What are you reading? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are you reading?

Pierre burton while a bit dated , wrote great books on Canadian history .

I’m just finishing the 200yr history of Westely Richard’s , arguably the best British gun maker of the last centuries .
I don’t read fiction , spend an hour in my head , you’ll know why .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Tough read .. I prefer reality too..
Hidden Mountains By Michael Wejchert

on to the girl riders
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at Feb, 7    2023    4.17.41 PM.jpg
There is one 23 year old Dutch rider on her first Dakar with little experience was toe to toe with the experienced independents many who had a number of Dakar tries.
I suspect a smaller durable bike was a key. Need to chase her down.

Her

Pilot profile

Mirjam Pol is proud to say she is the only woman to have raced the Dakar in three continents: Africa, where she discovered the might and the beauty of the event in 2006 and 2007; South America, whose magical deserts hosted the event for 11 editions; and now Saudi Arabia, with sandy conditions the Dutch biker loves. She is about to have another badge of honour to boast about: the 2023 Dakar is Pol’s 10th participation, consolidating her status as a “Legend” of the event. Winner of the women bike ranking in 2009, she’s ready for more adventures in the desert where her consistency will once again be essential to reach the finish, as she did on eight occasions out of nine previous participations.

M.P.: “Ten Dakars make you a Legend! But most of all, I think it shows the journey you’ve been through. When I came for the first time, I thought it would be a one time thing. I was just 22 years old; I was a young female, without rally experience. No one expected me to finish. But I did it. I was unsure about coming back. I had done it, why go again? But as the event came closer, I had this funny feeling and I just wanted to go again. Then, during my second Dakar, I already knew I would return the following year. There are two options with Dakar: either you do it once and never again, or you get addicted. I got addicted. Now I’m happy to have ten Dakars because there aren’t many riders who get to do that much.
The biggest challenge of rally racing in general is not to make any mistake. The perfect Dakar is a boring Dakar from the start to the end. If you’re coming to the bivouac without a good story to tell, that’s a good sign: you didn’t crash, you didn’t get lost, you didn’t get into any big problems… But I don’t think it’s possible! You always come back with a story.”
Enjoyed the book and Elspeth has quite a life. Definitely worth a read.....no sugar coating.

Last edited:
bugger ....cliff hanger and no sign of the follow on being available even tho announced and she's dead ... grrrr.

•••

Same author ( nom de plume ), rather dire - part of a series of crime novels...we shall see

Thank you so much @nakkers for the recommendation….wonderful book…sad story. Just finished it.

ROBIN was great.

Now…off to ‘******** Jobs’ starting tomorrow.

enjoying this

0316027111.jpg

Really got into this - highly recommended. (y) (y)
Read this when it first came out and really enjoyed it as well.

This was also a good one.
1676940072693.png

Neither Mississauga or Toronto library have these Long Way Round and Down…
I have them both.
You can rent them from my biblioteka.

I seem to be missing my Race to Dakar book. :confused:

1676941881572.png

Last edited:
I shall take you up on this offer.
I should be in your area by the end of the week. I will bring them with me and drop them off. I'll let you know when in case you are or are not home.

Back
Top Bottom