What are you reading? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are you reading?

Jeez.

I had to read Finnegan's Wake for a university course I once took.

The course was called, "Books everyone considers brilliant, but nobody enjoys reading"...
I believe that's how I'd rate my reading of "Portrait of an artist as a young man"

Haha, I enjoyed Dubliners and kinda into dry ass books I guess...Although finishing Moby Dick is probably one of the crowning achievements of my life so far :)
Moby Dick is a little long winded at times I found. Oddly the first few pages had me in stitches and I thought it was going to be a comical read. Not!

I was okay until he starting talking about string theory and 11 dimensions. I struggle with 3 most of the time... especially when riding motorcycles...

There are better way of explaining string theory. I just listened to a Neil DeGrasse Tyson podcast where he did a layman's explanation of string theory. It made perfect sense. Until I tried to re-explain it to my wife, and then realized I didn't understand string theory at all...
Try "The Theoretical Minimums" by Lenoard Susskind

I like Susskind in his explanations of all things quantum and his explanation provides as much clarity without getting too much into the math.

Moby Dick is a little long winded at times I found. Oddly the first few pages had me in stitches and I thought it was going to be a comical read. Not!
It's exactly what it was. So many times I threw that book at the wall.

Try "The Theoretical Minimums" by Lenoard Susskind

I like Susskind in his explanations of all things quantum and his explanation provides as much clarity without getting too much into the math.

Yep, I saw a YouTube video with Susskind, he was talking about his (good-natured) "feud" with Stephen Hawking. Funny stuff.

It's exactly what it was. So many times I threw that book at the wall.
FWIW I read a good chunk of it when as "management" I rode a buss through pickets lines when Crane in Stratford went on strike in 96. The union had a certain amount of time they were allowed to hold us up coming and going. Fun times. After the long day of work and busing I'd go home to hump shingles up a ladder for the garage I was building. Fun times indeed.

Yeah, getting some great recommendations from this thread!

Also, right time of year to be diving back into the books.
Who's got time for reading with 3 kids in the house! I'm lucky if I can go to the washroom for 5min without someone banging on the door.

'daddy...daddy...daddy...I need to poo now!'

No one reads Finnegans Wake ...PhD's are written on a few pages. Ulysses is bad enough.
MP - try audio books - partner gardens and listens, I ride and listen.
Chirp books are good deals.
I just grabbed 1667850689679.pngfor $2.99
He has a few others on sale as well. The Audible versions much more.

No one reads Finnegans Wake ...PhD's are written on a few pages. Ulysses is bad enough.
I just grabbed View attachment 58312for $2.99
I'm always listening to podcasts now. Especially 'Behind the Bastards' right now.

But I need a book to listen to just for a change. I'll check if some of these books are available through Libby.

Although finishing Moby Dick is probably one of the crowning achievements of my life so far
Now you can take on the Alexandria Quartet and learn a lot new words as I did and add a jewel in your crown ..... :coffee:
•••
Finnegans Wake lack of punctuation was accidental.. :sneaky:

LightCycle I assume you'ver read WIlliam Gibson. Neuroromancer where he coined cyberspace and others.? He lives on the Shaky Coast as well.
He is the author of Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Burning Chrome, Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties, Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, Zero History, Distrust That Particular Flavor, and The Peripheral. He lives in Vancouver, British Columbia, with his wife.
Peripheral is on Amazon and decent so far.

Thanks for the recommendation MacDoc. Interesting for sure, added to the list.

Here's one for you:
A modern classic, Einstein's Dreams is a fictional collage of stories dreamed by Albert Einstein in 1905, when he worked in a patent office in Switzerland. As the defiant but sensitive young genius is creating his theory of relativity, a new conception of time, he imagines many possible worlds. In one, time is circular, so that people are fated to repeat triumphs and failures over and over. In another, there is a place where time stands still, visited by lovers and parents clinging to their children. In another, time is a nightingale, sometimes trapped by a bell jar.

Now translated into thirty languages, Einstein's Dreams has inspired playwrights, dancers, musicians, and painters all over the world. In poetic vignettes, it explores the connections between science and art, the process of creativity, and ultimately the fragility of human existence.

Let me know if you want the digital version.

LightCycle I assume you'ver read WIlliam Gibson. Neuroromancer where he coined cyberspace and others.?

Yep, avid Gibson fan. Read all his stuff up to 2000; the year they all came out as well. Then got a little busy with work and then travel, and reading for pleasure dropped off for quite a few years, so I never got a chance to read his later stuff.

I've probably read more books in the last three years than the previous twenty...

and Number 13 in the Aubrey / Maturin 21 book series,

O'Brian makes me laugh .
'I will tell you what, Maturin, if this baby of ours has anything like the discontented, bilious, liverish expression you have brought down from town, it shall be changed out of hand for something more cheerful from the Foundling Hospital.'
••••
BTW I'll be back in Ontario next weekend and have a list of books up for grabs - email me for a list. Included is the whole series of Aubrey/Maturin historical novels in paperback amongst others....fair bit of sci-fi/fantasy, some bios etc.

I just grabbed View attachment 58312for $2.99

British high school English classes destroyed any preconceived notions about quite a bit of classical literature for me. Shakespeare was presented to us incessantly by some psychopath fanatic…and it all became bollocks quite quickly. The comedies weren’t funny and the tragedies not tragic. I’m sure if we weren’t force fed the stuff like some weird brainwashing mind control camp exercise some of it might have been fine.

One English teacher was actually ok. We had a few offbeat books from him that were actually pretty ok. He did spoil it with Lord of the Flies though.

Rant over.

In high school The Chrysalids & Ceasar and Cleopatra weren't bad. I tried to get them to do The Scarlet Pimpernel, but they wouldn't bite.

After putting it off too long, and previous discussions on here I wanted to gain some insight into the treatment of First Nations people by the Canadian and US govt…

Holy snap we were horrible. I know there’s also bias…but wow. Theft at its best.

1670873731157.png

Back
Top Bottom