We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 123 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

So I've just started Skeet shooting , I find it a lot more challenging to hit a moving target and after a lifetime of rifle shooting , learning shotgunning is a whole new thing. I'm digging it.

ps, UPS last week left a $5,000.00 Browning 12g on my porch, no sig , brown paper wrapped box. Just sitting by the door. Its a 725 sport O/U with grade 4 walnut. She's lovely.

So I've just started Skeet shooting , I find it a lot more challenging to hit a moving target and after a lifetime of rifle shooting , learning shotgunning is a whole new thing. I'm digging it.

ps, UPS last week left a $5,000.00 Browning 12g on my porch, no sig , brown paper wrapped box. Just sitting by the door. Its a 725 sport O/U with grade 4 walnut. She's lovely.

"Skeet" or "Trap"....?
I loves me some trap... Skeet I just can't get the hang of... Too fast for me Lol.

Very nice choice

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I have this..the comp version, not the tactical…mine has a longer barrel

Fires as fast as I can pull the trigger and will do it 7 times in a row. I still can’t hit fast flying things as often as I’d like but can destroy a cardboard target and turn it into holes pretty quickly. Very big holes indeed with slugs.

It does pretty well with clay targets though. My friends seem to like it too, it points well.

"Skeet" or "Trap"....?
I loves me some trap... Skeet I just can't get the hang of... Too fast for me Lol.

Skeet right now , I have a trap gun and like it however, the skeet is what my new playmates like. Its actually a game of geometry and a bit of math to go along with the moving pidgions.
I'm at 50% , where as my shooting pals are at 85-90% so I have some catchup to do .

For Skeet it appears O/U is the ticket , since you only ever fire 2 shells at a time. I may learn reloading over the winter if it keeps the costs down, but at $8 for 25 target loads I cant imagine I could load for less.

Skeet right now , I have a trap gun and like it however, the skeet is what my new playmates like. Its actually a game of geometry and a bit of math to go along with the moving pidgions.
I'm at 50% , where as my shooting pals are at 85-90% so I have some catchup to do .

For Skeet it appears O/U is the ticket , since you only ever fire 2 shells at a time. I may learn reloading over the winter if it keeps the costs down, but at $8 for 25 target loads I cant imagine I could load for less.

Component prices what they are it doesn't really make any sense to reload shotgun ammo... Especially for high volume shooting like trap/skeet

Reloading is cathartic. Get in a rhythm and zone out. Unless you are doing a ton of shells it will be hard to amortize out the cost of equipment and supplies to end up cheaper than off the shelf. It is possible to make custom loads that you cant easily buy if you want to play around with that though.

Reloading is cathartic. Get in a rhythm and zone out. Unless you are doing a ton of shells it will be hard to amortize out the cost of equipment and supplies to end up cheaper than off the shelf. It is possible to make custom loads that you cant easily buy if you want to play around with that though.

I can gar-an-tee that at todays prices it'll cost more to reload shot shells than to buy... 'Buy by the case if you want to save a few cents.
It's been this way for years already...
As for playing around with custom loads for trap/skeet... The parameters on what type of ammunition is allowed on trap/skeet fields is fairly strict, so... It's not like you can fiddle around too much with shot size, volume or power anyway.
Sure... For hunting, action games or just blasting... Load what you like :)

Before you do rpal check the situation at local ranges for memberships. Depending on where you live you may need to drive a fair way.

Before you do rpal check the situation at local ranges for memberships. Depending on where you live you may need to drive a fair way.

Agreed. They aren’t always close. There are several options within distance for me but TBH I just think it’s worthwhile to get the rpal sooner than later hoping they don’t change the rules too much and I’ve already got it. Id love to also join a range and take full advantage.

Gonna get PAL/RPAL end of november, we'll see where that gets me, at first my goal is to get more informed, we'll see if it becomes a hobby :)
What’s the process for this?
1. Course
2. Test
3. Kill / Hunt
?

Last edited:
Agreed. They aren’t always close. There are several options within distance for me but TBH I just think it’s worthwhile to get the rpal sooner than later hoping they don’t change the rules too much and I’ve already got it. Id love to also join a range and take full advantage.

I just rechecked my registration status at my local club and…..estimated wait time is 2 years. My current club is a 25 min drive away so not bad at all though.

What’s the process for this?
1. Course
2. Test
3. Kill / Hunt
?

2 day weekend course gets you pal, and rpal or hunting (provided you pass). If you choose rpal for the second day you have to do hunting separately or vice versa.

There’s also weekday evening courses but I did mine on the weekend

Edit: to actually hunt you need to get a game license and know what you’re hunting is in season. Licenses are specific to the different types of game.

I just rechecked my registration status at my local club and…..estimated wait time is 2 years. My current club is a 25 min drive away so not bad at all though.

None are “very” close to me but there are a couple en route to some of my regular travels. I haven’t looked recently but I’m sure the dates for new members are not in the immediate future

I figured i'll do it and worst case scenario i can't get restricted ones for now.

Similarly to when i got my motorcycle license, i did the m1 then the m2 course and i didnt get my motorcycle for another 2 years or so

But at least it's done and in the meantime i can take in all the information i can about it. Eventually i'd like to be able to hunt but we'll see how that goes. Funny enough i'm also taking up some intro to archery the same week so I'll get some other type of marksmanship as well. And that one is a lot more accessible

Back
Top Bottom