topper; after I got the front wheel bolted back up and everything torqued to spec, I realized that I hadn't balanced the wheel. SMH, now I'm wondering how bad it could be and should I bother taking it off again and balancing...
Spin it a few times and see if the same spot always ends up at the bottom. Not perfect but something. How fast do you plan on going? I've never had front wheel balance issues unless I am in 172 territory (not saying they can't happen, they just haven't happened to me).

set up my top case on the CB300F. At least it matches. 🥴
fiddly work but lots of dry secure space now.
biketop.jprg.jpg
Fixed the headlight and turn signals on the KLR650. Could not crack the hex bolts on the rear rotor so off to the dealer tomorrow,

Any tips to share from your experience? I'm about to do my first tube tire install on my SXV in the next couple days. Some people recommend mounting the first tire bead before the tube, and to add a bit of air in the tube to give it a bit of shape to keep it from twisting. I'm tempted to do a tubeless conversion, but not sure whether to go ghetto and use silicone vs. a commercially available kit using some kind of tape.

Any tips to share from your experience? I'm about to do my first tube tire install on my SXV in the next couple days. Some people recommend mounting the first tire bead before the tube, and to add a bit of air in the tube to give it a bit of shape to keep it from twisting. I'm tempted to do a tubeless conversion, but not sure whether to go ghetto and use silicone vs. a commercially available kit using some kind of tape.
I'm just getting used to tubes. (Harley buddy).
Yes, get one bead on, then slide the tube in......don't handle the tube with the valve stem.
The key is soaking the piss outta the tube, with your lube of choice.
As the 2nd bead goes on carefully, just feel for the tube without airing it up.

Spin it a few times and see if the same spot always ends up at the bottom. Not perfect but something. How fast do you plan on going? I've never had front wheel balance issues unless I am in 172 territory (not saying they can't happen, they just haven't happened to me).
Bike is being prepped for the track. I am not sure exactly how fast I'll end up going; the DRZ isn't exactly a sport bike...

tips? Sure. Kick it over, set it on fire and buy a bike with tubeless tires.

*&%$ing hate tubes.

I'm just getting used to tubes. (Harley buddy).
Yes, get one bead on, then slide the tube in......don't handle the tube with the valve stem.
The key is soaking the piss outta the tube, with your lube of choice.
As the 2nd bead goes on carefully, just feel for the tube without airing it up.
Ive done lots of tubes for bicycles. I always inflate the tube some and have no issues.

I tried to replace a tube in an 8" trailer tire. Bleeping disaster. Used lots of swearing and lots of lube and pinched the tube. Threw the whole thing in the garbage and bought a new wheel with tire already mounted.

I agree with light cycle. If the beads are tight, burn it to the ground or pay someone else.

Ive done lots of tubes for bicycles. I always inflate the tube some and have no issues.

I tried to replace a tube in an 8" trailer tire. Bleeping disaster. Used lots of swearing and lots of lube and pinched the tube. Threw the whole thing in the garbage and bought a new wheel with tire already mounted.

I agree with light cycle. If the beads are tight, burn it to the ground or pay someone else.
Try doing all that with a rigid sidewall and then squeezing a bead lock in there...

Now try doing that trailside.

Baby powder, or talcum powder in the tire makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

The trick to changing small diameter tube tires is lube, a few clamps for the tire itself and then taking the time to set up a scrap piece of plywood with a long bolt that goes through the wood and the axle of the wheel. Then use a large washer and nut to hold the wheel in place. If you don't do this much of the frustration comes from needing 3 or 4 hands to hold the wheel down while you're trying to get the &^%$% tire off and then back on without pinching the tube.

Bought a weber genesis for $200. Brand new but something bad had happened to it after it was assembled. A bit of tin knocking and it is ready to go. Not perfect, but compared to other bbq's for $200, it's hard to beat. Both doors, both side trays and control panel needed significant straightening. Stickers all over it, missing small wheels. Took a few hours but refurb cost was zero.

d495aadd-f93a-4bf6-9f58-a4610c6c6ac1_fullsize.jpg

20210710-094544.jpg

Thatnks for those tube tips. My friend's tires arrived before mine, so he got to be the guinea pig. 150 rear was pretty easy. We threw some talcum powder into the tire, mounted the first bead, then the tube (with a little air in it), then the second bead. We went slow to make sure we didn't pinch the tube with the duck head, then double-checked the tube was clear before seating the beads. With the narrower front rim and stiff sidewall, getting the valve in place was tricky.

Back
Top Bottom