What are you reading? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are you reading?

I have a 6-8 year old Kindle Paperwhite (7th gen?) and I consider it to be an essentially perfect product. Probably why Amazon has such a hard time adding useful features on new Kindles. Battery still lasts a month and it does what it needs to do just as well as a brand new Kindle. Only issue is the interface is a little laggy nowadays but I’m in zero rush to upgrade until this one dies.

Ended up gifting my old Kindle to a friend and bought the current Paperwhite Signature Edition (Amazon has them slightly used for cheaper than the basic model). Not super impressed by it compared to the old one.

It's only fractionally faster but still very laggy. The semi-glossy screen is a little annoying compared to the fully matte one on my old Kindle. Battery somehow seems worse.

On the plus side, the larger screen is nice, same with USB-C, and I'm sure I'll use the waterproof feature at some point. If I still had my old Kindle, there really would be no need to upgrade.

Currently reading The Master and Margarita, very good so far

The book Jane Campion based The Piano on

9781869413897.OL.0.m.jpg

The Story of a New Zealand River​

by Mander, Jane​

Ended up gifting my old Kindle to a friend and bought the current Paperwhite Signature Edition (Amazon has them slightly used for cheaper than the basic model). Not super impressed by it compared to the old one.

It's only fractionally faster but still very laggy. The semi-glossy screen is a little annoying compared to the fully matte one on my old Kindle. Battery somehow seems worse.

On the plus side, the larger screen is nice, same with USB-C, and I'm sure I'll use the waterproof feature at some point. If I still had my old Kindle, there really would be no need to upgrade.

Currently reading The Master and Margarita, very good so far

I have now spent just over a month with the Oasis, 3 books.
This thing is supposed to retail for $360.

I bought mine used for cheap to try it out. After trying it, there is no way that I would pay that kind of money for what amounts to a really crappy tablet. It's slow, the screen res should be good at this size but is somehow not.

I would have a really hard time recommending this to anyone, let alone the 500 dollar scribe.

I am thinking that a cheap tablet would do a much better job and have more functionality to boot.

Am I crazy?

I am thinking that a cheap tablet would do a much better job and have more functionality to boot.

Am I crazy?

Kind of. The biggest positives of Kindle's are the battery life and e-ink display. You are not going to get that on a cheap tablet. Resolution isn't great, but that's only an issue if you're reading graphic novels/books with diagrams. For normal text, it's a non-issue.

Can't speak to the Oasis, but the Paperwhite's at ~$100 are a pretty good balance for what it is.

I use an iPad as a reader. Mississauga library uses the Libby app, works well. I also use the iPad for email, web browsing etc..... not just an e reader. The iPad gets charged routinely every couple of days so battery life for the e reader function not an issue.

Got my 97 year old MIL an Amazon Fire android 10" tablet for $200 last year. She used to have a Kobo, but much prefers the Fire. Got the 10" one because fonts are adjusted to be large due to her vision issues. The only thing she uses it for is reading books she borrows through Libby, but of course it has full functionally for all of the usual tablet apps. She does all of her email and web browsing on her 24" all-in-one desktop where, again, I have adjusted display settings and accessibility such that she can see things properly.

Kind of. The biggest positives of Kindle's are the battery life and e-ink display. You are not going to get that on a cheap tablet. Resolution isn't great, but that's only an issue if you're reading graphic novels/books with diagrams. For normal text, it's a non-issue.

Can't speak to the Oasis, but the Paperwhite's at ~$100 are a pretty good balance for what it is.
I would have to try the Paperwhite, current version is 160 for the 16g version.
It just seems like it should be better for the money that they charge. It is unacceptably slow IMO.
I can see the point with battery life. I use it at home, so charging is not really an issue for me.

I use an iPad as a reader. Mississauga library uses the Libby app, works well. I also use the iPad for email, web browsing etc..... not just an e reader. The iPad gets charged routinely every couple of days so battery life for the e reader function not an issue.

Got my 97 year old MIL an Amazon Fire android 10" tablet for $200 last year. She used to have a Kobo, but much prefers the Fire. Got the 10" one because fonts are adjusted to be large due to her vision issues. The only thing she uses it for is reading books she borrows through Libby, but of course it has full functionally for all of the usual tablet apps. She does all of her email and web browsing on her 24" all-in-one desktop where, again, I have adjusted display settings and accessibility such that she can see things properly.

I am tempted to buy a similar priced tablet to the paperwhite and see how it does. I am sure if I went up to the 360 dollar price tag, it would blow the Oasis out of the water.

I’ve always leaned toward the Kobo as IIRC Kindle forced you to get books only from Amazon back in the earlier days.

Whereas Kobo you could get the anywhere. PDF, DOC, pirated or legal they all worked on the Kobo. Not so much on the Kindle.

I find reading on the iPad hurts my eyes and is horrible in the sunlight.

I read on the 13" retina laptop but in sepia mode - easier on the eyes. I like to be able to change the font size.
I use Calibre for books.
Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at Jun, 3    2023    8.56.56 PM.jpg
Otherwise it is audiobooks,

Just finished this.

40605223.jpg

Saw the movie first and I loved it, as I do most of Charlie Kaufman's films.

Was intrigued about the book that it's based on, so I picked this up. It's a fast read, I was pretty much done in one evening.

Wow. But also after finishing it, I was really impressed with how Kaufman adapted the book, making one small change at the end that made the ending a bit clearer.

There's a twist at the end that changes the entire premise of the book and the movie was more impactful the second time I watched it

I wonder if knowing the ending of the movie made me appreciate the book more? Most of the time I prefer the original book over the film/TV adaptation. I really liked this book, but I feel maybe watching the movie first (a couple of times even) gave me more insight because I knew what was coming, and I could immediately catch clues that I only would have picked up on subsequent readings. Also, as I was reading certain passages, I ended up looking at it from a screenwriter's viewpoint: "How would this effectively translate to the screen?" and then appreciating the way Kaufman did it.

Would I have enjoyed the book less if I hadn't had seen the movie? I don't really know.

Last edited:
Speaking of TV/movie adaptations, I'm currently watching Silo on Apple TV.

Intrigued enough that I started reading the book that it's based on:

13453029.jpg

I'm still at the beginning of the novel, but the TV series seems pretty faithful so far. I'm kind of worried about spoiling the TV series for myself, knowing the plot in advance. Maybe they'll change it? Who knows...

Good sale on The Hobbit on Audible. $3.43 so cheaper than buying credits.
51Qd38sRRxL._SL300_.jpg

Rest of LOTR also on sale.
•••••
Also following/reading Wool/Silo ...read it ages ago and really had forgotten it. Series seems faithful to the book. I'm about 60% finished reading the trilogy - way behind on the series as travelling. 🍿

Daughter bought me "Leathered" John Hopkins. Just started it. Great read so far.

Whew American Prometheus .....Oppenheimer Bio....267 pges in with 1928 to go :eek: ....fascinating but no wonder it took the 15 years to write. They got a well deserved Pulitzer tho
sysphis.jpg

Back
Top Bottom